Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wiring Horn with Momo Steering Wheel and Steering Wheel Release Kit???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Horn with Momo Steering Wheel and Steering Wheel Release Kit???

I know how to wire up the aftermarket horn and getting the shoe horn and all of that. But the steering wheel release kit makes things a little fishier.

I just want to know if anyone has figured out a way to do it so that everytime you put the steering wheel on the horn works. The way i have it now(which i ******* hate cause it looks stupid with the steering wheel off) is that the wires hang out and i have to reconnect them to the steering wheel when i put it back on.

Is there anyway around this? Or am i fucked?

Any ideas or insights welcome. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

up
Old 01-03-2005, 06:02 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Good effing question. I am using the Tekniq quick release steering wheel in my EH2. It has a horn button and contacts, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to wire the SOB up. I've traced the horn wire into the SRS harness! How effed up is this?
Old 01-03-2005, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DaX)

Yea i have the Tekniq kit too, i'm stumped as to how to wire it up.

Old 01-04-2005, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for the wiring gurus.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:09 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i have the tekniq release hub too, bump. i'd really like to know
Old 01-05-2005, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Last night i looked at a buddy of mine's release kit. He has a Foxbody Mustang, he has a GT Grant steering wheel and i believe a GT Grant release kit. His horn works, because the release kit itself has 2 little ball bearings where the hub is, and the steering wheel adapter also has 2 little ball bearings. When they connect, they have constant power/ground and the horn button activates it.

The makers of the Tekniq kit didnt really give much thought to the horn situation in my opinion.

Bump for any ideas.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:56 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

My Tekniq kit has the two contacts you speak of...I just can't figure out how to wire the hub part into the horn for the car.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:12 AM

This helped me out.

http://importnut.net/civicsteeringswap.htm
Old 01-05-2005, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring Horn with Momo Steering Wheel and Steering Wheel Release Kit??? (nojoke)

Got a picture of the quick release? Maybe I can come up with an idea.

I have two cars with quick releases and I've mocked up horn buttons for both cars. I ended up not using the steering wheel horn button and instead, I used some small button-switches from radio-shack.

Old 01-05-2005, 06:25 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (5thgenh22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5thgenh22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This helped me out.

http://importnut.net/civicsteeringswap.htm</TD></TR></TABLE>

Man that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2005, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you guys want a quick fix and don't have time to wait for the shoe horn, just use a paper clip in place of the shoe horn, works great.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring Horn with Momo Steering Wheel and Steering Wheel Release Kit??? (Another Drew)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Another Drew &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Got a picture of the quick release? Maybe I can come up with an idea.

I have two cars with quick releases and I've mocked up horn buttons for both cars. I ended up not using the steering wheel horn button and instead, I used some small button-switches from radio-shack.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will try and come up with a pic to give you an idea.

That is the thing though, i want to be able to use the button that came with the steering wheel. I know how to wire up a separate button to make the stock horn work, but the design on this quick release makes it VERY difficult to use the button that came with the steering wheel.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5thgenh22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This helped me out.

http://importnut.net/civicsteeringswap.htm</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is a GREAT writeup and looks very clean, BUT he doesn't have a quick release. That's what's making this so difficult. Without the quick release, wiring the Momo by itself would have been cake.

Thanks guys! More ideas are welcome.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Wiring Horn with Momo Steering Wheel and Steering Wheel Release Kit??? (nojoke)

I used the NRG hub. I don’t think their is any way around your problem.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is a blow up from there site

Is your wired up like the one in the pic and it does not work?

Modified by rolow at 10:42 AM 1/5/2005
Old 01-05-2005, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

u have to purchase a shoe horn made for the older civics and crxs with non abs. its design to rub up against the momo hub to give u a contact point. from there u wire the other end of the shoe horn to the horn wire off the srs reel.

here u guys go, u can thank me now.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=273474
Old 01-05-2005, 09:41 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicSiRX)

The Horn Shoe is #15 in this picture...Expect to pay $3-$5 at your local dealership. It's $3.44 from HondaAutomotiveParts.com. This picture is for a 1988 Honda Civic DX, look under 'Combination Switch.'

And it's HORN SHOE...a Shoe Horn is something people use to help put on dress shoes.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was under the impression he installed the shoe horn already?
Old 01-05-2005, 09:48 AM

That sucks you guys are having problems.

The quick release I have has two contacts (they are just brass screws with big heads) on the male and female side of the release. The horn is wired normally from the hub...when the steering wheel is snapped on the screw heads contact each other which completes the connection.

I ripped my horn out anyway (not a daily driver car), but this method does work fine.

Might be something to look at for anyone in the market for a quick release hub.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring Horn with Momo Steering Wheel and Steering Wheel Release Kit??? (rolow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rolow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">here is a blow up from there site

Is your wired up like the one in the pic and it does not work?

Modified by rolow at 10:42 AM 1/5/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes i already have the horn shoe on and wired up.

If you look at the Snap Off Base Plate, those 2 contacts are in the middle there, but the Momo button has spade connectors and not contacts. A picture would make you understand the dilemma.

I will try and take a pic by tomorrow. Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

search for "momo horn". the install should be the same, except you hook up the tekniq hub part to the srs cable reel. then you hook up the steering wheel button to the quick release attachment wires.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:18 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dantastic)

Ok, I think I've finally got this going! I'm ordering a horn shoe from the dealership and it should be in next week, so I'll post back to let people know if I got it going or not. I pulled a little from everyone's writeups...here's what I did:

From Importnut.net:

I have already gotten my Tekniq snap off steering wheel on, but I pretty much followed the same directions as Importnut's site all the way down to removing the spiral cable.

My car is a 92 VX Civic, and it deviated a little here from his directions. There were two yellow SRS plugs on my fuse panel. I found accessing these easier after removing the lower panel and the metal knee bolster. One has two wires and plugs into the front of the panel. The other has four wires [all side by side] and plugged into a connector on top of the panel. I traced my horn wire to the second wire from the right [looking at the side of the plug where the wires went in] on the yellow SRS plug with 4 wires. While I was here, I went ahead and removed my entire SRS harness [all the wires in the yellow loom] and the SRS brain [five #30 torx screws]. I cut the 4 wire plug from the harness, leaving as much wire as possible on the horn wire. My car was never equipped with cruise control, so I just chopped the rest of the wires right by the connector.

Unlike Importnut's site, I don't want to wire in auxillary buttons...I want to use the horn button on my steering wheel.

From This Thread

I picked up where it says "How to make the horn work."

I ordered a Horn Shoe from a 1990 Civic DX, which is Honda Part Number 35259-SH3-A02. I haven't gotten the shoe yet so I don't know exactly what needs trimming, but after looking at the combination switch in my car and looking at his directions, I get the idea.

Looking in my picture a few posts down with the exploded view of the combination switch assembly, you can see that the horn shoe [#15 in the picture] has a female connector on the end. You can't see it very well in this picture because he already has the horn shoe plugged into it...

http://image01.webshots.com/1/...h.jpg

...but if you remove the combination switch [three screws behind the white plastic piece in the center of the combination switch] you can see the male spade connector where the horn shoe plugs in. Behind the combination switch on the headlight switch side there are two plugs, a big one and a small one. This picture here...

http://image01.webshots.com/1/...h.jpg

...shows the correct location for sticking the wire from your SRS harness to make the horn work.

I'm pretty damn sure this is going to work...I'll let everyone know!
Old 01-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

omg ppl, i posted the link to solve ur issues wit the horn using a tekniq quick release or similar qr systems. it shows u in detail how to wire up the horn using the shoe horn.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=273474
Old 01-10-2005, 06:46 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicSiRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSiRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">omg ppl, i posted the link to solve ur issues wit the horn using a tekniq quick release or similar qr systems. it shows u in detail how to wire up the horn using the shoe horn.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=273474</TD></TR></TABLE>

omg dewd, tat rite-up has some shitty wiring guidelines that I choose not to follow. Look at picture 15...he just crams the wire in the connector. I prefer a nice soldered connection.

Quick Reply: Wiring Horn with Momo Steering Wheel and Steering Wheel Release Kit???