Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wiring hell... floor and dash harness hacked up 98 cx hatch

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring hell... floor and dash harness hacked up 98 cx hatch

I recently bought a 98 civic hatch that was in some super rough shape.. I've been working to restore it and I've come to somewhat of a stand still..

I got the motor in and went to start it a week ago, when I plugged in the ECU I found a grey plug l(ike the ones on 96-98 engine harnesses) coming out of the dash/floor harness with the typical green plug. I disregarded that plug and just pluged in the motor harness and the green plug.. within 30 seconds the ECU had a pin on fire so I quickly shut off the car.

I believe the previous owner of the car has replaced the dash harness with a 99-00 harness along with repinning the green plug from the dash for some reason. I spent this past weekend repinning the green plug in an attempt to fix the problem. I started the car again and it ran without setting any ecu fires however I still have some missing features such as the tach and speedo.

Further inspection of the car revealed more problems such as; the fuel pump works intermittently but it doesn't blow a fuse.. also it will work continuously if I hot wire it to the battery, next the tail lights dont work neither do the head lights also the SRS light is on.. there are cut wires in the floor and i have no headlight plugs at all... some issues I am willing to sort out by reconnecting.

However I am curious to know if anyone could provide some help making this 99-00 dash harness work so that I don't have to pull the dash and replace the dash and floor harness. I guess I am looking for the easiest most cost effective way to fix all of my wiring issues.. It's beyond me why anyone would cut all of the random wires that were cut in this car. I can fix the tails and all of those fairly easily accessed wires so my real concern is the tach and speedo.. I feel like I am best off to just replace all of the car harnesses but I imagine that to be a lot of work. If anyone has experience making the 99-00 harness work with the 98 stuff please lmk.