Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wires on the brake fluid reservoir?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wires on the brake fluid reservoir?

Ok, doing my wire tuck and trying to get rid of all the crap I don't need. I know how to check my brake fluid, so can I get rid of the wires for the system, or what? What does it even go to? Does it trip a light or a buzzer or what? Is there anything special about this setup? Is it just the cap that makes it work? Can I just swap the cap and be back to square one, no wires?
Old 04-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Wires on the brake fluid reservoir?

Originally Posted by H23_del_soul
Ok, doing my wire tuck and trying to get rid of all the crap I don't need. I know how to check my brake fluid, so can I get rid of the wires for the system, or what? What does it even go to? Does it trip a light or a buzzer or what? Is there anything special about this setup? Is it just the cap that makes it work? Can I just swap the cap and be back to square one, no wires?
not sure really. i never thought about eliminating them. first guess would be that they go to the ecu and prevent the car from stating if they sense low brake fluid. the float in there is supposed to fall as the breaks wear but lots of "mechanics" add fluid because its low. so the float is supposed to tell the ecu that the breaks are low. this might trip the maintenance required light or a service reminder light. next guess--i wouldnt guess, i would get the wiring schematics out and see WTF the wires are for.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RICKSAUTOMOTIVE
not sure really. i never thought about eliminating them. first guess would be that they go to the ecu and prevent the car from stating if they sense low brake fluid. the float in there is supposed to fall as the breaks wear but lots of "mechanics" add fluid because its low. so the float is supposed to tell the ecu that the breaks are low. this might trip the maintenance required light or a service reminder light. next guess--i wouldnt guess, i would get the wiring schematics out and see WTF the wires are for.
I hope you're joking man. The wires are not connected to the ECU in any way. The only purpose of the float is to turn on the brake light in the dash. Leaving the wires disconnected will keep the light off. So in your case i would unplug the level sensor and tape over the plug to prevent moisture from getting in there, thren tuck it where ever you can.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ Correct. No ECU connection, just for the Brake light on the dash when the float sees low fluid.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97twodoor
I hope you're joking man. The wires are not connected to the ECU in any way. The only purpose of the float is to turn on the brake light in the dash. Leaving the wires disconnected will keep the light off. So in your case i would unplug the level sensor and tape over the plug to prevent moisture from getting in there, thren tuck it where ever you can.
thanks for the lesson in case i ever decide to eliminate my wires. notice that was my first guess. wrong but just a guess. i did get that the sensor trips a light of some kind (both dash lights in the gauge cluster unit). and my second guess would have been the right thing to do by getting the schematics out. now this guy that posted this thread can cut his wires without worry huh
Old 04-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I wasn't really worried about it, I pretty much already knew, I was just double checking, easier to ask now then panic later.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The sensor on the brake fluid is ONLY there to ell you low fluid. YOUR BRAKE light on the cluster illuminates to tell you this. it is only a warning light, it has no effect on the car starting. i would say reroute and tuck the wires, it is useful to notify you if you have a problem with your braking system WHILE driving.

**NOTE** you should never have to add brake fluid unless you are opening the lines (bleeding, changing calipers, changing lines)
Old 04-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I have already removed the brake light from the cluster, so thats a big no go anyway, lol.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why would you do that? now how will you know when your ebrake is up :-p
Old 04-09-2010, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know right?!? I hate all this dummy proof bull **** on my car, I know when it makes a noise what it is, I don't need a ****ing light to tell me!!!