Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

This winter was rough on underside of '99 EX sedan!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This winter was rough on underside of '99 EX sedan!

I just got under our '99 EX sedan to change the oil and noticed two things. First the fange between the exhuast downpipe before the cat was almost rusted away. Consumer reports stated that exhust was the weak spot on the '99's. Also just in this one season allot of the paint on the front subframe is flaking off with rust underneath it!! I have Rustcheck should I Rustcheck it again or sandblast and repaint with undercar black??
Old 05-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This winter was rough on underside of '99 EX sedan! (shortlid)

only if you plan on owning it for a while. I saw that on my car too, cancer everywhere. Damn winters....I feel ya bro.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:27 PM

Default Re: This winter was rough on underside of '99 EX sedan! (DeadEnd9009)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DeadEnd9009 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">only if you plan on owning it for a while. I saw that on my car too, cancer everywhere. Damn winters....I feel ya bro. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Ya, winter pwns my car.
Even some brackets in my engine bay are effected somehow.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't repaint the underside....instead, look for some type of rhino lining type material. It's not as heavy as you think.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, the exhausts rust. It's 7yrs old, so you got some life out of it.

The undercairrage, I wouldn't worry about. The underbody is going to outlast the usable life of the car. It's steel, so there's almost no way to keep the layer of corrosion off of it. By sandblasting or further treating, you're just removing metal and weakening what's there.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This winter was rough on underside of '99 EX sedan! (AutoXer)

Well the rust JUST started this year and the car only has 80k on it. I will keep it till 250k at least!!! So Maybe I should sand blast and rhino line. Or at least smear the rusting spots with grease or more Rustcheck.

For the exhuast flange on the downpipe just before the cat section. Should I just weld another flange on the down pipe? After the cat looks GOOD so maybe the PO already replaced the exhuast cat back.

I would have used Stainless with bigger than stock piping. How much would a header, a high flow cat and ss muffler and say 2 1/4" piping all the wayback sound and take away from my torque and MPG??
Old 05-23-2006, 01:05 PM

pack up and head west man, no snow, no salt, no cold, no costly repairs on rust, i lived in the midwest and dealt with the same sh*t, then i moved the hell outta there
Old 05-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This winter was rough on underside of '99 EX sedan! (formulafreeze)

Love to ski, snowshoe and was born Eastcoast ALWAYS Eastcoast. I have lived Mid-west and down South and NEVER moving back.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shortlid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well the rust JUST started this year and the car only has 80k on it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So you don't really have anything to worry about. If you don't get an underspray once and a while, no matter what you do, it'll corrode again. Best thing to do is just get it washed a couple times a month to get the salt off.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shortlid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Or at least smear the rusting spots with grease or more Rustcheck.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do not do this. It will effectively seal in the corrosion and accellerate it by trapping in moisture.

Old 05-23-2006, 04:04 PM

Default Re: This winter was rough on underside of '99 EX sedan! (AutoXer)

one thing ive heard is great for rust is POR paint over rust.
suposedly simply brush on and it seals the rust in suposedly stoping the rust. and ive also heard that it is realy hard s shouldnt chip or flake if properly applied.

i noticed when i bought my 99EX about a week ago it has a brand new exaust system from the front cat back. and preaty soon i want to throw on some headers on it which should look preaty sweet. I HOPE!
Old 05-23-2006, 04:06 PM
grammer nawzi

Default Re: This winter was rough on underside of '99 EX sedan! (addiction2bass)

Rhino lining sounds like the way to go on the under carriage.