Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

will the washer trick instead of camber kit mess up the sidewall ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will the washer trick instead of camber kit mess up the sidewall ???

im sure almost everyone knows about the washer trick for rear camber... now my question is that if i decide to go with the washer trick instead of grabbing some SPC or Ingalls ones for the rear will it mess up my sidewall at the track??? keep in mind i plan on mostly circuit racing, and its also my everyday car.... Ive seen cars at the track without camber kits have their tires fade away like there is no tomorrow and i cant have that... so will the washer prevent this???? any help is appreciated

**CLIFF NOTES** if a washer is used instead of a camber kit in the rear will the sidewalls still get messed up at the track (circuit) like a car with out a cambe kit or will it do the same job as a camber kit ???

Navid.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

washer space it out so that yuo get the camber that you need. this will prevent the tire form wearing unevenly. however, if your ca is lowered like three inches you will need about ten wahsers to space this out. you will have to use longer bolts. now the pressure on the bolt is not on the head of the bolt which is only a few mm from the frame, it is now somewhere about an inch worth of washers away from the frame. i know because i did this. in the process the bolts moved slightly when i would hit a bump, and they srtipped out the spot in the frame where they are bolted to. i had to helicoil it when i put my camber kit on.

in my opinion you should get the camber kit, i have SPC and it is good
Old 04-18-2004, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: will the washer trick instead of camber kit mess up the sidewall ??? (Navid OG)

I used washers in my rear for camber. When I took it to a shop that specializes in non-typical suspensions they told me that's just fine. They actually use washers to correct rear camber on dropped cars a lot. I'm dropped 2" and used 2 washers. You can get longer bolts if needed, but if you're slammed an actual kit would be better IMO.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:37 AM

Default Re: will the washer trick instead of camber kit mess up the sidewall ??? (IDriveAHonda)

im using the camber trick and it works like a champ
Old 04-18-2004, 10:33 AM

Default Re: will the washer trick instead of camber kit mess up the sidewall ??? (civicflnum1)

thanks for the input guys... btw the car is going to be lowered 2.75" (H&R race Springs) ...

anyone else with opinions?
Old 04-18-2004, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: will the washer trick instead of camber kit mess up the sidewall ??? (Navid OG)

I was told by them, using 4 washers is alright. So whatever that will correct. The rest is fine 'tuning' with their computer ****.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:48 AM

Default Re: will the washer trick instead of camber kit mess up the sidewall ??? (IDriveAHonda)

sounds good... thanks alot
Old 04-18-2004, 11:43 AM

when i bought my progress camber "KIT"... it came with adjustable ball joints ( which are awesome) and washers...each washer gives you about +.25 degrees. so like me i was - 2.00 in the rear, so i put 4 washers behind each bolt (2 per side) and my camber in the rear is at - 1.00 degree. which is stock for civics. 1 degree on paper may not seem like a big difference, but let me tell you...you will notice a big appearence difference, and your tires will love you.