Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Will virtually any honda engine (with in reason) mount in any del sol

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 10:17 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Will virtually any honda engine (with in reason) mount in any del sol

I am new here and dreaming of buying a a metallic green del sol with ameripol top. I'm not really picky on the year preferably a 95-97. I've been looking though all the engine types I'm new to imports and there are so many different engines it's crazy to me. I was wondering if i bought a 95 with high mileage and bought an engine with low miles but was made for a 97 -02 like a f20b with dohc (I realize that the engine obviously wasn't meant for a del sol) would it be able to fit after swapping the mounts and axles? Again I apologize I am new to this and am not a mechanic by no mean and probably shouldn't even be looking into this.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Will virtually any honda engine (with in reason) mount in any del sol

b series is easiest swap, h and k series not much worse. whats your usage gonna be and budget, boosted or n/a
never looked at the f series myself so cant say

B18c5 in my sol
Old 10-26-2013, 07:05 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Will virtually any honda engine (with in reason) mount in any del sol

i'm hohpefully going to be getting my cdl within the next month so it'll be my daily driver when I am home which'll be may 3 days a month. I want it to have some get up and go without sacraficing gas milage' What engine would you recomend
Old 10-26-2013, 07:10 AM
Trial User

i plan on boosting it a little bit, no turbo, I really don't have a set budget (i know i'll get people on here saying spend 20k but i'm ssaving) lets say 8k not including the price o the car
Old 10-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im very impressed with the power of my b18c5 compared to the D16y8 i have in my civic. just looking at numbers before i bought it i didnt think the difference would be that great but i was mistaken. i cant honestly speak on any others as ive never driven or ridden in anyother powered honda.

the b18 does suck more fuel but not a ton considering the power difference. i cant even begin to estimate numbers beacuse the way i drive, fuel economy isnt even considered so i dont bother to track it lol
Old 10-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I can't believe you tried to compare the b18c5 to a d-series........
Old 10-26-2013, 09:40 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$8000 will easily get you a B18C5 swap plus bolt-ons and a tune, which'll get you ~200-225 WHP. Alternatively, it could easily get you a B18C1 with forged internals, turbo, and a tune, to the tune of ~350-400 WHP.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:40 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by manchildjr
I am new here and dreaming of buying a a metallic green del sol with ameripol top. I'm not really picky on the year preferably a 95-97. I've been looking though all the engine types I'm new to imports and there are so many different engines it's crazy to me. I was wondering if i bought a 95 with high mileage and bought an engine with low miles but was made for a 97 -02 like a f20b with dohc (I realize that the engine obviously wasn't meant for a del sol) would it be able to fit after swapping the mounts and axles? Again I apologize I am new to this and am not a mechanic by no mean and probably shouldn't even be looking into this.
You'll have to do some searching. It has been done but for a f20b you'll probably need to get extra stuff where as a b-series is a relatively easy swap. If you're new to the Honda scene than I would go from there. When you are well knowledgable on advance swaps ( swaps that are a little more complicated than your average b-series swap ). Than prep the f20b and sell your current b-series than swap it in.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Trial User

Thanks for all you help. What engine do you think would be the best, affordable b engine? I also know turbos are bad on van engine but considering how "inexpensive" osme of these engines are should I honestly consider one? This is a tad off topic but i noticed that in some pictures i've seen around the web that the trunk came straight up. Do all of them do this or just certain ones?
Old 10-26-2013, 10:06 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The best won't be cheap, and the cheap ones won't be best. An LS (B18B1) swap would be the cheapest, an ITR (B18C5) would be best on it's own, an ITR with boost would be the best period, and a GSR (B18C1) with boost would be the best within your budget.

A properly setup and tuned turbo is not "bad" on an engine - whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
A properly setup and tuned turbo is not "bad" on an engine - whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about.
Thanks for the heards up on that. I've really wanted a car with a turbo but certain posts have saused me to stray with comments like "turbos are on'y good if your a fan of blowing up good engines." and stuff along that line.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all you help. What engine do you think would be the best, affordable b engine? I also know turbos are bad on van engine but considering how "inexpensive" osme of these engines are should I honestly consider one? This is a tad off topic but i noticed that in some pictures i've seen around the web that the trunk came straight up. Do all of them do this or just certain ones?
How about you do some research of your own rather than expect everyone to spoon feed you the info as they have been doing.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:01 PM
Fish Twig

Yea I figured it would lead to a "what would be best in my car" post. anything is better than what you have right now. Take a pick and go with it.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

he doesnt even have a car yet...seems like someone shoukdve pointed him to the faq by now....
Old 10-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by speedjunkie_g35
How about you do some research of your own rather than expect everyone to spoon feed you the info as they have been doing.
I have been doing research, i have very limited internet access (thanks to hughsnets data limit) so I can't browse and browse and browse. What is a forum if it isn't a place to ask questions? In other chatrooms I "spoon feed" people information and never complain about. I never thought it was a big deal. I didn't even realise that there was a FAQ room
Old 10-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes a forum is to be able to ask questions but asking what motors can fit in a del sol show a lack of research because I can type in motor swaps for civic/ delsol in google and come up with thousands of threads that cover that info. It becomes annoying seeing threads like this where someone didn't search for the info and rather create a thread asking others to provide info. It comes off as lazy, not saying you are. And then when you have the new guys doing this everyday 1000x, it clutters the forum and makes it more difficult to find the purtanant info needed!
Old 10-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in my opinion the best bet for him would be a b16 its affortable and easy to swap in with decent power
Old 10-26-2013, 05:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

No. Just...no. All B16 variants are gutless, torqueless wastes of money. If you're swapping, get at LEAST a 1.8L motor.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Trial User

yeah, i think i'm going to go with a b18c, They seem to be the easiest to swap while still getting good power.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:32 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how bout you worry about getting the car first?
Old 10-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

del sol's are GEH....get an integra at least....
Old 10-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
del sol's are GEH....get an integra at least....
u.s. integras are hideous. at least with a del sol youre not reminded of how much nicer the jdm model looks every time you walk to it.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No but with a del sol you're reminded of the creakiness and leaks associated with owning a del sol
Old 10-27-2013, 10:18 PM
Trial User

I first seen a Del Sol when I was 12 and have wanted one ever since. It took me a few years to even figure out what the car was because nobody drives hondas around here. I like the one of a kind look, you won't mistake it for a casual sedan like a 4 door civic and as for integras I just didn't care much the body style, they look cool but I wouldn't buy one. I like the targa top and the fact that the rear window comes out. The only other car i've seen do something like that (not including t-tops) are newer corvettes, the window doesn't remove and and they cost a lot even the wierd years.

To the person who said how about i worry about getting the car first: If I know what engine I want I maybe able to find one with it already in it but incase i can't I'd like to know what to expect getting one in it.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I first seen a Del Sol when I was 12 and have wanted one ever since. It took me a few years to even figure out what the car was because nobody drives hondas around here. I like the one of a kind look, you won't mistake it for a casual sedan like a 4 door civic and as for integras I just didn't care much the body style, they look cool but I wouldn't buy one. I like the targa top and the fact that the rear window comes out. The only other car i've seen do something like that (not including t-tops) are newer corvettes, the window doesn't remove and and they cost a lot even the wierd years.

To the person who said how about i worry about getting the car first: If I know what engine I want I maybe able to find one with it already in it but incase i can't I'd like to know what to expect getting one in it.
Unless you get it already swapped, you're going to be limited to either a D series or a B16 engine in a del sol.

And if you really wanted to do this, you'd have done at least some basic research and already known the types of engines that come in the Del Sol. That's why people are saying you expect to be spoon fed, you've just spouted "HEy, I waNAN sWap an EnGiNE in a SOl how Do I dO tHat?" and expected to be given an A-Z handbook.

John

Quick Reply: Will virtually any honda engine (with in reason) mount in any del sol