Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Will I get more hp from a header or exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 04:55 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will I get more hp from a header or exhaust?

I have a 2000 SiR with an AEM cai, just wondering, between a DC ceramic
4-2-1 and a APEXi World Sport (one or the other) which would I notice more response, hp, and torque???
Old 06-19-2001, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will I get more hp from a header or exhaust? (00_sir)

you will find more useable power with the header system. The exhaust will help out, but the header would be the first mod I would go for....if you want to produce power. Exhausts sound good, and look good... but bang for the buck and overall increased power... go with the header first.
Old 06-20-2001, 08:46 AM
BBA
New User

Default Re: Will I get more hp from a header or exhaust? (X2BOARD)

Yea, what X2BOARD said. Swapping out the stock exhaust system isn't going to do anything for you performance wise, only cosmetic & sound. The header will give you VERY small gains but they will still be more than the exhaust. I have an APEX-i GT 4-2-1 SS header and am very pleased with it.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would suggest getting a header and save up a little more to atleast get a muffler (back half). It will atleast be something. They sell cheap mufflers everywhere now a days. You don't need brand name, maybe something like the 5Zigen style. They are good, a bit loud... but they do the job. Just get both, it will be better.
Old 06-20-2001, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will I get more hp from a header or exhaust? (Loco Honkey)

What??? You guys must have taken the same stupidity class.

The EK SOHC manifolds aren't too bad in design. ALOT better than the EF manifolds. But the exhausts still suck. Anyway, if you put a header on... think about it... You've still got the stock exhaust to go through, so why even bother? What little you may gain from headers, you loose because you've still got the stock exhaust to go through.
Agreed. The power you gain through just installing a header is all sapped if you still have your restrictive stock exhaust. If you really want to help your car exhale better, a header and a cat back exhaust will help free up some more hp...
On another note, just putting on a header and a axle back muffler will also result in pretty much the same results as a header with the stock exhaust due to the fact that you still have your stock exhaust piping all the way through. Your car will still be restricted. If you get an axle back and some custom piping, that would work, or just get a cat back and that combined with the header will help your car's performance a bit...
Old 06-20-2001, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All I know for sure is that...
Anything is better than the stock pea shooter muffler Civic's come with.
I understand that Piping will infact help, but why does Mugen only offer a catback for the Type R EK, and only axle back for the other models (EK4 SiR). Maybe sometimes a car can be too free flowing. Does that make any sense. I know that when a car has no muffler, it kind of lags (no back pressure) unless your car is pretty quick. Remember, this guy has an SiR, maybe Mugen knows something that "we" don't.
If you want, another option is Just buy a DC sports race pipe/header combo. This will knock off the whole Muffler section all together. I think it's great, not only will you be UNrestricted, but you will also be loud and obnoxious.
Old 06-20-2001, 01:07 PM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to jump in and throw a wrench in it.

My first question is, what do you plan to do with your car?

If you want the look, sound, and a bit of performance, then get the exhaust. You'll feel more so that's $$$ worth well spent. It will be a better investment in the long run because everything behind the cat will more likely to rust, compare to the front of it. So a good stainless steel system will last the life of the car.

The header is great if you got the $$$$, AND you need the edge in racing or etc. If you don't do a lot of WOT driving, then don't bother. What ever hp you get (if any) in low rpm day to day driving will be hardly noticable to make much difference. The stock header is ok, and not that bad.

My opinion is that the stock system (header/exhaust) is fine right out of the factory. The biggest problem in the flow is the stock muffler. It's cheaper for the Honda to use "sound deflection" designs instead of "sound absorption" materials.

Old 06-20-2001, 01:23 PM
New User

There was a section at the integra dyno center where someone put on a dc 4-1 header, He claims it made ai big difference top end, but killed the torgque. As well he said he ran a 15.1 before, and a 15.2 after the header was installed. Might wanna wait til you get some more torque before thinking about a header.
Old 06-20-2001, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will I get more hp from a header or exhaust? (Loco Honkey)

The Canadian SiR is just a 1.6 SOHC VTEC? Damn, no offense... But what a tough name for a car and no B16 to back it. Sorry, I figured it was a twin cam. I also feel jacked, I have a 1.5L DX motor... do I really need to explain. Headers on a DX?... Why bother. Damn, well atleast your car came with nice emblems For the EX(SiR), maybe just stick to DC.. they aren't that expensive and availability on them is pretty easy.
Good Luck.
Loco Honkey: Damn, you learn something new everyday.

[Modified by ek_mr5, 4:00 PM 6/20/2001]
Old 06-20-2001, 07:41 PM
New User

Default Re: Will I get more hp from a header or exhaust? (ek_mr5)

Hey Loco...I think your mistaken, yes I have a CDN SiR, however our SiR is the same as your Si......exactly same car 1.6 DOHC....
Old 06-20-2001, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member