Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

This is why you don't buy an EK at night...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 07:52 PM
NHB
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is why you don't buy an EK at night...

Although I got this car for peanuts, I probably would have thought twice about it had I been a little more careful in checking things out. All the other fixes are going to be gravy except for this one...

I did notice the FUBAR camber right away, but I assumed (like an ***) that it was simply a bent rear RTA or LCA. Sorry these pics are not re-sized properly BTW.

For comparisons sake here's my undamaged right side rear.

And here's the reason I'm posting. Before you all finish spasming in your chairs, I'm afraid I can't take the credit for that ghetto *** attempt at a repair job. Seems like the previous owner gave it the old college try...the scary part is he had his daughter driving around on that relocated bolt. (until she broke the T-belt)

I'm assuming the fender bender story he told me was seriously watered down. From what I can see, the car hit on the front fender, spun around and smacked something low and aft, bending the rear LCA, then perhaps hopped a curb? I can't figure out how that rear subframe was bent up and in so sharply; I don't think a high curb strike would leave such a deep dent...

It doesn't really matter anyways--now it's my problem to fix. Here is another shot with the wheel included, and another pic of Mr. Wizard's re-located hole and flange bolt.

Nasty eh?

Obviously he was trying to correct all the positive camber by pulling the entire assembly outboard... If it's bad now, the car must have looked totaled before he did the jury-rig.

Tracking down a replacement rear LCA is no biggie...but what about that damn subframe? Even if there was room to pull the bolt any further out, I wouldn't do it for safety and alignment reasons.

I don't see how that damaged half of the rear subframe could ever be coerced back into some semblance of normalcy. In the future I'd like to try and get this EK aligned again--maybe not perfectly, but enough so that the car isn't eating tires every few months.

So...I know some of you have been rounds with the bodyshops before, or perhaps even work at one--what's the procedure here? Are most shops going to want to fabricate a shim/filler plate, or are they going to insist on replacing that entire portion of the subframe? I had zero luck tracking down any sort of replacement parts/info for the rear subframe online today: OEM, aftermarket, or junkyards. (granted I have not called dealer parts yet)

I thought about trying to get around it by using some sort of longer R.LCA from another car to zero out the camber, but I quickly realized how stupid that would be to even try.

Anyone been in to get repairs for damage similar to this on a 96-00? I HATE paying for labor, but I'm not a welder...

If anyone has any ideas on how I can get out of this mess without spending a real shitream of money, I would sure love to hear your advice (or scorn for not checking the suspension more carefully )
Old 06-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: This is why you don't buy an EK at night... (NHB)

thats an easy job, compared to most. you can buy that subframe support from the dealership, then have it welded back on.(could be honda's way of getting rich on a poor design. LOL) if this was my car i would have the dealership do the work, no matter if it was more expensive. you dont want to have any other problems. and the dealership are expensive, they will guarantee the work. and they will do the work as factory adding the sealer and rust preventive paint. will other shops?? most likely not

i say a 300-400 job

Modified by cxSHOE at 9:25 PM 6/10/2007
Old 06-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

omg.. you got fucked on that one... TTT this guy needs some help... to bad sellers
Old 06-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: This is why you don't buy an EK at night... (cxSHOE)

I agree, have the dealer do it.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: This is why you don't buy an EK at night... (cxSHOE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats an easy job, compared to most. you can buy that subframe support from the dealership, then have it welded back on. if this was my car i would have the dealership do the work, no matter if it was more expensive. you dont want to have any other problems. and the dealership are expensive, they will guarantee the work. and they will do the work as factory adding the sealer and rust preventive paint. will other shops?? most likely not

i say a 300-400 job</TD></TR></TABLE>

ive seen that fixed many times. its just as simple as cutting that one piece off another car and welding it back on.

if you look, you can see that piece is just welded on anyways
Old 06-10-2007, 08:35 PM

if it makes u feel any better.. my mom and bro bought me a car with frame damage
Old 06-10-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: This is why you don't buy an EK at night... (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I agree, have the dealer do it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 06-10-2007, 08:58 PM
NHB
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This is why you don't buy an EK at night... (92ehatch)

Thnx for the heads up cxSHOE. I'm curious to see what the dealer will want for that replacement. I agree it would be nice to have the dealership service shop make this all better for me...But, I'm still hoping to keep the bill around $500 though, so I'll likely save them as my last option.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92ehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ive seen that fixed many times. its just as simple as cutting that one piece off another car and welding it back on.

if you look, you can see that piece is just welded on anyways</TD></TR></TABLE>

Interesting you bring that up. I was wondering about it as I examined the weld lines this morning. The replacement subframe may be a single piece, but for all intents and purposes it's just a 3 piece assembly welded into one, and then welded onto the car, right?

I can think of several possible places to get that corner chunk, but I'd be relying on a junkyard dog to cut it off for me. (and at the yards I go to, those guys are usually still drunk by the time I show up--I almost crawled on top of one of em passed out in the back of an old EG few months back )

You guys are going easy on me. I still can't believe more lights didn't go off when I saw that positive camber...

Old 06-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, NHB...that sucks! Not only should you not buy a car at night b/c you can't see details like that, but my family and I have always believed that buying a car at night is bad luck.

There is a looooong history of peeps we know that buy a car at night, and have a strew of bad luck with the car.

But, I'm sure you'll be just fine. Take it back to the dealer immediately and have them fix it. If not, consult a lawyer--they have to disclose broken crap like that. ESPECIALLY since most dealers do inspections b4 selling. Good luck, man!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:18 PM
NHB
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This is why you don't buy an EK at night... (EM-One)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EM-One &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, NHB...that sucks! Not only should you not buy a car at night b/c you can't see details like that, but my family and I have always believed that buying a car at night is bad luck.

There is a looooong history of peeps we know that buy a car at night, and have a strew of bad luck with the car.

But, I'm sure you'll be just fine. Take it back to the dealer immediately and have them fix it. If not, consult a lawyer--they have to disclose broken crap like that. ESPECIALLY since most dealers do inspections b4 selling. Good luck, man!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Shoot--I should have been more clear in OP. I bought this from a guy in my area through the classifieds, not at the dealership. Believe me, if a used car lot had sold me this car, I would have gone back and raised all sorts of hell.

You are most definitely right about the bad luck in choosing to buy this EK, though. If the rainy, gloomy night hadn't been a big enough hint, the daughter's rumpled, bloodstained, Tweety-Bird panties I discovered in the trunk (which read: 'Yummy" I swear to God) should have been ample warning to stay away.

No...this little gem came from an old man who loves only MOPAR. His three teenage daughters all drive Hondas--or at least they TRY to... I'm a little salty that he didn't disclose the fact that he attempted this repair, but since the title is clean and I'm not too far into it yet dollar wise...I'm still hoping to come out on top in the end.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This is why you don't buy an EK at night... (EM-One)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EM-One &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is a looooong history of peeps we know that buy a car at night, and have a strew of bad luck with the car.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hear u on this one, i bought a 91 civic hatchback clean as hell all original paint in the silver color. This car looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor. 3 months later the car was toatled out by a senior citizen who T-Boned me. the passenger side of the hatch was caved in 2.5'- 3' im just glad i had to passengers that day.

Modified by humbleg at 11:23 PM 6/10/2007
Old 06-10-2007, 10:14 PM

DAMN, that **** is jacked, You can replace it but still.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:54 PM

weak
Old 06-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This is why you don't buy an EK at night... (jagoff)

how much did you get the car for??

Old 06-10-2007, 11:26 PM

wow thats so unbeliveably ghetto-fied, thats easily a lawsuit for 1500 dollars, if they would not have messed with it they could have said they didnt know about the damage but since they ghetto fixed it and didnt tell you thats completely fucked up,

tell him to give you 1000 or 1500 back and you wont sue him

unless he told you the subframe of the car was fucked up then nm
Old 06-10-2007, 11:29 PM
NHB
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This is why you don't buy an EK at night... (Harryflores)

He did admit to me right off it had been in an accident and he'd "replaced the fender, headlight and some other 'stuff'", so I don't know if I would have much of a case. Other than the fact that he is a douche for knowingly selling it like that, I'd probably have a hard time going back now and crying foul...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaZDiLI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DAMN, that **** is jacked, You can replace it but still.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL!

That's sums it up pretty good.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Harryflores &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much did you get the car for??

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Three digits

Modified by NHB at 12:43 AM 6/11/2007
Old 06-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats ridiculous, thats gunna be fun to fix
Old 06-10-2007, 11:57 PM
Sol to Sol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: This is why you don't buy an EK at night... (solattack77)

Another reason not to buy a car at night. Last week, someone came to town at 10:30 pm to buy a car he found on the net.

Instead, someone came up to him at the place he was meeting the 'seller', then robbed, shot and killed him!

SO, don't buy at night, or in strange neighborhoods either!
Old 06-11-2007, 12:11 AM

Default Re: This is why you don't buy an EK at night... (JarvisW)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JarvisW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Another reason not to buy a car at night. Last week, someone came to town at 10:30 pm to buy a car he found on the net.

Instead, someone came up to him at the place he was meeting the 'seller', then robbed, shot and killed him!

SO, don't buy at night, or in strange neighborhoods either!</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn u serious? i was going to buy an impala for 100 ucks down at compton
Old 06-11-2007, 12:12 AM

Default Re: This is why you don't buy an EK at night... (951BRO)

i say cut the pieace off fix everything thats wrong with it and just drive it or sell it for a hefty profit
Old 06-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This is why you don't buy an EK at night... (JarvisW)

a few basic rules I use for buying a used car:
-NEVER buy/look at a car at night
-if a seller seems pushy/shady, just GTFOOT(get the *** out of there)
-really test drive the car(shift in several points throughout the RPM range(I typically use 2, 4, & 6K rpms in EVERY gear to see if tranny has any grinds....if a buyer tells me not to, I'll leave on the spot, probally something to hide)

Old 06-11-2007, 12:26 AM

Default Re: This is why you don't buy an EK at night... (broketuner-Sol_Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by broketuner-Sol_Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a few basic rules I use for buying a used car:
-NEVER buy/look at a car at night
-if a seller seems pushy/shady, just GTFOOT(get the *** out of there)
-really test drive the car(shift in several points throughout the RPM range(I typically use 2, 4, & 6K rpms in EVERY gear to see if tranny has any grinds....if a buyer tells me not to, I'll leave on the spot, probally something to hide)</TD></TR></TABLE>

well if he got an EK for only 3 digits

100-999 id say its a good deal either way as he mentioned CLEAN title
Old 06-11-2007, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This is why you don't buy an EK at night... (951BRO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 951BRO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well if he got an EK for only 3 digits

100-999 id say its a good deal either way as he mentioned CLEAN title </TD></TR></TABLE>

true, I must've skipped that part....for that amount of money, I'd probally break te night rule too
Old 06-11-2007, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Goodluck.... Hopefully you've learned a lesson.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You might want to consider buying an ASR brace for under there when thats fixed, for an extra piece of mind

Goodluck

Quick Reply: This is why you don't buy an EK at night...