Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Why the stock B16a IM rules...according to the book "How to Build Honda Horsepower"

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why the stock B16a IM rules...according to the book "How to Build Honda Horsepower"

Just got the book "How to Build Honda Horsepower" by Richard Holdener. Came out in 2002. The author claims, according to dynoplots, that the B16a intake manifold pretty much rules (on b16a tested vehicles) over several intake manifolds. According to the published dynoplots here are some results Type-R (lost 12 whp), venom (lost 11 whp and tq), skunk2 ( lost 12 whp and tq), STR (lost 15 whp, venom gaines 13 tq...weird). The midrange gains over most of these IMs are impressive. Only when a car has a raised rev limit do the other IMs shine. Thing is, the dynoplots don't compare 9K on the B16a and others. The b16a plots always stop at 8k.
It is a pretty good book overall. Lots of dynoplots. Unfortunately not enough background on each buildup, tho.
Then he goes on to talk about a "killer Bee Racing" modified B16a IM and how it added an extra 7 whp and 4 tq over the stock B16a IM. Man! I did a google search for "killer bee racing" and didnt't come up with a link as to where to buy this piece of engineering magic. Maybe this guy works at killer bee, heheh.

Anyway, I'm now debating the installation of a skunk2 IM on my B16a. Do you all think that increased compression would be a factor in IM performance? I've heard the mantra "skunk2/ITR IMs will lose you some midrange but gain you 5-8 on top". According to these dynoplots, the tradeoff is pretty poor and nowhere near 5-8 on top.