Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Why isnt there a standard spark plug reccomendation per model

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why isnt there a standard spark plug reccomendation per model

Just bought a 97 HX, I just ordered plugs on eBay. I bought ZFR5F-11, Turns out that's the wrong model I messaged the guy, asked him if he can change it for ZFR4F-11 as in another thread here it was said the 5f was bad for the car.

Then I read I should get bkr7e-11 plugs, I emailed the seller on eBay first asking if he can switch the order to the 4F's, then I emailed him and said I would also like bkr7e-11.

I don't even know if the guy will swap them for me anyway, Just seems silly that 18 years after the motors are released we cant agree on a single spark plug model.

Last edited by bubdubs; 03-05-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:29 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Why isnt there a standard spark plug reccomendation per model

Originally Posted by bubdubs
...Just seems silly that 8 years after the motors are released we cant agree on a single spark plug model.
18 not 8, and maybe you need to rely on the Factory Service Manual and OEM parts.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quite helpful thank you, now if only we could talk about the actual topic for a moment I'd appreciate it.

Just to recap for those a bit slow, I already paid for the plugs I realized I may have made a mistake in the model #, a simple error you see, And I would like to know if the 5f is possibly dangerous to run in my motor and if so, should I switch them for the 4f's or the bkr73-11's
Old 03-05-2015, 02:50 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought I was on the actual topic. Seems you have found your answer in the link(s) you're referencing. Maybe you can provide a link to them for others to read? Anyways, like I said maybe you need to use the FSM and OEM parts. You don't seem to trust the info here (specifically in that thread) enough to commit either which way. By using OEM parts you eliminate any doubt that you may have that's why I mentioned it.

I recall reading some time ago how the NGK part number breaks down into a specific heat range. If that thread didn't make mention of that, it would be worth it to research that to give you a bit of insight as to what the actual difference is. Or maybe someone will chime in and say it's OK to use those.

EDIT: for the sake of being "helpful" ZFR4F-11 is called out on Majestic Honda's site. Up to you if you want go with them or not.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

On my stock motor the standard spark plug recommendation is on the upper timing belt cover.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies, Sorry for being a bit rude in my initial reply I took your comment the wrong way. Unfortunately he already shipped out the 5f's I have read multiple people have used them with no trouble, Though I still have three weeks before the cars on the road and much more parts coming via mail so maybe I have enough time to send it back and have the seller send me the 4f So I can install everything at once.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I put autolite xp iridiums in my hx. I have no complaints, just hoping for a slightly hotter plug to run a little leaner for extra gas mileage. Noticed no difference in mileage or performance

Any parts store should have them in stock locally, if you went through the trouble of ordering on eBay I would have just gotten a factory tune up kit with wires cap and rotor and plugs.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its not registered so I could only walk to autozone as its within 1/2 a mile, I don't really have anyone who can/will give me rides. They didn't have ngk's at all. I should of picked up just some autolites but the car wont be on the road for three more weeks so I dont mind the wait, esp if I can get it cheaper. I do have new wires waiting, The cap looks like its been replaced recently but ill check it and the rotor.

I've also got the oil change covered, valvoline high milage 5w-30 and an oil filter for 24$ at the same autozone. Its got a new catback exhaust so I've also have a silencer on its way.

If I didn't already have most of the stuff I would of jumped on one of those ebay tuneup kits.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The underhood label should tell you as well
Old 03-05-2015, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks I should have the right one on the way with a few other goodies in the trunk, a few in the mail and 2 I really want to pull the trigger on but I cant just splurge on "unnecessary" items
Old 03-05-2015, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Old 03-05-2015, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its not registered so I could only walk to autozone as its within 1/2 a mile, I don't really have anyone who can/will give me rides. They didn't have ngk's at all. I should of picked up just some autolites but the car wont be on the road for three more weeks so I dont mind the wait, esp if I can get it cheaper. I do have new wires waiting, The cap looks like its been replaced recently but ill check it and the rotor.

I've also got the oil change covered, valvoline high milage 5w-30 and an oil filter for 24$ at the same autozone. Its got a new catback exhaust so I've also have a silencer on its way.

If I didn't already have most of the stuff I would of jumped on one of those ebay tuneup kits.
No, they have them. I'm a store manager for autozone, I transferred the NGk 4f plugs into my store to make sure I had them as backup in case I had any hiccups with irridiums.

I have at least 80 different varieties of NGk plugs in stock, from the basic copper tr555 ones I run in the camaro, to the laser tip iridium for $16.99 a plug on my 2011 fusion. No idea where you live but I'm Dallas Texas outlying area store and all the stores have them here

As with any parts store, it is all about who works there, and not so much about the company they represent.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
No, they have them. I'm a store manager for autozone, I transferred the NGk 4f plugs into my store to make sure I had them as backup in case I had any hiccups with irridiums.

I have at least 80 different varieties of NGk plugs in stock, from the basic copper tr555 ones I run in the camaro, to the laser tip iridium for $16.99 a plug on my 2011 fusion. No idea where you live but I'm Dallas Texas outlying area store and all the stores have them here

As with any parts store, it is all about who works there, and not so much about the company they represent.
Well I walked there, asked them for ngk plugs for a 97 honda hx and was told they didn't have them, also saw the screen and it was all autolite and Bosch, Nothing more I could do about it I cant go back there and say well someone on the internet says that work at an autozone and he says you guys definitely have them so gimmie.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Well I walked there, asked them for ngk plugs for a 97 honda hx and was told they didn't have them, also saw the screen and it was all autolite and Bosch, Nothing more I could do about it I cant go back there and say well someone on the internet says that work at an autozone and he says you guys definitely have them so gimmie.
You could just call them on the phone. Employees at retail stores make mistakes sometimes.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:07 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Also while on the phone, even if they don't have any in stock, they can get them in to their store probably faster than you can get them shipped to you from ebay or amazon.com etc.

Not sure if your parts stores are like ours in BC Canada, but the more you buy from them, the better deals they will give you. They don't exactly have a set markup on their parts and the guy at the counter often flies by the seat of his pants when choosing a price to quote you.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Also while on the phone, even if they don't have any in stock, they can get them in to their store probably faster than you can get them shipped to you from ebay or amazon.com etc.

Not sure if your parts stores are like ours in BC Canada, but the more you buy from them, the better deals they will give you. They don't exactly have a set markup on their parts and the guy at the counter often flies by the seat of his pants when choosing a price to quote you.
It's hard to hire good help at any parts store. You can also shop online and pick up the parts in the store at autozone, so next time you have to walk up there they have the part you want and not the part the computer tells them is for your car.

They will also offer price matching to other competitors and amazon and rock auto as long as the online price from rock auto includes next day delivery because that's how autozone ships all products and reasons the price difference.

Oh and also the 4f plug will not come up under the hx model, it will for a DX or ex though
Old 03-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies, but like I said the car wont be on the road for another two weeks or so, I'm not really in a huge hurry for spark plugs. The ebayer I bought the 5f's is willing to do a swap so I may go that route or just use them as Ive read other people have 5f's in a hx and the car didn't implode.

Also most things are cheaper online and if I can save a few bucks here and there I may be able to squeeze in a new short throw shifter and bushings before I put the car on the road. I've driven it a few times and it just seems like it would be also a whole nother civic with so many new/upgraded parts.