Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Why I will not buy AEM anymore.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Br1anPham)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Br1anPham &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mine broke too!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Was it the new design or the old one?

As to the original question, give AEM a chance. I will be surprised if they leave you out in the cold. We run thier cam gears, the 3 bolt not 5, on a 1200 WHp Supra and have not had a problem. We are sponsored by them and to be honest I told them i didn't want to run the cam gears. They assured me that they would be fine, actually my rep who I know and trust told me that out of his own curiosity in response to all of the internet back lash he installed one of the 3 bolt gears onto an old cam locked into the vice and torqued away. The gear didn't slip and the cam broke before the gear. For what it's worth....though I put more stock in our own emerical eveidence.

I would check to see that your cam is spinning freely as well after such a new head build before I possibly go ape **** on the wrong guy. I deal with Lawson Mollica, he is as cool and helpful as any man I have encountered in the Import business.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (moto1320)

I've been running this setup for a year before my head went poop on me the first time because a retainer failed. After I had that repaired, I had been driving it for a month before the cam gear broke. When I had it rebuilt, the only thing that was changed was new retainers and new keeps for the retainers. I used the same valve train assembly and the same compcam springs I'd run for a year prior to the cam gear snapping. Right now I'm just assuming that it was a flawed gear, and I'll let them have their chance to explain and make things right.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (burningwrek)

I always approach these situations reasonably, it usually helps against an already stacked deck. Clutch Masters and I had a very similar issue that led to me being screwed. Hopefully it was a bad batch and all will be made well. Good luck man.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (moto1320)

im curious why couldnt they have made it a solid cam gear? those holes that im pretty sure didnt was there just for looks made it weaker. Aem is only good for fuel rails and intakes.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A friend of mine had a streak of bad luck.. he broke an STR gear, and bought the AEM's.. then the intake gear broke in almost the same pattern as yours.
AEM was really cool about it, and hooked him up with another set and through in a fuel rail for good measure. He rocked the new gears for a couple of years after and never an issue after that.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:29 PM

^^^^^hopefully this guy gets the same treatment
Old 08-07-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: (3van)

AEM has a HORRIBLE Customer Service department. I had a cold air intake that was not designed properly and it rubbed on my tranny mount creating a big hole in the intake tube. They would not replace it. They told me that I should have checked and modified the intake to fit. Thats BS! They should have designed theyre intake to fit properly.

I had their FPR and the diaphram burst. Alot of people have on HT have had this problem and they were aware of it. They basically told me that I was **** out of luck.

I will never buy another AEM product ever. These guys make a ton of money and they wont even help out their loyal customers when AEM is at fault for a problem.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:11 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by burningwrek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Really? What happened and under what circumstances?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Older 3 bolt design. Normal driving. Engine stalled due to what sounded like a belt snap. The slot in which the key is inserted to align the sprocket to the cam has warped and the cam gear can how spin freely around the cam when i try to start it. Messed up valves, and pistons. Motor had a little less then 3,000 miles on it, i got the cam gear used. WAS NOT SMASHING and used assemply lube on all bearings and cam journals and lobes, motor blueprinted and torque to spec.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Why I will not buy AEM anymore. (foz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by foz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I laughed until I thought you were serious.........</TD></TR></TABLE>
I am serious, the thing looks solid as a rock.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why I will not buy AEM anymore. (burningwrek)

damn thas crazy
Old 08-08-2005, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why I will not buy AEM anymore. (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> They don't back their **** up, and they're ******* jerks about it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I second that! My EMS has reset itself twice now and they have "Never heard anything of this before".

Total ******** to talk to just like Greddy.

I too have the skunk2 cam gears and have had no problem.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow i've had second thoughts about aem for a while. but i guess this makes my decision alot easier next time around.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gaydm.accord)

wow...that's rediculous
Old 08-08-2005, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why I will not buy AEM anymore. (Chiovnidca)

whoa, thats some weird ****.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Why I will not buy AEM anymore. (G_Unit)

whoa!
Old 08-08-2005, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Why I will not buy AEM anymore. (chameleon)

I trust no.. and i mean NO other brand other than jdm big name stuff if its a moving part in my engine, its not that for blingage but brand like TODA have develop stuffs on Honda for years, im not going to doubt their 35 years of experience in Honda Engines.

supertech will be my very first, since seems no one have issue with their valve yet and they made airplane stuff i think they're trustable.

I went toward to TODA in cam and camgear and their springs. I was going to my tuner and check for JUN until he told me he have seen 3 JUN cams breaks in sections. and he highly recommand me with TODA. all and I mean ALL his proper tuned TODA engines, only one so far gone issues and its because the guy retune / upgrade to a Power belt and torque it wrong.

good luck with your engine
Old 08-08-2005, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I just talked to AEM guy and I need to send the cam gear to them so they can determine if it was a warranty failure. I guess if it is they'll send me another cam gear (yay....). If my head is toast I'm gonna be pissed.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:04 AM

Default Re: (jdmsiR20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmsiR20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if they become bitches about it......

send em this link and we'll jam the thread with a billion views till they comply</TD></TR></TABLE>

unfortunately they arent going to give a damn about what a bunch of kids think on an internet message board.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (veggiemaster)

Thats fine, too, but I'll just go ahead and warn everyone on all the Honda boards if it turns out that their customer service bites and they don't wanna help me out.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL it broke at like a perfect starfish pattern
Old 08-08-2005, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (veggiemaster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by veggiemaster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">unfortunately they arent going to give a damn about what a bunch of kids think on an internet message board.</TD></TR></TABLE>
They should since they're the ones buying alot of their products.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: (Chiovnidca)

Ok, I've read the whole thread and I STILL don't understand why no one has asked about your installation. What did you TQ the bolts too? Did you read AEM's specs? Did you make sure you followed the OEM timing belt install? I'd be willing to bet a substatial amount of money that this part failed because of installation related issues.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xEnderx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xEnderx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd be willing to bet a substatial amount of money that this part failed because of installation related issues. </TD></TR></TABLE>
And I'm willing to bet that is exactly what they will tell him too.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:36 PM

Go oem
Old 08-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mwieczorek43)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mwieczorek43 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And I'm willing to bet that is exactly what they will tell him too.</TD></TR></TABLE>
And they'll probably be right. They should still be able to take it though.

Quick Reply: Why I will not buy AEM anymore.