Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Why does my Gsr motor feel like a single cam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does my Gsr motor feel like a single cam?

I did a jdm gsr swap into my ek. its stock but it feels somewhat like a single cam when I daily drive it. some days it feels really torqy while other days it feels sluggish. I have no cel lights but am running kinda lean because I checked my spark plugs and they look kinda white. am I loosing fuel pressure or something? or is it just the motor?
Old 08-16-2008, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why does my Gsr motor feel like a single cam? (raidacaipo)

bump?
Old 08-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whats your exhaust setup? A stock civic exhaust will be extremely restricting for a GSR.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not to sure I can help you here but do you drive in VTEC? Everyone knows that Honda's have NO torque so if your just shifting around 3-4 grand then it could, because Honda's make all their power in VTEC (I saw a Top Gear review I think on the S2000 and it only makes something like 157 hp before VTEC compared to the 240 or something while in). My friends EM1 honestly feels just like my shitty D16Y7 when he's shifting real early. I don't think the lean problem could cause to much of that but I would def get that fixed.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:58 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

a jdm gsr doesnt "feel" like a single cam, more info on what the car is actually doing?

You could be off teeth on the timing belt. My very first swap years ago and i was off 2 teeth and it was a slug. when you swapped did you relplace the timing belt?
Old 08-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (alacard)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whats your exhaust setup? A stock civic exhaust will be extremely restricting for a GSR.</TD></TR></TABLE>

really? I always thought the backpressure might actually help..
Old 08-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Thateguhate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Thateguhate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

really? I always thought the backpressure might actually help..</TD></TR></TABLE>

you dont want to much backpressure even if your N/A and you dont want any backpressure if its turbo
Old 08-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbojdmhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbojdmhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you dont want to much backpressure even if your N/A and you dont want any backpressure if its turbo</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2 but op siad it runs good sumdays and not on others.. when i do swaps for peoples allways do a tune up bc u never know how long the motor has been sitting.. especialy the "jdm" ones., check timing, fuel pressureand do a tune up and see where u stand.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (luvmihatch)

learn something new everyday.. I've got the N1 exhaust and thought of going smaller but I think ill pass now.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alacard)

I have mandrel bent 2.25" piping with a 2.25' es oval exhaust straight pipe no cat.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why does my Gsr motor feel like a single cam? (SOHC_civic_si)

well if you should get around 157hp around 3-4k rpm shifting, then mines is probably 110hp or something cuz somedays its a slug and somedays it run and response really quick when I barely step on the throttle.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why does my Gsr motor feel like a single cam? (HybridcivicLS-T)

Im gonna say its a timing problem. I replaced everything before I swap the motor. I changed the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, spark plugs, etc.. I checked the timing with a timing belt and it looks a lil advance and I never touched the distributor.. but when my friend checked it for me manually by putting a socket on the crank and turning it clockwise to where the teeth matches up, he says its perfect. I even made sure that the timing was tite enuff but maybe your right.. it could be off.. should I redo it? its weird because all my friends with a swap have no lagg watsoever. theres feel really responsive and torqy and its all stock swaps like mines.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (luvmihatch)

I havent tuned the motor but I would think that it would run fine especially on a stock jdm gsr with a stock virgin jdm gsr ecu. I think its the fuel line that im using. I heard your suppose to replace it with the same motor. for example I would need an integra fuel line from the filter to the fuel rail. Right now im using the stock civic one with the gsr washers that I pieced up from the cut up hose line on the motor. I think it may be loosing some pressure.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:39 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Default Re: (raidacaipo)

not necessarily replace it. but you do want to have a good fuel line with constant good pressure. When was the last time you replaced your fuel filter? If it's good sometimes then bad, check your fuel filter. A lot of people seem to forget that.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HybridcivicLS-T)

I havent check nor replaced the filter yet. I guess ill have to do everyone again. Check filter, replace the civic fuel line with an integra fuel line, and redo my timing
Old 08-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WESTSIDE! BUMP!
Old 08-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sidenote when i had a b16 swap with a 94 cx exhaust it restricted it like crazy. As soon as i got an aftermarket exhaust it was like driving a whole new car.

anyway i am going to also say its a timing thing.

did you set your ignition timing?

im 99% sure its not the fuel line. My brother who had a 420 hp ls/vtec used stop FPR, Stock CX fuel Line, Stock fuel rail.

so check your ignition timing

EDIT: after reading again i am 99% sure its your ignition timing. You didtn touch your dizzy so you probably didnt even time it. Get a timing gun jump your ecu and set your timing.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump!
Old 08-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (The Lobster)

yes sir. I will redo timing tomorrow.. though its a bitch to redo it now that the motor is on the car.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (turbojdmhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbojdmhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you dont want to much backpressure even if your N/A and you dont want any backpressure if its turbo</TD></TR></TABLE>

you dont know wat your talking about. back pressure is a necessity.

to the poster :

what ecm are you using? if you arent using the gs-r ecm, then you might not be getting vtec. also, check your valve timing, hit it with a timing light, and if you cant get it timed, then your valve timing is off.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (raidacaipo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raidacaipo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes sir. I will redo timing tomorrow.. though its a bitch to redo it now that the motor is on the car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

how is it hard? 12 mm wrench timing light 5 mins and you are done?

i am talking about ignition timing not your crank/cam timing...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by longshot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you dont know wat your talking about. back pressure is a necessity.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Necessity in N/A cars not so much on F/I cars. THere was a post in the F/I on how the guy went from 3 inch downpipe to 4 inch downpipe/exhaust and gained 35 hp. why do you think big horsepower F/I car run open downpipe and big one at that.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (longshot)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2077910
Old 08-18-2008, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im having the same prob, except that i have probably exhaust leaks. i smell it evvertime i shift a 3200 or so. im also running a ls tranny so i know thats killing me. on some days though it runs awesome and the exhaust leaks that i think i have dont smell that much. i dont know what it is. could it be my o2 about to take a crap.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (The Lobster)

your talking about my distributor? well I havent touched it or adjust it since I bought the motor. yeah I have a friend who has a timing gun. maybe I should try to adjust that instead of redoing my timing belt. just move the distributor around till I hit the mark?
Old 08-18-2008, 12:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (.I.Need.Money.)

No I dont have exhaust leaks and my piping is 2.25 mandrel bent straight pipe with a 2.25 es oval exhaust. Also my car rattles on like 2nd to 3rd gear while reving up. it feels like my tires are done but they are like 85 percent of thread left. also my car backfires when I shift gear and its a stock gsr motor.

Quick Reply: Why does my Gsr motor feel like a single cam?