Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

White cloud of smoke coming from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 White cloud of smoke coming from exhaust

Hey everyone here's the problem im having i have a d16z6 motor and not too long ago I got a y8 intake manifold from a friend of mine that I decided to put on because i was told it will give you more horsepower so when i changed it I noticed i was leaking antifreeze from the part of the intake manifold gasket where the coolant goes so after getting stressed about the issue I heard from another friend of mine and researched for myself that there is no change in Horsepower using a y8 IM. So i just decided to put my old 1 back on but when I put it back on i noticed the car idling funny and fluid was still leaking so when i went to take it off again i noticed that fluid was leaking because I had over tightened one of the screws and cracked part of the IM so my friend had a d15 IM in his garage he let me use and after putting it on i still noticed the funny idle and i went and looked at another friend of mines to make sure all the hoses were in right and a few of them were mixed around so i redid the hoses and got everything right but i still had the funny idle. I was told it could be the IAC but i cleaned it and replaced it and its still idling funny then i was told there's a valve under the TB that has to be fully tightened and then loosened a notch so i did that and it fixed the idle for a few minutes until the motor heated up and then a friend of mine told e to check my spark plugs so i did and i noticed they were full of gunk carbon like deposits and i shined a flashlight in below where the spark plugs go to see if there was any gunk down there and there was some so i replaced the plugs but ever since i messed with the intake manifold in the first place there has been some white smoke coming out the exhaust but it hasn't been a whole lot. when I first noticed it i used the headgasket repair kit but there's no real sign that my headgasket is bad. Today I noticed it was smoking and hesitating like if it were running out of gas so i put some no leak an stop smoke stuff in it to see if it would help and i also checked the plugs again and saw that they had the same gunky deposits on them so i cleaned them and put them back in and the hesitating stopped but the no smoke stuff didn't seem to work at all cause the smoke that was coming out after I put that stuff in was even thicker and A LOT more than before
Old 11-13-2011, 01:57 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: White cloud of smoke coming from exhaust

I don't remember reading in that giant run-on sentence but did you change out the IM gasket (and scrape off all the old gasket) and get all the hoses installed in the correct locations?
Old 11-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: White cloud of smoke coming from exhaust

Yea. sorry bout the run ons