Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

whining/grinding noise in 5th!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 whining/grinding noise in 5th!!!!!!

Put up a video... Hope this helps.

pretty much there is a whining or grinding noise while I am in 5th gear... It scares the hell out of me when driving and I'm afraid my tranny's going to blow up or some shizz. PLEASE HELP!!!

Ok I can now hear it clearly at idle with the clutch pedal released.. and when I depress the clutch pedal the noise disappears. Sooo could someone drop some knowledge on me please?

Last edited by WeakSauce92; 05-14-2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: New Info
Old 05-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whining/grinding noise in 5th!!!!!!

Please oh please help me this is my dd and need it!!
Old 05-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you be a little more specific on the conditions? accel, decel, steady speed, in 5th at stop clutch pedal pressed, any noise in neutral at stop clutch pedal released, any i mean any noise in any other gears at any time? It'll help narrow some things down.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think it's your clutch giving out. More details would help though..
Old 05-10-2010, 03:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's constant while in 5th and now I think I can barely hear it in 4th.. accel,decel, it gets louder with more speed. And yes it also continues at a constant speed. It actually goes away while in neutral.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I can now hear it clearly at idle with the clutch pedal released.. and when I depress the clutch pedal the noise disappears. Sooo could someone drop some knowledge on me please?
Old 05-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe your throwout bearing is your issue, mine went and it chattered constantly unless the pedal was pressed in.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: whining/grinding noise in 5th!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Evans1109
I believe your throwout bearing is your issue, mine went and it chattered constantly unless the pedal was pressed in.
Is that difficult to replace? or costly? otherwise I was going to buy a combo EXEDY ORGANIC CLUTCH (08801A)
EXEDY SPORT FLYWHEEL (HF501) 9.5 lbs for about $560 before shipping. although I would be waiting about 14 days to get enough money for that.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do not drive the car. It could be your clutch or input shaft / throwout bearing.
My S80 now has a hole through the housing for the same reason. I just didn't have enough time or place to stop.
Good luck.

Last edited by KnuckleZ; 05-11-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would say get the clutch flywheel combo it should come with a new throwout and you might as well replace it all at once if you are considering it.

I would say drive at your own risk, I drove mine for 3 months with it without damage. I could have been just lucky though.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh **** alright thanks guys I think i'm gonna cry...
Old 05-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I'm going to go ahead and get the combo but I called and it doesn't come with the throwout bearing.. oh well Napa here I come unless someone has a better place?
Old 05-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does anyone know how difficult it's going to be to replace the clutch, flywheel, and throw- out bearing?
Old 05-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if this is a sohc trans it could be one of two things, one is the throwout bearing, the other-input shaft bearing. for one a throwout bearing isnt going to whine since its hybrid plastic and metal so therefore itll just have a grinding noise and eventually break apart if not replaced. and the other, input shaft bearings fail pretty commonly on sohc manual transmissions. I have taken apart plenty of sohc transmissions and dohc and have found the input shaft bearings have plastic separators and tend to break if not well lubricated due to low trans fluid.

As for taking the trans out and swapping the clutch, its fairly easy, nothing you cant manage with a buddy and a couple of hrs. check the throwout bearing when you take it out by spinning the collar which touches the pressure plate to determine its status, if it makes noise whether quietly or loud replace then thats ur problem, if its quiet and doesnt spin freely then unfortunately its your input shaft bearing.

I work at a transmission shop and have been wrenching on cars since i was 8, so that my experience to share on ur noise problem...hope it helps
Old 05-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well it's not exactly whining.. it's definitely more grinding than whining. I guess just a higher pitched grind than I'm used to. I'll put up a video tomorrow.I'm just going to buy the flywheel/clutch combo so I know those are good :D and I guess that doesn't combo includes the input shaft bearing(pilot bearing?) so I'm going to go to napa and purchase a throwout bearing also. I will start disassembling friday/saturday and start a thread just so some of you that would like to see progress will see it and possibly help me out (please!!!) thanks for all the replies so far it has helped me so much already.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by forcefedeg01
if this is a sohc trans it could be one of two things, one is the throwout bearing, the other-input shaft bearing. for one a throwout bearing isnt going to whine since its hybrid plastic and metal so therefore itll just have a grinding noise and eventually break apart if not replaced. and the other, input shaft bearings fail pretty commonly on sohc manual transmissions. I have taken apart plenty of sohc transmissions and dohc and have found the input shaft bearings have plastic separators and tend to break if not well lubricated due to low trans fluid.

As for taking the trans out and swapping the clutch, its fairly easy, nothing you cant manage with a buddy and a couple of hrs. check the throwout bearing when you take it out by spinning the collar which touches the pressure plate to determine its status, if it makes noise whether quietly or loud replace then thats ur problem, if its quiet and doesnt spin freely then unfortunately its your input shaft bearing.

I work at a transmission shop and have been wrenching on cars since i was 8, so that my experience to share on ur noise problem...hope it helps
If you could, please try and find time for me and help me through this entire process because as you can tell from my signature... I'm a n00b at most of this... If you'll allow, I'll PM you for most of my questions otherwise all my questions and progress will be in my new thread.. "Replacing Flywheel/Clutch and shtuff" pretty much will be it. Thanks much.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hold the damn phone a second!!!! If the noise goes away when you push it the clutch pedal it is NOT I repeat NOT your throw out bearing!!! The throw out bearing will ONLY make noise when you have it engaged (the clutch pedal pressed)! The noise you are hearing... At a stop in neutral you hear it, but when you press the clutch pedal down it stops? If so then it's most likely your input shaft bearing, but could be another bearing INSIDE the transmission. Try one more test before you yank out the trans... At a stand still, put the car in any gear and hold the clutch pedal down. Any noise? No: bad bearing inside trans; Yes: bad pilot bearing in flywheel (or clutch release (throw out) bearing).
Again, I repeat, if the noise is present when you are not pressing the clutch pedal & goes away when you press the clutch pedal, it is NOT the throw out (clutch release) bearing!
Old 05-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by honda_luvr_2000
Hold the damn phone a second!!!! If the noise goes away when you push it the clutch pedal it is NOT I repeat NOT your throw out bearing!!! The throw out bearing will ONLY make noise when you have it engaged (the clutch pedal pressed)! The noise you are hearing... At a stop in neutral you hear it, but when you press the clutch pedal down it stops? If so then it's most likely your input shaft bearing, but could be another bearing INSIDE the transmission. Try one more test before you yank out the trans... At a stand still, put the car in any gear and hold the clutch pedal down. Any noise? No: bad bearing inside trans; Yes: bad pilot bearing in flywheel (or clutch release (throw out) bearing).
Again, I repeat, if the noise is present when you are not pressing the clutch pedal & goes away when you press the clutch pedal, it is NOT the throw out (clutch release) bearing!
sorry but id have to disagree on that, throwout bearings can make noise whether engaged or dis-engaged. a bearing acts depending on how worn it is. most of the throwout bearings (about 80% of them) make noise when pedal is off/engaged since it has a neutral pressure on the fingers on pressure plate, therefore higher possibility of it making less noise due to pressure being applied on the bearings itself. i have yet to see or hear a throwout bearing making noise when disengaged rather than engaged status, not saying it can happen but my doubts r still there its a possible input shaft bearing. especially since my eg8 is making a very similar noise from whats happening to him.

oh and by the way, when a clutch is engaged it is when the pedal is released (no foot on pedal) dis-engaged is pedal pressed. a clutch is not engaged when it free-spins..
Old 05-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also, wouldn't everything stop spinning when the clutch is disengaged? At a standstill the only movement is in the engine and the clutch connects that to the clutch. I'm loving the info guys keep it comin!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I realize I am late on this but if it is you TO bearing or either you internal or external input bearing the noise will be apparent through all of your gears. For example, my internal input was hosed when I bought my car. when I would let out the clutch I could hear a rattling noise. I made the mistake of thinking and listening to others that it was the TO bearing; although they are all apart of the same system, a certified mechanic will be more than happy to take a look and give you an insane estimate, ha ha.

So, in short I'm not saying anyone else is wrong but I am saying, have it checked by a mechanic and if you have to drive your car don't be suprised if your tranny blows but I know how it is when you have to be somehwere. A mobile mechanic would be best or if someone from here lives close and knows what they are looking at, do that. Best of luck to you.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is that the outer bearing on the mainshaft is starting to fail. It would make sense that this bearing sees the most pressure when in fifth gear since its right next to the fifth gear syncro.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by infinitypro12
I realize I am late on this but if it is you TO bearing or either you internal or external input bearing the noise will be apparent through all of your gears. For example, my internal input was hosed when I bought my car. when I would let out the clutch I could hear a rattling noise. I made the mistake of thinking and listening to others that it was the TO bearing; although they are all apart of the same system, a certified mechanic will be more than happy to take a look and give you an insane estimate, ha ha.

So, in short I'm not saying anyone else is wrong but I am saying, have it checked by a mechanic and if you have to drive your car don't be suprised if your tranny blows but I know how it is when you have to be somehwere. A mobile mechanic would be best or if someone from here lives close and knows what they are looking at, do that. Best of luck to you.
I agree on that 100% have it checked first professionally by a true transmission mechanic first and not some street shop and you should have a definite answer to your problem
Old 05-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, Video is posted up top. What do you think the going rate would be to rebuild my tranny?
Old 05-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

depends who you go to and what needs to be replaced aside a bearing like a synchro or two and such, i normally have done the work of taking them apart and rebuilding them for $250 but everyone else normally isnt too much more around my area. its really not hard to do yourself if u have tools and patience

check this out: http://www.garage411.com/ManualTransmissionEg

i read it a couple of times and its how i take them apart and explains it pretty decently.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow thanks a lot man, I took a quick look and I'm definitely going to try. I've got a b7 engine I can swap in for now... I'm also buying an alero to get around for now.. yeah I know but I'm going to sell it for about $1500 profit hopefully. And it's all going into my EG :D

Quick Reply: whining/grinding noise in 5th!!!!!!