Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Where do you buy your internals? and other crankshaft questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you buy your internals? and other crankshaft questions

First post here. I have a 1995 Civic EX coupe that I have kept in excellent condition over the years. I usually don't post on forums...but maybe its time to start.

It currently has 271,900 miles on it.
I love this car to pieces. But in the past year I had some bad luck with it.
I lost my crankshaft last winter.

I first tried buying a crankshaft from autozone as I was in a hurry. (BAD IDEA)
The crankshaft was so out of spec it was completely worthless. I took it back and got my money back and in a bind bought a used crank that spun a bearing on a turbo charged d16z6.

This has been holding up for the past year to get me around.

I have a 1995 EG8 in my garage right now that I am getting ready for the winter. I will be driving this vehicle for the entire winter starting probably next month.

I'm pre-approved for a personal loan through my credit union. Instead of a new car I will be re-working my beloved coupe all winter.

So now that I have told you my life story, lets get down to some of my questions.

Please note before answering these that I did do a search and didn't find much on what I am looking for (I must be blind). Secondly swapping in any kind of B-series engine is out of the question as I have a passion for D-series engines.

So if you haven't guessed it already, finding a used crankshaft that hasn't been destroyed by a turbo, or one that hasn't been mucked up at the pulley has been near impossible for me. I would rather not drop in a y8 crankshaft. I've been searching online for a reputable company with performance crankshafts for the d16z6 but can only come up with cranks for b-series engines. It's to the point I've been considering engine importers for a d15b obd1 vtec...but I've heard horror stories about importing engines that tends to make me sway from this idea.

Does anyone know where I can buy a good OEM spec d16z6 crankshaft? I don't want to order a out of spec piece of junk. The dealer will cost 1,000. I was thinking close to the 500.00 range personally.

Another option I was considering is just completely changing out the block and crank to a d15 with the z6 cylinder head. (kinda like a mini-me) But wouldn't I be loosing my 7,200 redline?

I've heard of others using the pistons from a d16a1 in their d16z6. What about the crank? I am very unfamiliar with the d16a1 (sorry for my ignorance). Does the crank fit? does it have 2 oil ports like the z6?

Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where do you buy your internals? and other crankshaft questions

Before we go into details about the setup your going to be using got a quick questions. Whats your goal for this d series? gas mileage,turbo,n/a,NoS
Old 10-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

N/A Slight performance with Reliability at slightly above oem performance. No turbo chargers, nothing extreme. I might re-work the head a little with a slightly hotter camshaft. Performance has never really been an issue with this car for me. I like to use it in the corners on the mountain slopes, the suspension is completed so I am happy with the vehicle.

Just time to breathe new life into the engine.

Durability is a big factor for me, I do run this vehicle...extremely hard.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well since your stuck on the d series then you should know the special thing about them is buying a hole engine new is 80% of the time cheaper then fixing what you got.

http://www.jdmenginedepot.com/jdm_en...EX_OBD1_Engine
^Check it out

Little more then your $500 for a crankshaft yes. But your talking less then 45xxx for an extra $150. You can make up for that $150 by selling the alt,dizzy,etc from the single you got now.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why not find a complete shortblock?

'performance' crankshafts are worthless on hondas, as the factory ones are stout.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No actually that would be a perfectly fine solution thank you. Have you dealt with this engine importer before? good? bad? ugly?

$500 is what I was expecting just on new crankshaft. I'm looking to spend 1500 total on the engine this winter, and another 1500 on the transmission and body of this car.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh no no no my friend. There great thats where myself and friends,family get there's from. Spend the $650. Get yourself a si tranny slap it in then be worried about the body. That combination you will be more then happy with if you are happy with a stock z6.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Perfect thank you very much for posting that site. I didn't come across that one last night in my searches.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have an entire z6 for sale at what ure looking to spend on the crank
lemme know if ure interested