Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Where to buy honda coolant online

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G 05 is the way to go as far as coolant technology in my opinion. Daimler Chrysler has recently begun using it, and Mercedes Benz has been using a G 05 formula for over 20 years with no problems. It is precharged and fully formulated. The very slight levels of silicate used in the HOAT type G 05 formula control cavitation much better than a straight up OAT type coolant that Honda TypeII is.

Honda TypeII is good for being an OAT type coolant, but the whole deal with other fluids not working well is because traditional silicated coolants (the older green prestone) were formulated with silicates as the primary anti-corosion agent. Over time the silicates would drop out of suspension and become larger particles which did no good for the system as far as protection, and also led to increased deposits being circulated or attached to the cooling passages. This also depended on the water used, and the pH of the coolant. The pH varies on heat cycles; basically put, the length of use.

'Dexcool' type coolant is a fine coolant techonology; it lasts long and is an OAT type coolant containing no silicates or borates. It doesn't control cavitaion as well as HOAT coolants like G 05, take for example the GM fiasco. Running low coolant levels led to air pockets in the coolant system which accelerates cavitation, and then it would gel up. It was a bad coolant system desgin by GM on the 3800 engines that led to coolant system failures. Other car makes and manufacturers are using OAT 'dexcool' type coolants with no problem.

The prestone stuff, the 'all-makes' is the same formula as the 'silver jug dexcool bottle' the only difference is the dexcool label and dye used, which GM licenses out; on other words, if the all makes bottle had dexcool on it they'd have to pay fees to GM to use that name. The supertech coolant is the same as the prestone all makes, same primary anti-corrosion inhibitor 'sodium 2-Ethyl Hexanoate' and less expensive. Though ChevronTexaco's first and original formulation of dexcool uses potassium 2-ethyl hexanoate, it is regarded that the sodium 2-EH from preston or potassium 2-EH from any other dexcool formulas both work the same.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Where to buy honda coolant online (ddd4114)

Depends on the filter. If its a reverse osmosis filter, then you're fine. Every other filter style will not take out the main problem 'ingrediant' in tap water, which is mineral ions (hardness) and chlorine.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Where to buy honda coolant online (HiProfile)

my friend runs the red coolant from toyota because he said it's better for turbo, is there some thruth to that or is that honda stuff good for turbo? I personally run prestone, I just flush the radiator every 6k, just for my piece of mind, but if honda fluid is that much better maybe I should switch
Old 08-17-2006, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Where to buy honda coolant online (elguluso)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elguluso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my friend runs the red coolant from toyota because he said it's better for turbo, is there some thruth to that or is that honda stuff good for turbo? I personally run prestone, I just flush the radiator every 6k, just for my piece of mind, but if honda fluid is that much better maybe I should switch </TD></TR></TABLE>

unless you like to pay $12 for a half gallon of honda coolant and $0.50 for the water its contains, the toyota red coolant would be better in my opinion because it is concentrate and not pre-mixed like the honda stuff is. Its cheaper b/c you get a gallon of concentrate coolant and a gallon of distilled water only costs about $0.65 The toyota red coolant is actually a very good oat type coolant. As far as if one is better than the other for turbo, tell me where on a honda turbo application does the coolant have anything to do with the turbo? I'd be more worried about oil than coolant selection. The preston all makes will be just fine. Just make sure that whenever you switch coolants completely flush your system out with distilled water, only take about 6 gallons on a civic, and at $0.65 per gallon at walmart, thats pretty cheap.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:23 AM

the coolant has to do with the turbo because if it runs cooler it runs better turbo or all motor, my friend just recomended it to me because it kept his car cooler than regular coolant, I was just curious.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:12 PM

the majority of coolants out there are ethylene glycol based, the very slight differences in additives for anti-corrosion would not affect ethylene glycol's ability to act as a sufficient medium to carry heat. That is to say, any EG coolant in the right mixture with water should perform the same as honda coolant as far as heat is concerned.

Modified by chrisw85 at 8:42 PM 8/19/2006
Old 08-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Banned

Default Re: Where to buy honda coolant online (platinum00)

Modified by CardDealer at 9:25 AM 11/16/2006
Old 07-22-2019, 03:05 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Where to buy honda coolant online

Originally Posted by marksae
Does anyone know which online dealers/stores I can buy Honda coolant from? I've been trying to use the part number OL9999011 but haven't had any luck on hondapartsstore.com and partznet.com.

I'm tired of going to the local dealer and paying $16/gallon.

Thanks,
I love handa webside. Its handa with A. They have reasonable shipping and low price on oem products.
Www.handa.com