Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Where to buy fast idle valve?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More idle valve questions

I posted here a bit ago about my '95 Civic stalling. It apparently shows the classic symptoms of a fuel pump relay going bad (won't start when the interior is hot), but it also has some symptoms that don't fit the fuel pump relay. It idles very low and rough on a cold start (like almost 0rpm on the dial), and often stalls.

I took it to a Honda dealership, where they confirmed the fuel pump relay theory, and also told me that the fast idle valve needs to be replaced. This seems to make sense to me as a cause for the bad idling only when starting. Of course I'd appreciate any comments on their diagnosis!

My problem is, though, that the fast idle valve is on backorder, and in the meantime my car is getting more and more unreliable. The shop would prefer to replace both parts at the same time, although they have the fuel pump relay in stock. I'm hoping that someone can give me an inside track on where I might order a fast idle valve myself and get this show on the road. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kristen

Modified by Kesall at 11:05 AM 8/31/2004
Old 08-30-2004, 12:18 PM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Where to buy fast idle valve? (Kesall)

your not a trial user, post in the classifieds to see if someone is selling one.

your going to pay ALOT at the dealer. you dont need the parts brand new.

you can even install it yourself its very easy.

Old 08-30-2004, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Where to buy fast idle valve? (IVI)

I'd love to just do it myself, but I'm a total novice and this is my only transportation... I can't afford to experiment much. I don't think the shop will install a used one I pick up myself; I'm trying to track down a new one.

Thanks,
Kesall
Old 08-30-2004, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where to buy fast idle valve? (Kesall)

Unbolt the Fast Idle valve which should be 2 10's or 12's., take a aluminum can cut it open and fashion a peice that matches the contours of the valve. Basically a rectangle, drill holes threw it smear some RTV or hondabond on it -thin- and reattach. Basically do away with the fast idle cause honestly you don't need it cause the IAC valve will just take over. I have done this several times and have no problems.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:29 PM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Where to buy fast idle valve? (EG1.8cT68)

i believe its 3 - 10mm bolts.

Old 08-31-2004, 10:05 AM

Default Idle valve explanations, please

That's interesting... now I'm not sure I understand what the fast idle valve is supposed to be doing. I thought that its purpose was to get extra air to the engine when it's cold and make it idle faster. It sort of made sense then that if the fast idle valve wasn't working then my car would idle too low when it was cold.

But are you saying that it wouldn't matter if the fast idle valve quit working (if it wasn't stuck open or something)? If the EACV should have taken over anyway, should I be looking for problems with the EACV and not the fast idle valve?

Thanks,
Kristen
Old 08-31-2004, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Idle valve explanations, please (Kesall)

Typically with age, the FITV wears out and allows a lot more air into the manifold than is needed - this usually leads to a hunting idle, not a stalling condition.

Is this car 'new' to you - has someone done the 'fix' to the FITV?
Old 08-31-2004, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Idle valve explanations, please (EE_Chris)

Hi, thanks for your input.

No, I've had this car since it was new (9 years -- it's a '95 Civic EX, automatic). I've had almost no problems with it until this year. No, the 'fix' hasn't been done yet to the FITV -- a dealership mechanic diagnosed it, and it's on back-order. So I have some time to do some more detective work myself.

From my rudimentary understanding of the idle system, I think that the fast idle valve would have to be stuck closed in order to cause the symptoms I'm seeing. Does that ever happen? It's definitely not a hunting idle.

The problem began early this summer -- my car will start up (cold start), but idle very, very low. If I drive before warming up, it will stall the first time I come to a full stop. So I've gotten in the habit of letting my car warm up in the parking lot for about 15 min before leaving. Just recently, it has started stalling while warming up. After a stall, I can't start the car for at least 5 min (the engine will turn over, but won't catch). If I wait long enough, the car will start and drive normally. I can sometimes force a start by pumping the gas, but not always.

The second part of my problem started maybe a month later -- the car won't start on hot days when it's been sitting a while, with basically the same behavior as the way I described above after a stall.

It seems like a combination of the fuel pump relay and something else... like I said, the mechanic said it was the fast idle valve, but I'm trying to figure out if I should be more suspiscious of the EACV.

Kristen