Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

When to ditch the OEM intake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to ditch the OEM intake?

After reading around alot, the OEM intake is still VERY good. So at what level do you ditch it for a short ram or somthing? Are we talking built engine, or just after H/E? I have a short ram right now, Header and Exhaust, but Im thinking my K&N filter on my intake is on its way out. I love the look of OEM, and have seen alot of high performance cars still use it, like the JUN R34 skyline.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: When to ditch the OEM intake? (YoungKadafi)

im running the stock intake on my stock b18b...

iv seen lots of power made with a stock arm and box. i say keep it.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what motor do you have? i'm running my stock intake on my y8 with a k/n drop in filter with the resonater removed...works koo for me...
Old 01-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YoungKadafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So at what level do you ditch it for a short ram or somthing? I love the look of OEM, and have seen alot of high performance cars still use it, like the JUN R34 skyline.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude you have a civic not a skyline, you get the intake right away it should be one of your first mods. ebay sri, + bpi stack + kn filter should be about $120. if you like the stock look go for a comptech/mugen set up.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:44 PM

yea thats what i have, d16y8. Ive read some cool **** at team-integra about teh OEM airboxes, and nobody seems to believe me here. The larger the airbox, the more pressure it builds up, thus resulting in better throttle response, however flow wise, im not sure on how efficient it is....ill be going OEM airbox again
Old 01-17-2007, 09:46 PM

would like more opinions on this....keep the egay intake? or go OEM
Old 01-17-2007, 09:48 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YoungKadafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I love the look of OEM, and have seen alot of high performance cars still use it, like the JUN R34 skyline.</TD></TR></TABLE>

All those high performance cars, have high performance designed intakes from the factory. Not restrictive as hell, quiet, fuel efficient intakes like our Civics. The reason they have such a resonator and all in them is so they sound quieter, due to the demographic of people buying Civics and the like. The quieter the better for those people, so Honda will sacrifice 1hp to achieve that.

In my opinion...when is the correct time to ditch the OEM intake? As soon as my new Honda enters my driveway/garage. Its such a minimal performance gain though...its whatever. Nothing necessary.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:52 PM

yea but I'm so sick of k&N, i have to deep creep the TB and IM every 3 months because **** builds up from the oil. The IACV clogs up, ive seen the purple ****, so don't get it twisted.

i wanna go a dryflow type setup, and swapping out filters doesn't hurt me too much, however, im still open to opinions.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YoungKadafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea thats what i have, d16y8. Ive read some cool **** at team-integra about teh OEM airboxes, and nobody seems to believe me here. The larger the airbox, the more pressure it builds up, thus resulting in better throttle response, however flow wise, im not sure on how efficient it is....ill be going OEM airbox again</TD></TR></TABLE>

i understand what your getting at but, itb's produce great throttle response but a lot of people have made more power with a plenum intake mani. throttle response does not = power. a lot of the people with the mugen intake box do say it increases throttle reponse so i do believe you. if you got 7 bills though
Old 01-17-2007, 10:02 PM

yea but is the ITB's streetable really? id rather go turbo. however im looking more for throttle response&gt;power right now, i don't race.

However heres what I've been thinking. I have a 96 ex d16y8. what if I grab an Air box from a 95 civic ex, it doesn't have a resonator. I found one at a junkyard in great shape. And just use my Short ram tubing to connect to it?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YoungKadafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea but is the ITB's streetable really? id rather go turbo. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you missed the point.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:21 PM

i saw the point completely. I just wanna setup a Ice box setup.

Can the 95 Ex airbox be used?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so you just started talking about a turbo for no reason? not tryin to talk ****, just wondering.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YoungKadafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea but I'm so sick of k&N, i have to deep creep the TB and IM every 3 months because **** builds up from the oil. The IACV clogs up</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can fix that by removing the hose that goes from the valve cover to the air intake!

and as for the intake manifold you can keep that clean with a catch can

and if you want throttle response velocity stack on the end of a air intake no restriction!

Old 01-17-2007, 10:48 PM

K&N's already have a velocity stack, and you lose power without a filter on.

And sorry but i started talking about turbos when you said ITB's, because you have to tune both, and tuning is what i want to avoid, but if im going for more power on that kinda level, i might as well do turbo.

Yes ITB's give more throttle response, but you still need to tune it, and it costs lotsa $$$$$
Old 01-17-2007, 10:48 PM

oh and for keeping my IM clean, your sorta off. The oil get sucked up from the filter into the IM, no avoiding that. The catch cans and disconnecting vacuum hose's type crime is for something else
Old 01-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YoungKadafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">K&N's already have a velocity stack, and you lose power without a filter on.

And sorry but i started talking about turbos when you said ITB's, because you have to tune both, and tuning is what i want to avoid, but if im going for more power on that kinda level, i might as well do turbo.

Yes ITB's give more throttle response, but you still need to tune it, and it costs lotsa $$$$$</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah you missed the point.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:36 AM

Default Re: (blinx9900)

I love the OEM look
Simplicity...
Im going to punch the next person in the face that tells me to put a body kit on my car.
As for the stock air box, seriously, unless your making a car with 600hp a stock intake with a nice Spoon/Mugen or w/e filter would be fine.
An intake is just a tube with a filter....I just dont see a point. I have a AEM, and I really want a Spoon stock lookin air box. But im looking more towards ITBs. So I dont think ill waste the money.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YoungKadafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">K&N's already have a velocity stack, and you lose power without a filter on.

Yes ITB's give more throttle response, but you still need to tune it, and it costs lotsa $$$$$</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL lose power

ok well guess you should read this

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1680044

oh and if we are confused as to what a velocity stack is

not this ok!

Old 01-18-2007, 05:59 AM

Default Re: (richard7968)

what are your plans for your car?
Old 01-18-2007, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (richard7968)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by richard7968 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

LOL lose power

ok well guess you should read this

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1680044

</TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe im missign something... but on the dyno chart you linked.. it stated that the difference WITH the filter was only like 1hp... granted the dif without the filter was a lot.. BUT the filter creates restriction.. just pulling out yoru factory filter would probably create more power...

i still think the factory air box is best... maybe with a removed resonator and a decent drop in filter... i have the stock air box with the spoon elbow and just a K&N drop in and it works fine for me... granted i dont have a dyno chart to back up my 1hp gain... but you are obviously not going to drive around with no filter...

unless of course i missed something.. if so appologies.. but i dont get that link at all..
Old 01-18-2007, 07:23 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (oc_civic)

i heard skyline intakes are good up to 1k horse evo's are good to 500

with the entry lvl ecnoboxes we have ditch the ******* intake and exhaust manifold in favor of a turbo and run an hks on the turbo!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spork motorsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spork motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i heard skyline intakes are good up to 1k horse evo's are good to 500

with the entry lvl ecnoboxes we have ditch the ******* intake and exhaust manifold in favor of a turbo and run an hks on the turbo! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh yea since that was ever part of the plan for him.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TurbdEG6)

If you plan on doing a swap i would just save your money. That 120-250 for a new intake(depending on manufacturer) can help get your swap faster if you choose to go this route or put you that much closer to bolt ons for it. I have I/H/E on my d16z6 and i wish to hell i wouldnt have wasted the money and put it towards another swap. In the end its your decision. Just think out what your plans are. Its always hard for me to take my own advice because the money burns a hole in my damn pocket.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:07 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

open up a savings account and by the time you have enough for a swap youll be getting 50 cents a month interest, now keep adding money to that account and by the time your 22ish your going to have a nice down payment for a house

cars are a waste of money, you never get back what you put into em, and average joe whos looking for a civci for his duagther to thrash to high school doesnt want to pay 5000 for a k20 swapped 10 second four door he'll probaly want to pay less for a car that has been moded than for a stock civic of the same model year and body

Quick Reply: When to ditch the OEM intake?