Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

when to change spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when to change spark plug wires

i bought my car from a friend, had it for 3 years and put about 35k on it. he said he changed it a year before he sold it,

so is it time for me to look for a set of wires since its been 4 years or wait a bit longer?

i might get this if i needed wires

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW
Old 11-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: when to change spark plug wires (civiccoupe94)

Here is a neat way to test them for arking to ground. It has to be dark head lights off not pared under a street light. pop the hood start the car with a spray bottle of water start spraying a mist of water over the plug wires . If you see any blue arking the wires insulation is damaged and the plug wires should be replaced.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:57 PM

Does anyone here know which spark plug wires go to which socket? I had my car stolen on friday and i got it back from the impound but they stole the spark plug wires and battery which i replaced today. I put them in the way i thought they were suppose to go but the car idles close to zero. Help! Pictures are welcomed.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: when to change spark plug wires (sleepyitr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleepyitr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does anyone here know which spark plug wires go to which socket? I had my car stolen on friday and i got it back from the impound but they stole the spark plug wires and battery which i replaced today. I put them in the way i thought they were suppose to go but the car idles close to zero. Help! Pictures are welcomed.</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's because you put in a new battery, wait a while and it will be back to normal.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civiccoupe94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i bought my car from a friend, had it for 3 years and put about 35k on it. he said he changed it a year before he sold it,

so is it time for me to look for a set of wires since its been 4 years or wait a bit longer?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you really want to know the condition of your plug wires all you have to do is get a multimeter and test the resistance. If it exceeds 25k then replace.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: when to change spark plug wires (D16SohcVtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here is a neat way to test them for arking to ground. It has to be dark head lights off not pared under a street light. pop the hood start the car with a spray bottle of water start spraying a mist of water over the plug wires . If you see any blue arking the wires insulation is damaged and the plug wires should be replaced.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here's another neat trick, hold a ratchet real tight in your bare hands and see what kind of colors it will make when you put each end of it on a battery terminal. You'll never forget it, I promise.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civiccoupe94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i bought my car from a friend, had it for 3 years and put about 35k on it. he said he changed it a year before he sold it,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, it's been 4 years, change the damn things, I change mine at least once a year, they're like 50-70 dollars for a good set of NGK or Bosch plug wires from ******* autozone or some ****. Ordering spark plug wires for a stock engine online? Get off your ***, bro.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: when to change spark plug wires (Syndacate)

i cant help but laugh at everything you write to people on here.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: when to change spark plug wires (93egSLEEPER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i cant help but laugh at everything you write to people on here. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I realize I come off being an *******, but use some common sense. I've never even heard of accel spark plug wires...but damn, for a stock car, a good set of Bosch spark plug wires for ~50 bucks from autozone will be more than you need. On the flipside, FOUR YEARS WITHOUT CHANGING THE PLUG WIRES!? That's female maintenance.

Common sense = win
Old 11-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha for sure man... u and i would get along well.... i mean i havnt changed my oil for 10 months but it still has color so it must be okay right?? wtf is up with some people? haha.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha for sure man... u and i would get along well.... i mean i havnt changed my oil for 10 months but it still has color so it must be okay right?? wtf is up with some people? haha.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I don't know, somehow the correlation of "maintenance and performance" doesn't click with a lot of people.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i come by it naturally.. my dad is the most **** person to this kind of stuff i have ever met. he purposely sets my moms oil change milage 200 miles soon so by the time she notices its on time... he must know something.. he did show me how to build a 500 whp NA small block chevy
Old 11-08-2007, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i come by it naturally.. my dad is the most **** person to this kind of stuff i have ever met. he purposely sets my moms oil change milage 200 miles soon so by the time she notices its on time... he must know something.. he did show me how to build a 500 whp NA small block chevy</TD></TR></TABLE>

What build you running? On my '67 Z28 I ran a 509 BBC to 530hp & 527ft-lbs tq. and 748hp & 80Xft-lbs tq. on a ZEX kit. I used a shallower plenum intake so it had better performance up higher, which kinda owned its torque all motor, but it was a blast....and killed my wallet on gas...
Old 11-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its a 350 small block bored to 355 w/ 12.5:1 compression forged pistons rods and crank. full edlebrock performer rpm heads, comp cams 307 mechanical lifter cam, roller rockers, performer rpm intake holley 850cfm carb.... i cant think of everything but the only thing ron is the block and nothing is stock internal or otherwise. no juice or anything. it runs on 411 gears w/ posi. gets about 4 mpg and cost about 9k to build.. all the aluminum makes the front sit high til he gets the drop spindles but hes in the middle of doing the muncie 4 speed swap and all around disc brake conversion. its his baby and project car... i know so much more about old cars than hondas so that why im here.. to learn.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its a 350 small block bored to 355 w/ 12.5:1 compression forged pistons rods and crank. full edlebrock performer rpm heads, comp cams 307 mechanical lifter cam, roller rockers, performer rpm intake holley 850cfm carb.... i cant think of everything but the only thing ron is the block and nothing is stock internal or otherwise. no juice or anything. it runs on 411 gears w/ posi. gets about 4 mpg and cost about 9k to build.. all the aluminum makes the front sit high til he gets the drop spindles but hes in the middle of doing the muncie 4 speed swap and all around disc brake conversion. its his baby and project car... i know so much more about old cars than hondas so that why im here.. to learn.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I ran 411's with a posi rear also at one point, good ratio for tracking as well as daily'ing. Switched 'em out for 373. I'm not into stroker motors that much (by not into I mean I haven't dealt with them that much), on V8's I'm more of a displacement guy, although my engine was completely stock short of the nitrous (which isn't really part of the engine) and the intake mani. I forgot to mention, the reason I got a shallower plenum intake mani was I put a more aggressive cam in which kinda threw off my stock idle, so aside from turning my idle up a bit I had to gear it more towards the HP end of the torque curve rather than the torque curve.

It was fucked, the engine was designed for torque but built to make HP, it was a very culturally confused engine.

I love V8's, but gas makes 'em so impractical. So impractical I had to turn to the one thing I hate more than anything else (4 bangers). Then I kinda learned to love 'em (4 bangers). I'm contemplating a 4 cyl build for next summer. I'm also contemplating 40 other things so I don't know .
Old 11-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha yea.. so many options and so little time and money. he wants to run some juice but hes one of those people who sees power adders as a easy way out. haha. a v8 with a cam that barely lopes over at an idle open header is something of its own that i cant resist but to love... haha. 12.5:1 compressio0n open header is rediculous.. knocked the ladder off the side of the house. haha
Old 11-08-2007, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha yea.. so many options and so little time and money. he wants to run some juice but hes one of those people who sees power adders as a easy way out. haha. a v8 with a cam that barely lopes over at an idle open header is something of its own that i cant resist but to love... haha. 12.5:1 compressio0n open header is rediculous.. knocked the ladder off the side of the house. haha</TD></TR></TABLE>

I went the viper route for exhaust, had hooker headers and had my friend weld up an extension pipe with it mandrel bent out the sides, in front of the rear wheels.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oo he has a street exhaust just opened it up not too long ago to hear it... music to my ears... just tickles the eardrums a bit.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oo he has a street exhaust just opened it up not too long ago to hear it... music to my ears... just tickles the eardrums a bit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Word, I haven't heard a good sounding V8 in awhile.

Lots of tools with 5.0's up here, but they're good track only cars (pick 'em up for 3 grand & see how much nitrous you can run through 'em till they blow, not to mention those 305's are a dime a dozen.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea... not my favorite cars. would be fun to play with once and see what happens. i have zero experience with nitrous and im not sure i wanna really go there til i understand it more... too much at risk. ill just stick to my gt28r setup im getting lined up for next summer.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea... not my favorite cars. would be fun to play with once and see what happens. i have zero experience with nitrous and im not sure i wanna really go there til i understand it more... too much at risk. ill just stick to my gt28r setup im getting lined up for next summer. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, nitrous can screw you if you're not careful. I don't know what I'm doing next summer, might just buy another early 90's benz, can't beat them in terms of structure, aesthetics, and comfort, that's for damn sure, cheap as hell too. I like civics but they're too damn common, get the tool feeling wash over me every time I drive or walk through a parking lot.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha.. well its a pretty common market and hobby but im only 19 so i feel like i fit in the crowd still.... now my dads 45 and when hes roolin my honda around he gets some funny looks. haha
Old 11-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha.. well its a pretty common market and hobby but im only 19 so i feel like i fit in the crowd still.... now my dads 45 and when hes roolin my honda around he gets some funny looks. haha</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I just turned 20 oct 22, so I hear ya. Dunno, too many hondas, they grow on trees, kinda the suck. I'm well on the verge of getting out of the "import tuner" world as I don't even have enough money to back up the cash I have in my wallet if ya get what I mean. I didn't magnetize to Hondas as most young pple do, I needed a cheap 4 banger, and that's how I got into hondas, simple as that.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im the same way... if i had the money i would be building a better car. the only reason a got my first honda was i was 15 a looking in a honda magazine and saw a 91 EF and liked the body style so found one for 1k the next day and bought it to fix up. too bad i hit a taxi w/ no brake lights... ******. my ej1 is way better than that car though so its a good trade in a way.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:43 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I realize I come off being an *******, but use some common sense. I've never even heard of accel spark plug wires...but damn, for a stock car, a good set of Bosch spark plug wires for ~50 bucks from autozone will be more than you need. On the flipside, FOUR YEARS WITHOUT CHANGING THE PLUG WIRES!? That's female maintenance.

Common sense = win</TD></TR></TABLE>
The Duralast wires from Autozone would work just fine. I've heard some complaints about Bosch products on Japanese vehicles.

And you've never heard of Accel? They sell those in Autozone too. Usually a few boxes in the "rice" (performance) isle. You can also special order them. Guys with older cars and traditional muscle cars (and similar cars from such eras) often come in asking for them.

This is the logo btw.

http://www.accel-ignition.com/
Old 11-09-2007, 12:58 AM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im the same way... if i had the money i would be building a better car. the only reason a got my first honda was i was 15 a looking in a honda magazine and saw a 91 EF and liked the body style so found one for 1k the next day and bought it to fix up. too bad i hit a taxi w/ no brake lights... ******. my ej1 is way better than that car though so its a good trade in a way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol same here but i was 14.....ohh wahts a lancer evolution? ohhhh about 35 grand whats this a platform for under 2 grand!!!!???

freshman autoshop was fun......and helping the seniors jerry rig performance parts so they can go race that night

damn stupidest thing i have ever done in my life = street racing

Quick Reply: when to change spark plug wires