Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wheel vibration like no other.........searched

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel vibration like no other.........searched

It's an ongoing problem that seems to be getting worse. No shaking under braking. Actually, it goes away sometimes under decel, making turns, and braking. The shaking is real random. Comes and goes. Begins around 65+ mph and does not go away the faster you go.

Rims - No dents, bends, or curb rash from impact. Wheels balance out. Weights are still attached. Hubcentric rings ordered to see if that will help even though the Rotas are lugcentric.

Tires - Still in good condition. Even wear all around with no flat spots. No knots on the sideway pointing to broken belts.

Axles - Few months old. No grease spatter found. Boots in good condition. No clicking noises.

Misc - All suspension bolts have been checked over and torqued according to factory spec.

Tie rod ends and steering rack - Tie rod boots in good condition. No grease spatter found. Lock nuts are tight. No visible play in the steering rack. It is a power steering rack that has been without power steering components for a couple years now. Maybe it is time for a manual rack conversion for a 96-00 civic and some new tie rod ends.

Wheel bearings - The rears are brand new, but the fronts have around 94k miles on them.

Brakes - Whole new braking system. Full integra conversion front and back. Pads, rotors, lines, etc. are a month old. They've never seen hard braking.

Alignment - Full alignment was done after the brake install. Camber is set at -2.1 degrees all around. Toe was corrected.

I am totally in the dark here. It's seems to be a unique problem, and it is very annoying. If I can't pin point the issue, I may start replacing everything using this list as a guide.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Wheel vibration like no other.........searched (maxpsi)

who balanced the wheels?

what kind of balance? (static, dynamic, etc) just because the weights are there dosent mean its balanced.

is it a steering wheel shake? or an entire car shake?
Old 09-04-2005, 09:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Wheel vibration like no other.........searched (Kamin)

is it balanced right? Are the tires the same size? Do you trust the people who works on your car?

my girl's car was shaking the same way like yours and the only problem was that the car needed an alignment and balance the wheels
Old 09-04-2005, 09:50 PM

It's in the steering wheel.

I balance my own wheels at the shop I work. We have a very nice dynamic balancer. Weights are applied on the inner and outer sides of the centerline. I use 1/4 ounce stick-on weights.

I'm the only person that works on my car. It wouldn't hurt to go back and have my alignment check, but I'd like to replace my tie rod ends first.

I've heard steel belts can break within the tire and not show knots. Ugh......
Old 09-04-2005, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you checked your lug nuts. I've had the same symptons, steering wheel vibrates at highway speed, but feels fine just crusing around town, vibration stops if you accelerate, brake, or turn.

2 out of 4 of my front drivers side lugs were loose. Tightened those down, and the problem went away instantly.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Wheel vibration like no other.........searched (Jeremy D. Swain)

Yeah, I checked them with a torque wrench.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the exact same problem, the only thing i havent done is, alignment, and changing some of the parts on the front end (suspension, cv's etc)

so i would get them balanced, then aligned, then i dunno, start guessing
Old 09-05-2005, 07:30 AM

Default Re: Wheel vibration like no other.........searched (93egsedan)

I am about to start guessing.

Plan of attack:
Replace steering rack with manual rack
Replace tie rod ends
Get wheel alignment
Replace wheel bearings
Replace lower ball joint (the upper is new that came with skunk2 camber kit)
Replace axles (even though they are pretty new)

Modified by maxpsi at 1:37 PM 9/5/2005
Old 09-05-2005, 08:23 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maxpsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've heard steel belts can break within the tire and not show knots. Ugh......</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is true, I figure you can take the tires off at your shop and look on the inside and check for it, but that kind of shack would make me guess both front tires though or something else.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Wheel vibration like no other.........searched (turner7205)

Have you tried rotating the tires from front to rear? I have a small vibration that has slowly gotten worse, but I'm pretty sure mine is a wheel bearing going bad.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Wheel vibration like no other.........searched (RacerXI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turner7205 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is true, I figure you can take the tires off at your shop and look on the inside and check for it, but that kind of shack would make me guess both front tires though or something else.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That isn't it though. If it was, I would have sliced open a tire by now.

Well, I decided to stop by the shop and rebalance my tires. I zeroed out all wheels triple checking my steps as I went. Tire wear is perfect. There was nothing stuck in the tread. There are no knots on the sidewall noting a broken steel belt. I've heard though they can break on the inside of the tire and you'll never know the difference other than a vibration on the highway and a surprise after the belt slices your tire open on the highway. Ahhhh!! There are no bends or curb rash on the rims. So I made sure all the tires had an even 35 psi of pressure, balanced and rotated the wheels. The wheels are lugcentric, so I torqued them all to spec in the right pattern. I even checked the torque on my axle and spindle nuts.

Good news: The vibration was greatly decreased, but it's still there. UGH!!
Old 09-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

replace tie rod ends then see whats up...hope you get this fixed soon
Old 09-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maxpsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am about to start guessing.

Plan of attack:
Replace tie rod ends
Get wheel alignment
Replace wheel bearings

Modified by maxpsi at 1:37 PM 9/5/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

Start with the axles, most likely your problem
Old 09-05-2005, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Might want to see if you can find a local shop who can do a road force balance on your tires. this actualluy puts the wheel/tire under a load and can detect if a tire is out of round or has any defects and or broken belts. You can balance and egg on a normal balancer but its still not gonna roll smooth. Also hubrings could be a possiblity, anytime you are running a wheel with a larger center bore than stock you could have a wheel that is mounted slightly off center even if the lugs are all tight. Good luck
Old 09-05-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: (upgraded)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by upgraded &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Might want to see if you can find a local shop who can do a road force balance on your tires. this actualluy puts the wheel/tire under a load and can detect if a tire is out of round or has any defects and or broken belts.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I had to do this where I used to work, the wheels were balanced out fine but it was still vibrating while driving at speed. I did the road force test and one of them was way out of spec, sometimes you can dismount the tire and remount it in a different spot, the machine will tell you where to mark it and do it.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TurboCoop)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboCoop &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
sometimes you can dismount the tire and remount it in a different spot, the machine will tell you where to mark it and do it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Match mouting. the machine can match the hard spots or seams in the tire with low or flat spots in the rim.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:16 PM

Default Re: (upgraded)

first try rotating your tires front to back and then test drive vehicle.

if the vibration has gone away or felt in the seat you know its either a rim out of round, a bad tire or the balance is off.

if the vibration stays you can check for bad cv joints in the axles and motor/tranny mounts.

next time the vibration happens, try the following: put the car in neutral

doing this takes power away from all the drive line parts
see if the vibration goes away look into axles, bearings, tranny, & mounts
Old 09-05-2005, 08:24 PM
dAng!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maxpsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am about to start guessing.

Plan of attack:
Replace tie rod ends
Get wheel alignment
Replace wheel bearings

Modified by maxpsi at 1:37 PM 9/5/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like you're on the right track, but I'd start with the smallest expense and work up as needed.

The last time I had a similar problem, it was the tie rod end ball joints.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your front (especially) and rear lower control arm bushings... the front ones caused the same vibration you are experiencing... replacing them fixed the problem
Old 09-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also, check your front upper control arms.. make sure the ball joints on those are in good condition

btw, it's not a wheel bearing problem... it would be making a whoooing sound if it was
Old 09-05-2005, 09:00 PM

Had the same thing happen to me after an accident. No vibration until 65+MPH then continually got worse. Turned out to be my Upper BallJoint. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2005, 06:42 AM

Default Re: (SlowHX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 9341civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> put the car in neutral
doing this takes power away from all the drive line parts
see if the vibration goes away look into axles, bearings, tranny, & mounts</TD></TR></TABLE>

Great idea. I will definately try this. All mounts have been replaced. The rear and axis mounts are CNC billet Avids and the torque mounts are from Jimfab (overkill lol).

Rear lower LCAs are Omni and the bushings look fine.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">btw, it's not a wheel bearing problem... it would be making a whoooing sound if it was</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought so, but it that always the case.

The upper ball joints are new as of this spring when I installed the skunk2 camber kit. I can't find any busted boots or grease anywhere.

Plan of attack:
Check front lower control arm bushings
Swap out wheels and tires with another set
Replace steering rack with manual rack from 96-00 civic
Replace tie rod ends
Get wheel alignment
Replace axles
Replace wheel bearings
Replace lower ball joint
Old 09-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (maxpsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maxpsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The rear and axis mounts are CNC billet Avids and the torque mounts are from Jimfab (overkill lol).

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You wonder where the vibration is coming from
Old 09-08-2005, 06:43 AM

Default Re: (95 integra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95 integra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You wonder where the vibration is coming from </TD></TR></TABLE>

This problem started awhile back. Well before those mounts went in.

I'm going to borrow some stock wheels and tires this weekend. If the problem goes away, then it is my wheels and tires. If it doesn't go away with a different set of wheels, then let the search continue.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: (maxpsi)

I'm willing to put money on it being your lower balljoints. I just fixed this same prob on my car

Quick Reply: Wheel vibration like no other.........searched