Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wheel/tire decisions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel/tire decisions

Before someone flames me, i read the faq, and searched on this.

I drive a 300ish wheel horsepower del sol, and i have traction problems.
Right now i have a set of 15x7 rota slipstreams on the car, in gunmetal grey, and i like they way they look.
i plan on installing a boost controller and turning up my boost in the near future, shooting for around 400 whp, and i dont think the 205/50/r15 tires i have on there are going to be up for the job, i know to go with a wider tire i really need to find a wider rim, i was just wondering how much bigger i can go. i saw the rota slipstreams are available in a 16x8 17x8.5, and was wondering if a 17x8.5 would fit on my car without rubbing while i turn or anything like that or if i'd be better off with a 16x8.
Anyone have some larger wheels on their del sol?
also i was thinking i'd go with falken azenis rt-615s, i had them a couple years ago and they were really sticky nice tires, wasnt able to find them locally last time i bought new tires and i've been sad i settled ever since.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Wheel/tire decisions

29 views, no responses :-(
Old 01-08-2010, 10:08 AM

bump
Old 01-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, if you have traction problems, I don't recommend up sizing your rims. Bigger rims means you have less room for sidewall, so you'll be forced to go with a lower profile tire. If you think your traction is bad now, imagine with less sidewall.

The more sidewall a tire has, the more flexibility it will have. So you might want to get a tire with a larger aspect ratio, such as 205/55/15.

I don't know where you live, but that's the most important factor when choosing tires. If this is your daily driver and the temperature gets below freezing in the winter, you'll have to have all-season tires. Or else you can count on crashing because the rubber in summer tires isn't made for temperatures lower than about 40°F. It hardens up and you have virtually no grip; you might as well be driving on ice.

So traction all depends on tire width, aspect ratio, rubber compound, air pressure, and temperature. Notice how much sidewall a top fuel dragster has.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:50 AM

thanks for the response, mainly i'm going with a larger size in rim to go with a wider tire, wider tires = more traction right? top fuel dragsters also have wide tires. unfortunately to go wider looks like i have to go larger in diameter.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:12 PM
New User

kumho makes their rs3 tire in a 225/45/15 so you wont have to change the overall tire height. my other suggestion would be a 205/50/15 bfg drag radial or a sticky tire overall. if none of those work, train your right foot
Old 01-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have toyo proxes4 on my coupe that makes 350whp and 260tq and they hold the power pretty well IMO. i also have a LSD. it will spin 1st and 2nd, sometimes 3rd if its cold, but on warm days i have traction. you wont find many street tires that will hold that power and you wont have to replace every 10k miles.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rok_Stok
Well, if you have traction problems, I don't recommend up sizing your rims. Bigger rims means you have less room for sidewall, so you'll be forced to go with a lower profile tire. If you think your traction is bad now, imagine with less sidewall.

The more sidewall a tire has, the more flexibility it will have. So you might want to get a tire with a larger aspect ratio, such as 205/55/15.

I don't know where you live, but that's the most important factor when choosing tires. If this is your daily driver and the temperature gets below freezing in the winter, you'll have to have all-season tires. Or else you can count on crashing because the rubber in summer tires isn't made for temperatures lower than about 40°F. It hardens up and you have virtually no grip; you might as well be driving on ice.

So traction all depends on tire width, aspect ratio, rubber compound, air pressure, and temperature. Notice how much sidewall a top fuel dragster has.
top fuel drag slicks have no side wall ribbing to add stiffness and support. they are also made of a "wrinkle wall" technology and compound. Any passenger tire has sidewall ribs making them stiffer to support cornering and giveing them a better ride. comparing a 33" wrinkle wall full drag slick to a street tire wont accomplish much here, but i do see your point about sidewall thickness and such.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
top fuel drag slicks have no side wall ribbing to add stiffness and support. they are also made of a "wrinkle wall" technology and compound. Any passenger tire has sidewall ribs making them stiffer to support cornering and giveing them a better ride. comparing a 33" wrinkle wall full drag slick to a street tire wont accomplish much here, but i do see your point about sidewall thickness and such.
Right. Yeah bad tire to compare to.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by juggindc5
kumho makes their rs3 tire in a 225/45/15 so you wont have to change the overall tire height. my other suggestion would be a 205/50/15 bfg drag radial or a sticky tire overall. if none of those work, train your right foot
225s are too wide i think to go on my 7 inch wide rims, or so i was told, they'd be wider than the rim and i'd lose some handling, also i dont wanna go with drag radials cause i'm in florida and it does rain here occiasionally.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Toyo proxes are a good choice.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:44 PM

check out the yokohama s drives they grip hella good