Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wheel bearing/ Tranny IDing / Steering rack Qs

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wheel bearing/ Tranny IDing / Steering rack Qs

A few questions here, thought I would group them all into one.

I am pretty sure that the rear wheel bearing needs to be replaced. It howls pretty good when I am driving it around town at low speeds as well as high. My question is, I had the guy @ NAPA look up the bearing and he said it was the hub assembly that included the wheel bearing for my 95 EX coupe with discs in the back but the walkthrough on the FAQ shows that it s a hub assembly AND a bearing. So is it the bearing or the hub assembly that I should replace or both? There were two parts listed for disc and drum but I don't know why it would make a difference?

Got VTEC roawwwring the other day and noticed that even if I take the engine to 7k, it falls out of VTEC in between 1st and 2nd gear? Is this normal or do I have a DX/LX tranny? How do I ID what tranny is in there? I believe it says S20 on the case...

Finally, the car is dumped on some blown struts with some crappy ebay springs. I know I need to get it aligned but to top it off there is one odd sized tire that is on there that I need to replace before I get it aligned (since the caster/camber wear is pretty heavy) but recently it has started doing this when moving the steering wheel-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZetTE...ature=youtu.be

The power steering pump has been disconnected and I don't know if it is the rack making that noise or if I am also need a tie rod end?

Any help would be awesome, Thanks!

PS - Found out the fuel injector 0 ring is leaking and the Tokico struts I bought off of Craigs for $15 don't have an allen heads in the top, NAPA didn't have the oil pan gasket needed, tools not available.... Why can't SOME stuff go right just sometimes? Gotta love it!
Old 01-28-2012, 01:21 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Wheel bearing/ Tranny IDing / Steering rack Qs

The rear wheel bearings are a complete hub assembly and yes drum and disc use different hub assemblies, one sits out further than the other.

To ID the transmission check the stamp around the fill hole near the passenger's side axle, B000 = EX/Si A000 = CX/VX or DX/LX

The squeaking sounds like bad lower ball joints to me, separate them and see if they're seized.