Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What's your opinion on an ej DD..

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 What's your opinion on an ej DD..

Hey all, i am about ready to make a decision and want it to be a good one. I am a fan of the 1996-2000 year Honda's. I have always owned hatchbacks (Mistu GSX, a Honda Fit) and they are great, but i just see them way to often now and kind of tired of it. I have been some researching on the EJ coupes, so my question is, for a DD, is the coupe more practical? As practical for me, i drive to work which is only 14 miles and i work 5 days a week. I am a full time employee at Best Buy. I do plan on having friends in the car when we go out and have fun.. so is a coupe more "roomy"?

Thanks a bunch guys, i come here for your guys's thoughts and hondatech has never let me down.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What's your opinion on an ej DD..

4 door has more leg room for the back people.
but the 2 door isn't that bad. you can easily fit 3 average size people in the back seats
Old 08-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ruben19
you can easily fit 3 average size people in the back seats
^^ average people. Not your beer belly buddies...LoL
Old 08-08-2009, 01:03 PM

Hahah great info and comic relief at the same time.
But anyways, the 2dr sparks my interest the most. how much do these run for? 5spd of course.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It varies on area and condition of the car, you can get them 2-3k easily here.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sayyoooon
It varies on area and condition of the car, you can get them 2-3k easily here.
Or you can get a 95 ej1 with 200k with 1 owner( a lady) with all work done at dealer for 800 bux. Thats right thats the deal i found on craigslist. Couldnt let it pass. Plus she posted it as a DX. When it was actually a EX from canada..LoL. I actually feel like i stole the damm car.....
Old 08-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mortificationrock
Or you can get a 95 ej1 with 200k with 1 owner( a lady) with all work done at dealer for 800 bux. Thats right thats the deal i found on craigslist. Couldnt let it pass. Plus she posted it as a DX. When it was actually a EX from canada..LoL. I actually feel like i stole the damm car.....
Damn that's a deal...I bought my ej shell for that much.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i bought my 97 dx hatch for $950 of craigslist. only had a noisy tranny bearing
Old 08-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Vietnamese!

Just shop around and a great deal will pop up eventually...
Old 08-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ruben19
i bought my 97 dx hatch for $950 of craigslist. only had a noisy tranny bearing
Yeah mine has the clutch completely gone. A better reason to swap it out with a exedy clutch and a fidanza flywheel. Which ill be doing next week.

Originally Posted by ALLxMOTOR EG
Just shop around and a great deal will pop up eventually...
YUP. what ^^ he said
Old 08-08-2009, 03:20 PM

I love coupes do it man u won't regret it
Old 08-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i actually picked my coupe up for the same price craigslist is a beautiful thing! lol
Old 08-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crxboy909
i actually picked my coupe up for the same price craigslist is a beautiful thing! lol

LMAO....

I agree. Especially for the reason that some people sell them chep sometimes not knowing what they have. Like in my situation. She said DX and it was canadian EX might even be Si since its canadian. Dont really care. I got all power windows,locks,moonroof etc. Thats right moonroof. The one that opens and goes back that way. Unlike my old Ek.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

i love my 98 coupe, i picked it up 2 years ago from a dealer 4100 out the door, bone stock.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a 97 Coupe, I picked it up bone stock and automatic for $3k last year. 149k Miles. Now its built boosted swapped and converted lol.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:05 PM

Thank of all your guys's comments/feedback!
It has helped out tremendously.. and because of hondatechs prime members, you have convinced me to go look at an 1995 ej1 he has for sale Monday. it has never been molested, garage kept, clear title, service done on time, one owner, form and function full suspension. 160k miles, 5spd for 3k flat.

Thanks all again, i have never been let down except for the few ricers on here. but your guys's work and help has always been 110% which is the best service i've ever had. Again, cant pay you guys enough respect. I hope to keep you guys informed on write ups of all my list of modifications and builds.
Cheers everyone who responded!
Old 08-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem vato...LoL. Just remember to post pics of your ride when you get her. Whatever it is you get.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:31 PM

lol. oh i will, she will be a picture ***** :D
Old 08-08-2009, 11:00 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by masuya_04
Hey all, i am about ready to make a decision and want it to be a good one. I am a fan of the 1996-2000 year Honda's. I have always owned hatchbacks (Mistu GSX, a Honda Fit) and they are great, but i just see them way to often now and kind of tired of it. I have been some researching on the EJ coupes, so my question is, for a DD, is the coupe more practical? As practical for me, i drive to work which is only 14 miles and i work 5 days a week. I am a full time employee at Best Buy. I do plan on having friends in the car when we go out and have fun.. so is a coupe more "roomy"?

Thanks a bunch guys, i come here for your guys's thoughts and hondatech has never let me down.
If you're looking for a car that you don't see to often, then a '96-'00 Civic is not for you.

Coupes and hatches easily fit one passenger plus driver. Getting into the back seat isn't as easy (the passenger front seat goes forward farther so it's easier to get in that side).

Coupes with moonroofs will have about two inches less headroom. This mostly matters if you're tall or if you're in the backseat.

Coupes, hatches and sedans have the same amount of leg room according to Edmunds.com, but they're known to be incorrect sometimes.

I've never had much of an issue with leg room in any Civic though. It has more to do with the discomfort of getting into the back seat if it's a coupe or hatch.

Depending on where you live, you might not want to get a '92-'00 Civic as a daily driver since they tend to turn up missing. But like I mentioned, some areas are safer about that than others.
LMAO....

I agree. Especially for the reason that some people sell them chep sometimes not knowing what they have. Like in my situation. She said DX and it was canadian EX might even be Si since its canadian. Dont really care. I got all power windows,locks,moonroof etc. Thats right moonroof. The one that opens and goes back that way. Unlike my old Ek.
A moonroof is a type of sunroof, it's just able to be seen through. If it's not a moonroof, you can't see through it. Both can be power or manual, pop up or slide in, etc.

The 5G Civics had spoiler moonroofs while 6G Civics had in-built moonroofs. Since you mentioned an EK, you might have had an aftermarket sunroof though, so I'm not sure if this applies.

More info.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:05 PM

NOFX, you are the kings of all kings. I honestly have never got such great knowledgeable reply from somebody. That reply is a 5star.
My area which is both Ottawa Canada and Nevada have very low theft rate. I actually am going to go with a 1995 ej1 coupe. My buddy has got one that has 160k miles for 3k and has never been molested, ever.

But thank you very very much, appreciate it very much!
Old 08-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ queen lol
Old 08-08-2009, 11:12 PM

king
lol. (EDIT: ARGH, beaten because I typed more information so it didn't look like I was just correcting the royalty comment)

I picked up a 1996 Civic EX automatic back in 2007 for about 3K, it was my daily driver for 2 years, now a mini-project. I don't regret the decision at all, never had backseat people complaining, though I am only 68 inches tall so I don't lean far back. I drove ~16 miles from Mesquite to Rockwall daily with comfort.

Since you're going with a 1995 Civic, that'll be good: You'll already be OBD1 in case you want to modify the motor and have it tuned later on.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Davus
lol. (EDIT: ARGH, beaten because I typed more information so it didn't look like I was just correcting the royalty comment)

I picked up a 1996 Civic EX automatic back in 2007 for about 3K, it was my daily driver for 2 years, now a mini-project. I don't regret the decision at all, never had backseat people complaining, though I am only 68 inches tall so I don't lean far back. I drove ~16 miles from Mesquite to Rockwall daily with comfort.

Since you're going with a 1995 Civic, that'll be good: You'll already be OBD1 in case you want to modify the motor and have it tuned later on.
Niice that is great to know :D im glad i went with a 1995 civic. i will probably have my car tuned once i get some headers on.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:51 PM
H-T White Ops

Jeez. I swear sometimes it's like a contest to who gets to be first to point out my gender.

I'm no queen or anything though. I just know a little bit. I've gone over the sunroof versus moonroof arguments a few times on this site and probably a few others.

I guess I should add about my car.

I purchased my '98 Civic EX coupe six years ago for about $8,000 with 87,000 miles on it.

I've been able to fit taller guys in the backseat than I would expect, but I never made it into a habit to drive lots of people around. So I didn't get much of a chance to hear a lot of complaints if there would have been any.

My boyfriend has also owned a '97 Civic CX hatch for most of the time I've known him. I've sat in the backseat when he's had friends in the front often. I'm not too big (5'4 or so, 125-140 pounds during that time). Getting in and out of the back seat sucks, even for smaller people.

I've managed to hit my head on the back of the roof while sitting there. Leg room usually wasn't much of an issue, but I have short legs.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:53 PM
H-T White Ops

NOFX, you are the kings of all kings. I honestly have never got such great knowledgeable reply from somebody. That reply is a 5star.
My area which is both Ottawa Canada and Nevada have very low theft rate. I actually am going to go with a 1995 ej1 coupe. My buddy has got one that has 160k miles for 3k and has never been molested, ever.

But thank you very very much, appreciate it very much!
Glad to be able to help out.

At last parts of Nevada do have high theft rates. I even had a friend who had a car stolen down there when he was at school. I think it was a '92-'95 Civic.

Make sure you get an alarm on the car asap. The better the install, the less likely it will get stolen. Even stock cars get stolen, but the more stock it looks (like ride height, for example), the less likely it will even be noticed.

Quick Reply: What's your opinion on an ej DD..