Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Whats killing my battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats killing my battery

Ok so I was cleaning out my car yesterday(00 civic EX). So I listening to my radio. I figured it would be ok,since its a brand new battery in there(bought it 2 months ago-DieHard). I must have been out there for about 40mins. I tried starting my car and it was dead.The car tried to turn over, but thats all it did. So i went inside took a shower and came back maybe an hour and a half.This time it had barely enough juice to turn over. I left it running for awhile so the alternator could possibly recharge the battery. So i come back turn if off and it turns back on just fine. I go to a friends house and come back just fine.Now today when i'm getting ready to go to work, same issue barely enough juice to start the car and i'm like wtf. I make it to work turn it off and try to turn it back on same thing. I don't know if this could be it but i changed my spark plug and spark plug wires the same day, now could that in anyway be killing my battery(never heard of that) or is my altenator shot, or is is my alarm, or should i check and make sure my battery is tied down properly. Thanks for any help...sorrry for the long read..
Old 03-28-2005, 04:55 AM

Default Re: Whats killing my battery (Mark Murda)

check your alt. to do this is easy, turn on your car, turn on your head lights, then disconnect the NAGATIVE (-) battery cable. if your head lights turn off, then you know your alt. is bad. if they stay on then its good. your battery might have a bad cell, even though it's new doesn't mean that it's good.
And Yes, your alarm can kill your battery.
And No your plug wires cant kill your battery.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:16 AM

Thanks for the quick response.It's raining, but later on today i'm gonna do the alt check. Thanks...
Old 03-28-2005, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mark Murda)

You are. It's your name.

EDIT: In all seriousness, it could be anything. Are you turning your headlights off?
Sounds like a stupid question, but I know I've done worse.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:55 AM

You are. It's your name.

Thats funny lol....But I wish it was as simple as me leaving my headlights on. If i leave my head lights on,even my park lights it has this real loud annoying alarm that goes off. So its not that. Thanks for the laugh
Old 03-28-2005, 06:24 AM
I hate everything

Default Re: (Mark Murda)

Do what the guy said about disconnecting nagative with headlights on, also, at the time night time, pop your hood, then start your car, look for any arching or anything. A loose wire might be your problem, never know though.

I remember i bought a new battery one week, next week alternator went. What happened to me was my gauge lights went really dim, and my wiper blades drgged across my windsheild, either way, good luck.

iTR