Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What are your suggestions after bad paint work done at a custom shop???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are your suggestions after bad paint work done at a custom shop???

sorry about the long post but pls read it. thanks.

ok finally got my car back 1993 honda civic hatchback. when i took it to the shop the guy told me it was going to take him 1.5-2 weeks to paint the car with some little body work. will it took him 3 and a half weeks. i visited the shop every 3-4 days and i see my car body work already done after like 1.5 weeks but car was never painted until i told him i needed my car this weekend. he told me he will get the car painted so it was like 2 days for him to paint the car (which he rushed). when everything was done and i was called to pick up the car my car was total crap. he told me to bring the car home and bring it back in 1 week so the clear will settle and harden and he can fix some of the flaws (hella lot). by the way the car is painted alpine white from the new bmw so i dont know if white is hard to paint or what ever. i paid them $1,500 to get my car painted i know its not a whole lot of money but with this economic crisis throwing $1,500 to paint a car out of pocket really put a huge hole in my wallet.

flaws on the car:
*hella drip marks (paint runs or clear coat runs)
*alot of orange peels (rough paint not smooth at all)
*alot of specs of dirt on the paint or clear coat
*very badly prepped or taped off before car was painted cuz alot of my weather strip got painted on.
*seems like they messed with my interior like putting wrong screws for my doors, mud guards, alot of loose parts, broken molding tabs which they told me i have to replace myself!

goods on the car*
only good thing is the body is flawless now no dents and everything is straight.

***what do you suggest i do when i bring the car back? from the results i see it seems like the only way to get this solved is to repaint the WHOLE car cuz his excuse was that a new painter he hired was the one who painted my car and said himself that it turned out pretty good which is complete crap!
Old 05-27-2009, 09:45 PM

Default Re: What are your suggestions after bad paint work done at a custom shop???

take pictures of the flaws and whole car itself.
have before pictures of it (to show trim and interior condition before the mayhem happened)

go to him personally (shop owner/manager) tell him and show him how the paint job is unacceptable. request that he re-paint it to a proper and acceptable finished paint. and fix the over spray on your trim aswell missing screws.

if he refuses straight up tell him well you will be hearing from my lawyer very soon and your company will be sued for the damages done to said vehicle.

that alone should scare him into a better state of mind to work with you.

do not have an attitude or any difference in your tone of voice. be professional.

files you can claim if he still refuses should be, small claims court, personal property damage. may be others also.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are your suggestions after bad paint work done at a custom shop???

sounds like a civil suit right there man. take him to small claims if he refuses.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that sucks
Old 05-28-2009, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

to me something like that is pretty much expected at most paint places... he wants the paint to dry a bit before he wet sands and buffs everything.. it will loook better after that but to what degree who knows
Old 05-28-2009, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No offense, You get what you pay for...
Old 05-28-2009, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's utter crap, but it WAS a new guy painting the car, so talk to the owner and try to work something out.

The clear could be sanded off and the base could be wet sanded to get rid of orange peel, runs and probably most of the dirt hopefully.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i will definitely go back and tell him to try his best to fix all the damages but with the very very poor prep before paint im pretty sure he is gonna have to respray the whole car cuz way too much orange peel, runs, and uneven paint on certian areas. hiring a new painter is not my issue so he needs to get that solved. $1,500 for a paint job is not the most but i from the results i got from a 1,500 paint job it is unacceptable! ive seen 800 dollar paint jobs that are way better. thing im most pissed off of is the screws he used. they are screws not even made for the car cuz he probably loss mine and put whatever he had laying around so thats why fitment on the panels sucks
Old 05-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get most, or all, of your money back. You could have taken your car to Maaco and had the same results for a couple hundred dollars. Honestly, you should have never left there with your car, you should have made him do it over right then.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do any of you think i can get my money back if i am not satisfied with the work and he refuses to repaint the car???
Old 05-28-2009, 12:30 PM

yes, as it is with the imperfections stated it's considered as bad paint job which is not what you paid for. so he is by law required to give you your FULL amount paid back.

and i can say this that new painter will be losing his job or taking a serious pay cut and losing the high money jobs.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This happened to me at Maaco when I had my Prelude. Runs, weak clearcoat, and peeling paint. Live and learn. Find a trusty body guy.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats because its maaco and you get what you pay for... lol like you said though live and learn. but to the OP i would go to the owner/manager of the shop first and see if he will be a civilized business man and fix the car to the condition it should have been done in the first place. if not, then take him small claims court/civic suit, you'll win as long as everything you said in this post is true to a T. if this is a reputable shop, they should give you no problems and fix their foul up. Good luck man
Old 05-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Find the New Guy and BEAT HIS ***!!! Nah you should do the **** they said above with the owner and the court ****..... Like really though these mothafukkaz know damn well they wouldn't paint their own car the way they **** up other people ****...
Old 05-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you said the car is flawless no dents dings hope they just dinnit fill every thing in with bondo
Old 05-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would have never taken the car in the first place, but I do understand why you did. I waited for my car to get some head work done(port and polish). I waited for three weeks. It's nice to just have the car back again. Take it back and have them fix it. That is really all you can do. Court will not award you your money back. They will make them re-do it. You will just be wasting your time at court. Talk to the owner, and if he's not a total piece of ****, he'll have it fixed. GL.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:40 PM

^^ cosigned.... I was going to say the same. Getting your money back is out. He liable to repaint though. Hopefully he is a decent person and takes responsibility or else you will have to pay an attorney just get him to repaint. Good luck
Old 05-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i will try to get him to repaint the car himself. i know i am picky and i do not expect a perfect paint job but the results i got back from my car is horrible.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mynameizstitch
yeah i will try to get him to repaint the car himself. i know i am picky and i do not expect a perfect paint job but the results i got back from my car is horrible.
I would expect a near perfect paintjob. If the clearcoat has a little orange peel, I can wetsand and buff it myself, but runs are no bueno. They need to respray your car.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well the least he can do is to offer you to respray it. But man, depends how much you pay. haha. Did you go to a ghetto shop? Its business like this that will eventually go out of business because customers will come back to him once and learn from their lesson. I wish you the best, and if it comes down to getting a lawsuit going. Go for it. That's totally unacceptable. Unless you not telling us about previous damages to the car body and paint that cause it to not look absolutely right.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah ima try to get him to cut and buff some parts but like i said some parts just needs to be resprayed especially the front bumper. paint on it seems uneven.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:14 PM

Wow people are saying you get what you pay for like $1,500 is cheap. That's more than what some cars are worth. But I'd hate to have that happen to me, no matter the price. But what most of them have said, I'd talk to the manager. Just my 2¢.