Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what wrong w/ my friends car? help us!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 10:47 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what wrong w/ my friends car? help us!!

ok a friends car is not moving.. something is messed w/ the tranny we know that for a fact.. he said he was driving and it just starting making a grinding noise. so i leave work on my lunch break to take a look at it, i get it moving agian and tell him to get it to my house asap so i can take a look at it after work for him, but then it just stops moving agian. he has a 95 civic cx stock motor (just bought the car) w/ intake and exhaust. but its a tranny problem i know it is. we put the car into first gear and it will rev up and the speedo will move sayin your going about 20 mph but the car goes nowhere and makes a horrible noise.. did he snap an axle? throwout bearing? what is his problem? it is parked in the parking lot at my work till we find out whats wrong w/ it.. any help out please..
Old 07-24-2002, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: what wrong w/ my friends car? help us!! (95CivicEX)

its the clutch
Old 07-25-2002, 04:01 AM

u just bought it...its a lemon, take it back...every state has a "lemon" law. ur entitled to ur money back
Old 07-25-2002, 05:23 PM
Trial User

Default Re: what wrong w/ my friends car? help us!! (dniedacess)

u just bought it...its a lemon, take it back...every state has a "lemon" law. ur entitled to ur money back
ttt

he cant do that cause he bought the car from carmax and it drove fine for the last 3 months that he has had it and now this.. what could be wrong w/ the clutch?? is it something that is easily fixed by replacing the clutch? or does it involve more w/ the tranny..
Old 07-25-2002, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well if it was the axle you should be able to see it . If its the clutch you should have smelled something . I've burned up clutches and they smell like ****! Its hard to diagnose a car without seeing it , but to me sounds like you need a new clutch. Good luck!

Also have you tried to see if it will move when its in another gear (2nd or 3rd) if it moves in second and not in first. It's the tranny 1st gear has no teeth left on it.

[Modified by stuckatworksi, 2:30 AM 7/26/2002]
Old 07-25-2002, 05:33 PM
Trial User

Default Re: what wrong w/ my friends car? help us!! (stuckatworksi)

Well if it was the axle you should be able to see it . If its the clutch you should have smelled something . I've burned up clutches and they smell like ****! Its hard to diagnose a car without seeing it , but to me sounds like you need a new clutch. Good luck!

Also have you tried to see if it will move when its in another gear (2nd or 3rd) if it moves in second and not in first. It's the tranny 1st gear has no teeth left on it.

[Modified by stuckatworksi, 2:30 AM 7/26/2002]
yes ive tried to get the car to move in another gear besides first an it did the same thing.. as for clutch smell it was not there and i know what a burnt clutch smells like cause ive seen and done it before.. what is the axle broke inside the tranny or in the boot something and it not letting the wheel spin. its weird how you can put it into geat w/ out grinding and the mph will go up as if you were moving the car is steady. any ideas?
Old 07-25-2002, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pull the tranny fluid plug and if little to nothing comes out its your tranny %100 all the bearings are Fucked so you will need a new tranny (used) dont rebuiled it not worth the money PM me if that the case thanks
Old 07-25-2002, 07:49 PM

well if it maks a grinding noise as soon as it goes in any gear, then it might also be the int. shaft broken in the gearbox and its better to replace that unless it broke from the inside and took the gear web with it....
Do you have to rev the car up real high to make it move a little?
Old 07-25-2002, 08:02 PM
Banned

I think I had the same problem with my tranny. The teeth on the clutch just completely grinded off. when I put it into gear and slowly drop the clutch pedal, it starts to make a grinding noise and the car wouldnt move. But first you might want to check to axels.

[Modified by DualKnuttz, 5:02 AM 7/26/2002]
Old 07-25-2002, 08:05 PM
Trial User

Default Re: what wrong w/ my friends car? help us!! (DualKnuttz)

ok problem is fixed.. it was the axle inside the the cv boot from what my friend told me tonight when he called me. infact he only had to pay 75$ for a deductable and carmax fixed it cause it was still under warranty.. thanks everyone.. i knew that it could not be something taht serious.. i would have been able to replace the axle but he had the car towed to a service place and they did it..