Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What would you do in my case

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Would you do in this case?

I know this may not be the right forum for this post but I pray that the Mod will cut me some slack as I am a trial user and I can't post in the "General Discussions Area" His Shop is Honda Related and he is a member of H-T so why not let H-T decided his fate.

Well I am face with this problem. A few months ago a friend of mine (at the time) allowed me to rebuild a Type R engine at his Shop. I was planning to put it into my car once I was done, but a friend another aquaintance of mine needed a tranny and fast so I sold him my R tranny. I was about to go on vacation and would not be able to find another tranny before I left so I decided to put the Engine up for sale. I had a few prospects but we all know how that dance goes. I ended up leaving and a few weeks later My former Friend (we'll call him Jonny) Any way Jonny stated how slow business was as it was the winter and he is in the Honda Performance business so he told me that a customer wanted to buy my R engine. We agreed on a certain price for the engine as the customer was going to pay Jonny for the labor and add in a few other goodies. I agreed to sell the engine for 2500 (Long Block Fresh rebuilt 11.1:1 compression new HG etc etc)

Moving along, The customer was happy and Jonny got to install the engine and the customer paid Jonny handsomly. Jonny agreed to give me the 2500 upon my return in early February of 2003. Only this didn't happen. This little idiot took the 2500 dollars and instead of giving it to me he spent it. Not only this but he tried to avoid me for most of February. Once I finally got hold of Jonny I asked him about the $$ and that is when he told me that he had spent it and he had hoped to have replaced it by then but business was slow.

So in the interest of Friendship I let it slide but I made it clear that I wanted to square this matter up ASAP. Jonny took out a lone and promised to pay me the money that following weekend, but didn't. The Following week Jonny gave me a check for 1500 with a promise that he would pay the balance in a week or two. So again in the interest of Friendship I allowed this.

Weeks went by and then months with me periodically asking Jonny about the money. Jonny Assured me that he had every intention to pay me back but was unable to due to slow business. Customer's Cars came and went and I was taking note anticipating the moment that Jonny would hand me that grand and I could go about and finish my projects. That never happened, but what did happen was Jonny purchased a brand new 2003 Chevy S-10 with all the bells and whistles. Pissed, but understanding, I let that slide as well. Weeks went by and Jonny, still full of BS excuses, goes out and Purchases a brand new 2003 Kawasaki Ninja motorcycle. Okay at this point I am beyond pissed but I maintain my cool. I ask Jonny for the money or at least a partial payment. Jonny assures me that if he could he would give me something. Then Jonny says he is going to sell his Car. I thought cool at least I will get my $$ now, But the idiot wants to sell this car for an outrageous price no one is going to buy that death trap for 12 grand

Well then he says he will part it out. I think Cool so now maybe I can get the tranny from the drive train so I can finish my car. He refuses to sell the tranny and asks for 1600 bux for a USED REBUILT tranny that he rebuilt himself and told me out right that he has trouble rebuilding trannies. "They never shift right after I had my hands in them." YEAH RIGHT 1600 for a used USDM R tranny that he drag races religiously for the past 2+ years??? I said never mind and I just need my grand. So I wrote him an e-mail laying my thought and feelings out in a peaceful manner. I just said that I didn't appreciate him taking advantage of my kindness and I need my money or at least some effort on his part to pay me. This is 4 months from when he said he would pay me.

Well to wrap this up Jonny gets all mad at me and gets an attitude and threatens me. Telling me that I am not a real man etc etc to come down to his shop and face him like a man. So I went to Jonny's Shop and he was hiding from me. He was Never there and I went there several times at various times of the day. Finally I wrote him a letter and sent it Certified mail since he refused to return my phone calls and e-mails. Basically the letter stated that he had 7 days to pay me or we would go to court over it. This made Jonny really mad and Finally I caught up with him at his shop and this was a very unproductive meeting. Jonny thought I would be too scared to confront him and I guess I surprised Jonny when he didn't scare me away.

I have filed a claim in the court and then Jonny tries to make a payment. Here is the question Should I accept his payment and give him another chance or should I just ride it out in court and get interest and punitive damages as well?

Sorry for the long drawn out story.

Modified by Volktron at 8:06 PM 6/25/2003
Old 06-20-2003, 08:01 PM

Default Re: What would you do in my case (Volktron)

What a sorry *** What is the name of his shop? I'll make sure not to ever go there

About your situation: I say, if he paid you half of what he owed you, let it slide. But if he just wants to give you like $100 or something weak like that, take him to court.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

some dude tried rooking me over a motor and i took him to court and he paid the full amount the day of the trial. i think u should take him to trial if he owes you ANY money.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:04 PM
New User

take 1k and leave it alone,...if you take it to court,...its gonna cost you for court fees and lawyer fees,..plus alot of headaches
Old 06-20-2003, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when u go to court and collect....hes probably gonna have to make payments and then u have to pay the lawyer and youll end up with like $20....
Old 06-20-2003, 08:21 PM

Default Re: What would you do in my case (WiDeBoDyEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WiDeBoDyEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take 1k and leave it alone,...if you take it to court,...its gonna cost you for court fees and lawyer fees,..plus alot of headaches </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is what I was thinking as well but I can sue him for court costs and lawyers fees as this is a small claims court matter there are no lawyers fees so I can recover the court costs. That's not an issue to me and ALSO I have it setup that I don't even have to go to the court the day of the trial if I don't want to. I have enough documentation and supporting evidence to allow this so it doesn't really put me out. I gave him plenty of time to pay and he waits till after I told him I'd file. I guess if pays in full then we can avoid going to court but I will not accept partial payments at this point.

The Shop is local and he doesn't do retail. Problem is, to my knowledge Jonny is a competent mechanic, just that he is not a very honest person from my point of view.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:25 PM

Default Re: What would you do in my case (eg cookiemonster)

Take the money and drop it. Trust me it is not worth it. I don't think you will receive any punitive damages but you never know.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont tell me its KEVIN from vertex II motorsports that jipped you
Old 06-20-2003, 08:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WiDeBoDyEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take 1k and leave it alone,...if you take it to court,...its gonna cost you for court fees and lawyer fees,..plus alot of headaches </TD></TR></TABLE>

And dont ever do that **** again. I used to put alot of trust in folks...now its prove your honesty first and maybe I'll trust you later.

I dont like to be like that but overall it makes life easier...

Good luck
Old 06-20-2003, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take only what he promised you.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:40 PM

Default Re: What would you do in my case (ejprimo)

Dood I think that you are not exactly the smartest person in the world. I mean, how old are you anyway? You have to come online and post some stupid crap like this.What does our opinion matter anyway? It's your money not ours.Personally I think you should make your own decision and anyone that only hears one side of the story shouldn't really make snap judgements about the whole situation.There was this one total dumbass on here b4 named Dragonmotorsports or something that was a total scammer but there was plenty of proof to support it.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:47 PM

if i was you i would just take his payment and put this problem behind you. just get back the money that he owes you, dont try to get revenge by making him pay interest and punitive damages, be the bigger man in this situation. good luck!
Old 06-23-2003, 09:07 PM

Yes take the damn money. There is no need in going to court and wasting tax dollars, if your agenda has already been met. You learned your lesson - he learned his. No need for a third party. Really sorry about your luck. That guy needs a
Old 06-24-2003, 11:06 AM

Default Re: What would you do in my case (IWUNDERY)

What does my age have to do with it? Yes I was dumb to trust a person I called a friend. To trust that he wouldn't take the money in the first place. 4 months ago I was interested in picking up my money from him. Then it turned into a chore of bill collecting. Yeah this is one side of the story, but it is theonly side. Jonny has nothing to say because Jonny is guilty plain and simple. I have hidden the IDentity of this person and made this totally Hypothetical to all who are reading. So what is your point? Oh and as for proof LOL Yeah you mention Dragon Motorsports the only proof was the rantings of one person so in that case I think I have that covered. I am sure JONNY doesn't want me to provide all the proof I have to convict him. I sent Jonny a link to this thread and I am sure if Jonny had something to say in his defense then he would have. Or has he already?

I posted because I wanted to see if I was being reasonable. Asking the opinion of people who are not directly involved and really don't have a stake in it is in my mind just a further attempt at being FAIR. Yes Jonny has pissed me off and sure I would love to see him get what's coming to him, so I ask for others opinions to make sure I am not overreacting. The point is He shouldn't have taken the Money in the first place (Criminal offense). I gave him PLENTY of time to repay and I would have forgotten the wrong (taking the money without asking) and case closed.
He wanted to drag this all out and go threatening and going off at the mouth. He forced my hand to take him to court by not complying with the terms I outlined inorder to avoid going to court. So I file and NOW he wants to pay?
It's not all about revenge just action and consequence. What Consequence should he suffer for the wrongs he has committed?
Well I put it to him like this. PAYMENT IN FULL or we go to court. I have waited too long for money that was never asked to be borrowed. I have put up with his attitude and threats. Where is the point that I put my foot down? If you think I am being unreasonable that's your opinion and you're entitled. But I have missed out on three chances to purchase a Tranny for my car on account of this.
No it's not anyone at Vertex. The Shop is located in Maryland. I will get my money or my Judgment before I release the name and location of this shop.
Just a word of advice in the mean time. MAKE SURE YOU PAY AFTER THE JOB IS DONE AND MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS IN WRITING!!! If you pay with Cash GET A RECEIPT. Don't prepay for anything. They always get you when you let your guard down. If he can do a Friend like this what do you think he will do to someone who is not his friend? Just to show Jonny that I am the bigger man where I could have made this into a DON'T got to "Jonny's Shop" Thread I didn't, but Jonny should not test my patience and just pay me in full NOW.

Old 06-24-2003, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

first what i would do is change your sn...its too close to mines j/k

everything i can think of has been said, good luck with everything
Old 06-24-2003, 12:52 PM

Default Re: What would you do in my case (VoLTRoNx916)

Take your money, what the **** you gonna wait for?

Does the guy also have another shop in virgina?
Old 06-24-2003, 01:06 PM

Default Re: What would you do in my case (VoLTRoNx916)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VoLTRoNx916 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first what i would do is change your sn...its too close to mines j/k

everything i can think of has been said, good luck with everything</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, I used to love that show "Voltron" Yeah "Jonny" claimed that I was being unfair and claimed that I was just imagining that he took advantage of my niceness. I know he is clearly out of his mind, but I wanted to get the Public opinion on this matter. I'm all about being fair but when someone takes advantage of me then it I let them know. If that person continues to try and walk on me I have to shut him down.
In trying to get this case filed I found out that Jonny is operating his Shop without proper permits. Is it my civic duty to inform the public? I think if I did I would be doing it more out of contempt for Jonny than to do a civic duty so for that reason I have kept these things anonomous.
FYI: Jonny said he need an address to send the payment to so I gave it to him Last week. Not to mention that the address was on the return envelope from the certified letter. Well It's Tuesday and Still no payment. Is Jonny just trying to stall?
It only took one day for that certified letter to get to Jonny actually less than one day. (Mailed on the 10th and received on the 11th)
Old 06-24-2003, 01:08 PM

Your civic duty?

I don't think you want to shut him down you might wind up making some serious enemies.

And does he also have a shop in Virgina?
Old 06-24-2003, 01:25 PM

Default Re: What would you do in my case (Pho Real)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pho Real &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your civic duty?

I don't think you want to shut him down you might wind up making some serious enemies.

And does he also have a shop in Virgina?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No Just the Shop in MD.
What I mean by Civic Duty is that I know what has gone down here and I have my documentation. If I keep it all to myself and this happens to someone else then I might feel that it is partly my fault. On the other hand, like you said I may stand to make some enemies. Honestly that is not much of a concern of mine. The people who know me know that I am telling the truth here. Sad thing is Jonny knows too, just not man enough to admit he was wrong. I think I prefer it like this cause Jonny knows I could burry him if I really wanted to, but I'll leave that up to him. He's digging a nice DEEP hole for himself.

Thank you all for allowing me to vent a bit here.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:13 PM

Default Re: What would you do in my case (MRex97)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MRex97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if i was you i would just take his payment and put this problem behind you. just get back the money that he owes you, dont try to get revenge by making him pay interest and punitive damages, be the bigger man in this situation. good luck! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, just a quick update on this. It is Wednesday and still no payment from him.
Some of you said I should just let it go and take the money that he owes me. Sure I would love to avoid going to court. There is nothing to salvage of the friendship so that's not an issue. But, is there no consequence for his actions?
Put it this way, if someone robbed you for a grand. Came to you and pulled a grand out of your pocket. You found out about it what would you do? How about you confront this thief about the situation and he gets all smart with you and threatens you, What then? How about someone stole your car and you knew who it was would you just want him to return the car and be done with it? Jonny Used the money that was supposed to be given to me and paid his rent. I ask for it back and he gets mad with me. Says his business is more important that me. Bottom line is that Jonny commited a CRIME and I have given him plenty of time to make it right. I am giving Jonny a chance to come clean and pay up, but Jonny wants to BS around and talk smack.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can relate to this. well i used to live in japan and still had friends there. 'bout a year ago, i send a so-called friend a personal check for $300 so he could pick up a set of cams for me. well i never got the cams nor did i get my money back. even though the money value in your situation is more, we are in the same situation when it comes down to who our true friends are. sorry for your losses.. at least you know now who your real friends are, and remember - what goes around comes around, our so called friends will get theirs later on in life, thats how i think about it.

Modified by allmtrSI at 8:16 PM 6/25/2003
Old 06-25-2003, 09:01 PM

You’re either a really patient guy, a loyal friend or idiot. I don't know what you are waiting for... take that fool to court. He brought it upon himself. If he did that sh*t to you he was never your friend in the first place.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:45 AM

Default Re: (Rice Cooker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rice Cooker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You're either a really patient guy, a loyal friend or idiot. I don't know what you are waiting for... take that fool to court. He brought it upon himself. If he did that sh*t to you he was never your friend in the first place.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I tried to be both a loyal Friend (but I guess that has to go both ways) and patient. Well My patience has run out and I filed about a week ago in Upper Marlboro in Small claims court. Just after I filed Jonny called me and asked for an adress where he could send the money. I gave Jonny the address TWICE and Still no $$$ just a bunch of foul words and threats
I guess I can give myself the ole a few times for even thinking that he was a real freind. Just a user and a loser. He Lied and he stole and lied some more. Always kinda suspected something Shady about him. How could I have been so blind. Oh Well you know what they say, Hind Site is 20/20
Got the court papers today and "Jonny, the IDIOT" will be served shortly. Wish I could get a video when he gets served Guess he thought I was bluffing.

Modified by Volktron at 7:13 PM 7/2/2003
Old 07-09-2003, 06:26 PM

Default Re: (Volktron)

Chances over Papers will be served by the 24th of this month.

TO all that said to give this jerk a break I thought it's funny that you say that when I was just reading a thread about a car thief and everyone was saying HANG the fool.
What is the difference here? Took my money and refuses to pay.

Click The link in my Signature to get the FACTS and Evidence

Old 07-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would you do in my case (IWUNDERY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IWUNDERY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dood I think that you are not exactly the smartest person in the world. I mean, how old are you anyway? You have to come online and post some stupid crap like this.What does our opinion matter anyway? It's your money not ours.Personally I think you should make your own decision and anyone that only hears one side of the story shouldn't really make snap judgements about the whole situation.There was this one total dumbass on here b4 named Dragonmotorsports or something that was a total scammer but there was plenty of proof to support it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

this guys sounds like our so called JOHNNY lol but what do i know. it says hes from maryland under his name, hes a trial user and the shop was in MD

Quick Reply: What would you do in my case