anywho
i have a white 97 EX coupe with a 2.5" catback
a pretty decent system
and some goodies for looks
no engine mods though
i was just wondering
one of my friends is completely consumed in cobras
and he is trying to get an 03-04 one
they have 390 HP and TQ, weigh about 3665, 1/4 in i think he said like 14's and supposedly do 0-60 in like 4.7 (according to him)
its going to cost him around 23-25k

but now im on the verge of deciding...
do i swap my civic and throw some boost on there (will be quite a while lol)
or do i sell my car, and get a different car that i can beat him with?
he always thrashes on 4 cylinders saying that they will never beat him once he gets it
my main thing is i want to beat him...preferably in a 4 cylinder lol
i was just wondering, what would it take for me to be able to beat him in my car?
i wont be able to do any major mods for quite a while
but im just thinking down the road here

what i would like to do
would be a GSR swap, and change out a few things so it will be ok for some boost, then slap some on
or possibly going N/A for a while

but how much power do you think ill actually have to be making to be able to beat him?

just let me know what you think

thanks

Jnco

PS. i really dont know a lot about cars, so if you are saying anything technical, please put it in dumb man terms
Old 11-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What would it take for me to... (Jncominco2)

i was whooping on cobras and ss camaros when i had my 217hp N/A setup in a hatchback. its power to weight ratio. your honda only weighs 2500 lbs thats 1k less than his so you dont need that much horsepwer as him to run the same time. a simple all motor set-up putting out 190 hp can get you running 13.5
Old 11-06-2007, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What would it take for me to... (fmrprojects)

so what do you think would be the best route to go?
and what would be my price range here?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1 - If you can't afford to boost your Civic, you won't be purchasing anything that'll come close to his Cobra.

2 - It's quicker than mid 14's in the 1/4mi. Maybe with your ricer friend driving you'll have a chance if you're boosted.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you were close to me i have a N/A set-up for sale thats puts down 233hp, 156tq.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:54 AM

Default Re: What would it take for me to... (t0p_sh0tta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by t0p_sh0tta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1 - If you can't afford to boost your Civic, you won't be purchasing anything that'll come close to his Cobra.

2 - It's quicker than mid 14's in the 1/4mi. Maybe with your ricer friend driving you'll have a chance if you're boosted.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. as of now i cant, no
im only 17 and in school still
like i said this is in the future, once i get out of school
and i really doubt he will be getting it soon anyway, if at all

2. i had no idea what it actually runs

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you were close to me i have a N/A set-up for sale thats puts down 233hp, 156tq. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i wish
Old 11-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah start saving up cause iots gonna cost you 4k+ for you to beat your friend. i would say keep your honda and build it. nothing better than to whoop on a 8 cyl.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you were close to me i have a N/A set-up for sale thats puts down 233hp, 156tq. </TD></TR></TABLE>

dayum^ i'd buy that if i was close

if you guys are both in school together, i wouldn't worry about your time frame because there is no ******* way unless he has rich parents he is getting an 03-04 cobra....even if he did save up and somehow manage insurance for an 18 year old with a mustang cobra by that time you could be making 500 whp and have another daily driver.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah start saving up cause iots gonna cost you 4k+ for you to beat your friend. i would say keep your honda and build it. nothing better than to whoop on a 8 cyl. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i will
i was thinking of possibly doing a personal loan if possible
any idea on the payments for one? lol
cause 4-6k sounds a lot better than me paying like 13-14k for another car, then more money to mod that to beat him
and thats what i want
i want to see the priceless look on their face when they get beat by one

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by forcefedferio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dayum^ i'd buy that if i was close

if you guys are both in school together, i wouldn't worry about your time frame because there is no ******* way unless he has rich parents he is getting an 03-04 cobra....even if he did save up and somehow manage insurance for an 18 year old with a mustang cobra by that time you could be making 500 whp and have another daily driver.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

well hes been home schooled his whole life
so he has a full time job
and his grand parents got some money
although he will still be paying for it
and i know his insurance will be up there

Old 11-06-2007, 12:30 PM
* B A N N E D *

ever been inside a cobra?

my freind just got an 03 svt coupe (non convertable)

we installed an x pipe on it to no mufflers, a cold air induction box, and a wet shot..........they ******* haul *** and the supercharger screams on it when he stomps it....

4.6L iron block aluminum head 8psi (factory) 390/390 independent rear
6spd

bitch runs like 13 seconds .... ran him over 25 grand used.....sold his sr20 240sx for the down on that beast LOL

lets put it in compareison for you

my k24/k20 frank motor cannot take my freinds SVT when he is spraying....i dont think your b18 will smoke it ....and im 9 grand into it

PS these COBRA's are the fastest mustang made since 2003

the mach1 is 1 step below it. and any random 5-0 or 4-6 mustang is not even related to it ..completley diffrent block and heads.....the 5-0 and 4-6's of previous gens use all aluminum blocks( so if anybody says ya im sure you can smoke it i smoke mustangs all the time and this is one is just supercharged is an idiot)
Old 11-06-2007, 12:36 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: What would it take for me to... (suicide_shift)

i mean to build a motor to keep up with a modded svt youll have to start with a k24 block sleeve it, run a lower comp ratio, some huge turbo......some ALS system..in an atom

Old 11-06-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Re: What would it take for me to... (suicide_shift)

yeah actually ive been in them lol
i know they scream

he wont be spraying though
although that doesnt mean he still doesnt haul ***
and yes they are expensive i know

and i dont have a b18...at least if you were referring to me

i know they are the fastest mustangs since the 01's
i want like a 99-01 cobra
but it would cost me like 14k for one
and ill be pushin around 320 hp if i did
but that still wont be beating his
so thats why im trying to figure out what and how much its actually going to take to beat his if i kept the civic
cause i sure hope it aint no 14k
or i might as well be gettin a cobra myself
Old 11-06-2007, 12:41 PM

another thing too
is i know they come partially built
but he was planning on building it more
and putting a kenne bell 2.2 or so on it
which would make it scream even more
how he is going to afford this im not sure
which is why im not sure if he will afford it at all
but once he gets that on there
he "should" be pushing anywheres from 450-500
Old 11-06-2007, 12:49 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jncominco2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah actually ive been in them lol
i know they scream

he wont be spraying though
although that doesnt mean he still doesnt haul ***
and yes they are expensive i know

and i dont have a b18...at least if you were referring to me

i know they are the fastest mustangs since the 01's
i want like a 99-01 cobra
but it would cost me like 14k for one
and ill be pushin around 320 hp if i did
but that still wont be beating his
so thats why im trying to figure out what and how much its actually going to take to beat his if i kept the civic
cause i sure hope it aint no 14k
or i might as well be gettin a cobra myself</TD></TR></TABLE>

if your ultimate goal is to beat a cobra.....by the time you make one fast enough to beat a cobra itll be absoulete

to do the k24 cheaply i learned how to build and rebuild motors at 16, joined metal and autoshop at 17, apprenticed for 8months, became a tech at 17, bought 2 welders a stick and TIG machine.....aswell as 15k in tools i bought for work (snap-on which actually isnt very many tools just a box and alot of sockets/specia;lty tools) ......it took me 2 years to get the car moving......the car is stripped with looped rack powersteering...... no a/c only 1 seat, and it looks stock

it wouldve been cheaper for me to buy the Rustang and go from there
Old 11-06-2007, 01:00 PM

if you want to beat him, get an old fox body mustang 79-93, and drop a built 302, you can have that set up for the same 4 grand that you would be putting into a turbo, and be putting close to 500 to the ground if you do it right. i4's are fast but nothing comairs to a built v8.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i remember the first time i got into one of those mustangs.
tackiest interior ever, and whats up with the gramma seats?
Old 11-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you dont need 9k to beat a cobra...

yes they are fast i have coupel friends with cobras. a 745 hp vert and 680 hp non vert.

they go 11.03. Yes that is a very very fast street car. No you dont need 9k to build a honda that can run that fast.

LS/Vtec with sc61 15 lbs my friend has at 420 hp and ran a flat 11. Yes he has all the supporting mods. Without the car the build cost him about 5k.

You dont need to sleeve a k24 to run faster then him.

EF and EGs with k20a2(sorry not familar with the Type R motor code) with cams/ hytech header/ custom 3 inch exhaust and other supporting bolt on mods ran a 11.3. but this build cost a bit more around 9k like shift has said.

but if the cobra only runs 13s then its a very very feasible goal.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: What would it take for me to... (Frickr)

so u guys are saying the best bet would be to try and get a loan for a cobra myself? like a 99-01?
Old 11-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

K series is quick...so im not sure why his franken K motor cant take cobras...

this is all motor on street tires.
1. Jeremyinlinepro - VA / 11.32@122 / EG K20 Modified / 2350lbs / 225/50/15 BFG Drag Radials

all motor on slicks
1. K20pinay - CA / 10.44@131MPH / CRX K24 + Mods / 1650 lbs. / M/T: 26x8.5x15

here is K on turbo

Tyler H / 9.977 @ 147.63 / '98 EK hatch / IPS K24 (2294cc) / Garrett GT4088R / 30 PSI / 2575 lbs / 24.5x9x13 MT Slicks

K20Boiz - NC/ 10.53 @ 145mph./ 02' EM2/ Built, sleeved, custom k20a2/ Garrett GT3782/ 2 Bar/ Kpro/ 2500lbs/ HoosierA6/

Gabriel/ 10.56 @ 143 K20a2 boosted 25 psi 24.5x8.5 2490 94 hb

Boostedgsr-si - TX / 10.80 @ 131 / '95 EG hatch / Stock K20a2 / Garrett T4/GT35R / 33 PSI / st00pid tuned / 2310 lbs / 25 x 8.7 x 13 MH

na200whp- 10.899/K24/20 / 5spd /GT35R / 24.5 x 8 M&H / 2300lbs/92 EG Hatch/FullRace stage 3GT

as you can see there is a range of built and not built motors that run insanely fast times...

so beating a cobra isnt bad at all
Old 11-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jncominco2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so u guys are saying the best bet would be to try and get a loan for a cobra myself? like a 99-01?</TD></TR></TABLE>

DO NOT GET A LOAN to build your car...thats about teh stupidest thing you can do.

if i were you and your friend only has a stock cobra and they run 13s?

i would either build your D series for 2k and boost the **** out of it and that will run you faster tehn 13s with a good tune.

DO NOT get the GSR.

Get an LS you can find a long block for 200-400. You can build that or just straight boost it and youll run low 13s .

If you want to go a lil further then either go b20/vtec or ls/vtec(walls are stronger) and boost that. If you build a high compression B20 or ls/vtec you could get high 12s with supporting monds.

or go all out and get a k and boost it...but i doubt you have the money...

IMO i would throw in forged pistons/rods in your y8 get a decent turbo kit and good tuen and you should be very competitive towards teh cobra.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:31 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: What would it take for me to... (The Lobster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Lobster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DO NOT GET A LOAN to build your car...thats about teh stupidest thing you can do.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

if his freind opts for just 500 bucks in aftermarket equipment he is in the 12's...i think they run really really low 13's stock
Old 11-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (The Lobster)

I can see it now...You one-up him, then he's going to up his boost and beat you, so on and so forth...

The end reult is going to be a ton of time and cash spent, factor in stuff breaking, maybe some citations, and hopefully no serious accidents...and the glory of being faster in a drag race?
Old 11-06-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: What would it take for me to... (The Lobster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Lobster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

DO NOT GET A LOAN to build your car...thats about teh stupidest thing you can do.

i would either build your D series for 2k and boost the **** out of it and that will run you faster tehn 13s with a good tune.

DO NOT get the GSR.

Get an LS you can find a long block for 200-400. You can build that or just straight boost it and youll run low 13s .

If you want to go a lil further then either go b20/vtec or ls/vtec(walls are stronger) and boost that. If you build a high compression B20 or ls/vtec you could get high 12s with supporting monds.

or go all out and get a k and boost it...but i doubt you have the money...

IMO i would throw in forged pistons/rods in your y8 get a decent turbo kit and good tuen and you should be very competitive towards teh cobra.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was also thinkin of the ls/vtec
but there is a guy at my work...and he is pretty freakin smart with hondas
and he said that since the GSR has an inline oil line goin for the vtec and it has a better head or something that it would beat an LS/vtec
i can get the ls from a friend for like 400 bucks
he can get plenty of them
should i go that route?
Old 11-06-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Re: (SoullessJapaneseMachine)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoullessJapaneseMachine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can see it now...You one-up him, then he's going to up his boost and beat you, so on and so forth...

The end reult is going to be a ton of time and cash spent, factor in stuff breaking, maybe some citations, and hopefully no serious accidents...and the glory of being faster in a drag race? </TD></TR></TABLE>

but if i spend the 400+ for an ls/vtec and boost it, and i should come close to beating him
with his insurance, and car payment
i really dont think he soing to be do anything to it soon
since hell only be 18
Old 11-06-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Re: (The Lobster)

those are all race prepped motors, i doubt those cars get driven on the street. yes it is possible, but that mustange has a hell of alot more capibility for power then any honda will ever have. one of my buddys who was killed a few years ago, had a 72 mustang that would walk away from a srt4 like it was standing still. thats with the timing off a few degrees, and not running right. if you want to beat a v8 get a v8 simple as that.

Quick Reply: What would it take for me to...