Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What would be better 00 si or 96 hatch?????????

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What would be better 00 si or 96 hatch?????????

ok I have a question I would like some honest feedback about. We have been discussing at work some setup options on hondas and want to know what would be better.

ok if you took a 99 or 00 si and put a built/sleeved h22 setup with turbo would it be better than a 96-99 hatch with a b18c built/sleeved turbo?

ok All components being the same and using good parts, like mahle pistons, eagle rods, precision turbo, etc.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What would be better 00 si or 96 hatch????????? (ccarey)

you have to be more specific about what you want it to be better at. is it going to be a dd, track/drag? if your planning on making it a dd, id go b18 just for better mpgs and also an h22 swap is alot harder then a b18 swap
Old 03-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why do you need someone to tell you what to buy. They're two completely different body styles and both are sick. Hatchs are lighter obviously. And either one of those engine setups would make more power than you'd ever need but obviously b-series are a plug and play drop in and H's take modification and are very heavy. This is a dumb question I'm sorry.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would be better 00 si or 96 hatch????????? (SirRevvs)

Well I dont consider it a dumb question because I have an 00 si with an h22 turbo setup running 375 hp as a daily driver but can be used as a track car no doubt and no it's not much heavier because we weighed both motors after each build and the h22 weighed 30lbs more.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when it comes down to it the displacement can mean alot is partial key. We both built our motors up and we both drive our cars daily. Well I say we do, I do but his motor is out because his car and engine bay is being painted so we will find out soon enough
Old 03-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here is my car and here is my setup. disregard the for sale because it no longer is for sale

http://www.hondamarketplace.co...35027
Old 03-27-2008, 07:56 PM

i really don't understand the point of this question? if you and your have these built cars.... why are you asking?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would be better 00 si or 96 hatch????????? (nicks-eg6)

sometimes an outside opinions from other people is nice. Is that a crime? Also, I considered pulling my h22 and dropping a b18 in my coupe but not if it's not much power difference to be honest with you. I've never had a b18 nor been in a car with one. Been in several b16's and ls/vtec and I wasn't as pleased with them as I thought I would be
Old 03-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would be better 00 si or 96 hatch????????? (nicks-eg6)

Its a very dumb question there's too many variables. ME, MYSELF, AND I, would choose the hatch with the b-series because that would be my preference. The Si is obviously worth more, but H-motors in civic chassis have too much understeer for my taste. Love the H engine though, me and her have had some great diag times. What other mods are done to the car? colors? condition? title status? interior? jdm parts? a/c? there's way too many factors. At least if you posted pics you could get some sort of good response.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i did. There is a link with all the info you need, go back up and look.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If they're both fully built and tuned like you say they are, I'd say they could make the same power easily with a good tune.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ccarey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i did. There is a link with all the info you need, go back up and look. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Checked out link, got to hand it to ya that's one clean *** sick *** si. It's beautiful why do you want to sell it? It has all the right parts and its tuned. That would have to be a super sick 10/10 hatch for me to even consider it. Got a link to the other car?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats what I was wondering because I was told that the b series overall would not make as much power nor would hold up as well in the long run but that I do not no. And if I ever sell this and look for something else or trade this off for something then I would like for it to be at least equal to what I am owning or more
Old 03-27-2008, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no I sure don't sorry, he has it in the shop being painted. I cant wait till it gets out. It's a 97 cx with a b18c
Old 03-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well I was gonna sell it to buy a hatch. Everyone told me I was crazy for going with the si because it and the motor were to heavy, but of course I like to be different and prove those who don't believe wrong. I love my si really and truly so now I am pulling the motor and we are gonna finish building it out right and go for 550hp
Old 03-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would say H-Series are more prone to haveing problems, but if its built and you've put it to the test and it still runs great then its a good engine. B-Series IMO may have less displacement but can take way more abuse in the long run. Who built the b-series in the hatch? Who tuned it? What kind of turbo setup is he running? These are all q's you have to ask yourself. You know your car was done right and runs good, but you haven't been over the other car or put it together. I would stick with your car. Both engines are great but you know what your has been through know what im sayin?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There are suspension mods you can do to your car too, that can make it handle better. So look into that. An SI will hold its value alot longer and like you said your setup can easily make 550 hp which is rediculous in anyhting. Any more power than that and its not usable it's just wheel spin. For a daily you got a sick whip man. Do some suspension work to it and you'll be very happy.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah your right. Both motors are built about the same. Few differences. I have the precision turbo and he is running the garrett gt35r turbo. I guess I just see so many hatches around and they look great if the are built right, but I love my coupe. Ha Ha your right about the problems with the H but it hasn't been the motor it's been the little routine things that kill it ha ha, but I don't drive this car daily even though I can because I didn't want to tear it up. I cost to much to run it in the ground and I have more respect for it than that
Old 03-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what do you recommend for suspension. I would like for it to handle better
Old 03-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Research hybrid suspensions, or call a company like eibach and ask them what their opinion on spring rates and such are for front and rear, with the engine application your running. They have alot of experience with Honda's. I would go with a full coilover setup like the tein super street. It's pricey but worth its weight for adjustability. Also get some traction bars and upgrade your sway bars and bushings. obviously you need a tight setup in the front to compensate for the weight and something you can maybe set soft in the rear to add a little uversteer to the back. Upgrade your brakes to type r or something with a little more bight and look into some good pads and rotors. And there is a company that makes an adjustable brake sytem proportioning valve for Honda which could also help alot in cornering. Give the rear a little more bite than factory and a little less in the front.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey i appreaciate all the help and I will certaintly start looking at alot of these options. Ha Ha did you think at first I had a car that was a joke? I guess I should have asked a better question I'll agree
Old 03-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ccarey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey i appreaciate all the help and I will certaintly start looking at alot of these options. Ha Ha did you think at first I had a car that was a joke? I guess I should have asked a better question I'll agree</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly yeah I thought you had a dumpster, but you've obviously spent some mad cheese, especially if you didn't do the work. Still a dumb thread but I'm glad I could help. DON'T DO IT!!!!!
Old 03-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well my down fall is yes I am some what new with the built hondas. Not hondas in general but built ones and this is a female owned car so I am sure thats unusual. lol
Old 03-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ccarey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well my down fall is yes I am some what new with the built hondas. Not hondas in general but built ones and this is a female owned car so I am sure thats unusual. lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pardon my vulgar description, but if you're a girl and I saw you driving that, I might get so hard I'd bust a hole in my britches.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck with the ride and keep it locked up and secure. A thief could smell that car a mile away.

Quick Reply: What would be better 00 si or 96 hatch?????????