Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What and where is my thermoswitch????

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What and where is my thermoswitch????

yes yes ive searched it already but noone answers the question. Im wondering cuz since the swap went in the fan dont turn on..... but the fan does work cuz i shorted out the relay and it turns on. Any other ideas?? does it have a wire going to it or what?

*edit* oops i forgot, its a 96 civic w/99gsr.

[Modified by MrPimpon, 12:34 PM 3/5/2002]
Old 03-05-2002, 11:24 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: What and where is my thermoswitch???? (MrPimpon)

Do you know where your thermostat housing is? It should be where the lower radiator hose hits the block. The thermo switch is right there in the thermostat housing.

Your thermo switch will have the green and the black wires - 2 different wires, not one green/black wire - going to the switch. To test it, unplug the plug from the thermo switch. then jump the plug off by looping a paper clip and then the fans *should* come on if it's a bad switch.

Fell the hoses after the car has been running and if the top one is hot, but the lower one is cool, then you need a thermostat. This will cause the fans to stay off as well.

Before you do all that, make sure you don't have any bubbles in the system. Try getting a big funnel and just keep filling it up while it's running, then let it cool back down ans suck the fluid back in. All the while keep squeezing on the hoses to get any air out of them.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-05-2002, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What and where is my thermoswitch???? (B18C5-EH2)

Well first of all i want to thank you since you are one of the only people on here that actually try's to help people out. I must say, lately its been all pathetic jibber-jabber.

Anyways so i know where my thermostat is (sorry but im @ work & not infront of my car so ill try to picture it) and there is only one wire that looks like to be a ground wire. It sits on top of my thermostat housing. Is this the thermo-switch thingamajiger? There is no connection other than that wire that has a screw that goes through it, im guessing to ground it out right? But wait a min. is that whats supposed to be the ground for the alternator?? ps i have my alterator grounded through an extra wire just running straight to the chasis. Or does the wiring harness provide it, and this is actually the one im supposed to use?? damn i got confused.

I just dont remember seeing no "PLUG" on or next to my thermostat

or are you saying its inside the thermostat??
sorry for the confusing grammer.
Old 03-05-2002, 02:05 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: What and where is my thermoswitch???? (MrPimpon)

The housing that the thermostat sits in should also house the thermo switch too. As stated above, there should be 2 wires - one green, one black, going to the plug for the switch. It's very easy to overlook or kind of misreplay **** in your head if it's not in front of you, but I double-checked on my motor here in front of me, and that's xactly how it should be for you too.

Good luck!