Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What is the way to replace hose under the distributor

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 06:00 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 What is the way to replace hose under the distributor

I have been working on my 00' civic now for about two days. It broke down on me a few days ago while I was pulling of the interstate for gas. Initially, I thought it had run out of gas but not so sure anymore. When I got some gas in the car it would not start, turned over just fine but wasn't getting any spark. The heat gauge was at the top which was strange because steam was not rising from the hood at all. But it makes sense now because there is an obvious leak in a hose that runs from the firewall to the engine block while passing underneath the distributor. I don't know the best way to fix this hose it is almost but not totally, impossible to get at, and I don't want to mess up my timing by removing the dizzy.

Also, I got the car home and it still wouldn't start. I replace a badly burned out dist. coil and it caught spark. New PLUG WIRES, clean DIST CAP, 150 psi on all 4 cylinders, and checked the main relay. All that did some good I'm sure, the car is running somewhat, but the timing is off and the idle is messed up (starting out at 1500 working its way down to 190 at times).
I took it around the block and it acted like it was flooding on me at a stop sign (my engine stalled). My Fuel pump is coming on and I my injectors seem to be OK all reading about 12.1. Also, the CEL flashes after the car has been running for 8-15 seconds that does not stop, checking it today after work.

Any help would be appreciated?

Last edited by copycat; 08-11-2011 at 06:10 AM. Reason: content
Old 08-11-2011, 06:04 AM
20% cooler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What is the way to replace hose under the distributor

Get your hands on a shop manual. It will tell you exactly how to do it. I wouldn't be driving it like that though man, if you over heat an engine you can do some VERY serious damage.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:20 AM
Trial User

Not driving the car. I filled up the radiator before I took it on that test drive around the block. I haven't driven it since. Yeah, a shop manual would be helpful. I will get one soon.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know the part number of this hose? i need to replace mine on my 98 EX. I can't find it online. It's the hose that the OP is talking about that goes under the distrib back to the firewall.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a heater hose. Go to Honda dealer they are very reasonable price (cheaper than autoparts place!) and best fit/quality. They will get the right hose for you. You will be very proud of the hose in the Honda OEM bag. You may want to remove the old hose first and take it with you. You may want to invest in new hose clamps.

Drain about a gallon of coolant from the radiator into a clean container. You can pour it back in after.

Be careful removing the hose as the heater core pipes coming out of the firewall are very fragile and the hose tends to be stuck on there like glue. If you try to grab it with pliers you will crush the heater core pipes and hate yourself and want to die.

It also tends to be glued onto the block fitting under the distributor.

Your best bet is to get a sharp razor utility knife and carefully cut a lengthwise slit from the end of the hose about 2 inches past the fitting. Try not to cut your flesh or any nearby components. Cutting your flesh and driving to the emergency room for sutures is surprisingly easy. Then you can pry/peel the old hose off the fittings easier. Throw away the old hose. Gently clean up the fittings and install the new hose. Put the hose clamps on/over the hose before installing. A little lube will help the hose slide on the fittings easier (preferably silicone grease).

The two most important systems in your engine are cooling and lubrication.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you need to take off the dizzy, just mark the top to the bolt and take off carefully, timing should be ok, unless your timing is off now anyway.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had this problem when i went on a very long trip. long story short, went to oreily's and bought the hose in bulk, 20 in. IIRC, for like a buck something. since there is no real bend in it like the bypass hose it can just be put on with no problems. saved me a mugging from the stealership. also went this route because there wasnt one anywhere near me.

also i just unplugged the plugs that are in that area and used some long needle nose pliers to get the clamp off. if its in the position of where the plier wont get it(tabs are vertical) try to turn it little by little(towards the firewall) while squeezing the clamp as much as you can to get it horizontal. it should come off easily now. hope it helps.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that hose always blows out. i had the side bust out of mine while on I95. had to cut maybe 3 inches off and reattached it and fixed. but its always best to have good hoses it sucks when one blows.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
that hose always blows out. i had the side bust out of mine while on I95. had to cut maybe 3 inches off and reattached it and fixed. but its always best to have good hoses it sucks when one blows.
i did this exact same thing to get back on the road to reach the parts store. i was stranded on I15 in no mans land, good thing i was prepared and had a brand spanking new coolant bottle in the trunk to replace all the lost coolant.