Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what is the value of my car in your eyes???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the value of my car in your eyes???

ok, so everytime i try to do something positive my car kicks me in the ***** and im getting tired of it. im heavily contemplating selling it and am trying to get a view of the market value of it. i truly dont want to sell it, but i wont be able to drive it until april, so why let it sit in my garage making me mad/sad everyday i walk past it. anyhow onto the car.
-1995 honda civic dx model
-clean title
-i am the second owner, first owner was a women who bought the car new in 96
-black paint, minor scratches on the roof and hood
-one dent on the passenger side fender from me leaning on it too hard
-186xxx on chassis, 152xxx on b16
-recent tune-up
-good tires (2 cooper tires on the rear purchased in november, 1 tire purchased in january forgot the name), 1 michelin tire that was put on the car march 2009)
-hawk pads and new rotors installed about 3 months ago
-slightly lowered (cheaped out with d2 springs)
-tinted windows
-oem black interior with oem black floor mats "civic" stamped on the fronts
-rust free
-garage kept
-clutch/flywheel/pressure plate only about 4 months old
-honda mtf
-synthetic oil used for the past 40k that i know of
-3rd gear tranny grind above 7500
-del sol basemap, redline set at 7800 (obd1 p72)
-cd changer (oem i believe)
-decent speakers front and rear
-a/c not functional right now because of swap, but all components aside from a/c bracket present and usable

will add pictures for true value assessment, please dont hold back on harsh comments, but please stay on topic.

edit, pics taken with my cell phone and car is dirty:

intake is on top of car, un-pictured but present

driver side front

passenger front

interior front

passenger seat

shot of tint (20% according to the place it was tinted at)

passenger rear

drivers seat (notice the almost non-existent bolster wear)

rear interior (sorry for all the **** in the pic, but seats are clean underneath)

driver rear

my "d1 anti-ballers"

"2dr passenger"

a/c components

the dent, worst part about the car, imho

Last edited by 300whpej; 02-13-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what is the value of my car in your eyes???

what's the body style? what's wrong with it?
Old 02-13-2010, 12:02 PM
pm for noodz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is thread sucks without pictures.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmwannabee
what's the body style? what's wrong with it?
coupe, fuel issue right now, but will be corrected if i end up having to sell it
Originally Posted by turboteg90
this is thread sucks without pictures.
uploading to photobucket now
Old 02-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pics up
Old 02-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im going to say 2500 at the most.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, thats what im hoping for honestly. care to elaborate on things that turn you away, or catch your eye?
Old 02-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would say the steelies
Old 02-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by masterEF
i would say the steelies
umm im lost as to what you mean?

anyother opinions whether good or bad. trying to gauge whether to let it sit in the garage for a month or try to sell/trade it for something else.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 300whpej
care to elaborate on things that turn you away, or catch your eye?
Originally Posted by masterEF
i would say the steelies
umm im lost as to what you mean?
The stock steel rims.

I would have to say, because I'm not there in person to see it, I think it's worth $1500-$2500.

Things that are important to me are:

◕ Body is not too dinged up or rusty (yours looks pretty good)

◕ Interior is in good shape, carpet and upholstrey are decent and no bad smell (yours look dirtys and upholstrey looks rough)

◕ Engine and running gear are good to go (can't tell)

/02¢
Old 02-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mcvtec
The stock steel rims.

I would have to say, because I'm not there in person to see it, I think it's worth $1500-$2500.

Things that are important to me are:

◕ Body is not too dinged up or rusty (yours looks pretty good)

◕ Interior is in good shape, carpet and upholstrey are decent and no bad smell (yours look dirtys and upholstrey looks rough)

◕ Engine and running gear are good to go (can't tell)

/02¢
ok, thanks. i was confused about whether the steelies were a positive or negative thing him, and was asking another person what was good/bad to them. car will be cleaned and photos will be taken using my actual camera not my phone. car is clean (carpet wise) and smell free lol
Old 02-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's good you're being realistic about the price. A lot of kids think if they drop in a B16 it ups the value. Really not true, for the most part anyway.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:34 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd really suggest you clean the car up as best as you possibly can and then ask us again. Oh, and try taking a few photos of the entire car. The pictures you have posted up are just very random, bad photos.

Remember we're not there, so we can't tell how the car looks as a whole.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I say 3k at the most... you figure modifying will lower the value unless you fine some1 who wants what you have. But you figure a legit swap like at HMO a b16 runs for like 2k.. Rims are no biggie.. you can buy some hx's for like 200 give or take
Old 02-13-2010, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Id pay, at most, 2500. But even then I won't be completely happy with the buy. 40k on sythetic oil?
Old 02-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not hating... 152 K on swap, tranny grinds. Its near being a shell. Your pics are bad so I may be +or_ a couple hundred but I think 1500-1800 is what its worth.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Steelies, few dents and scratches, issues with it not running, dirty interior, trans grinds, high miles on a b16 with unknown condition $1000 tops. Oh and I'm sick of whats my car worth threads its getting old. You know what you have in to it just flippin sell it for what you think is fair. Or better yet I'll give you $321.39 right now delivered.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I say 1200 for your car,,, Its a dx with no pw pl, its sitting on ugly azz steelies,, who cares if you got mint condition 13 tires on it,, r u serious?? to make it worst,, you dont have ac in the car,,, Its around $100 for a P54 ac bracket or a crv ac bracket,, just makes me think,, what else is he skimping on in this swap??? Cars high miles with super dirty interior,, and trust me,, the stock dx interior is nothing to show off about either.. if you ask me.. I would really have to drive the car and make sure it runs in tip top condition before even handling over the $1200.. If you ask me,, spend the money on a used Ac bracket and look on craigslist for a $200 set of hammers or ls meshies or si with tires, spend the $10 for a good interior carpet cleaner and scrub.. You'll probably get $2500-3000 for the car with the right buyer. A dx with no ac, no pst is a big no no in my opinion... its already bad enough with no pwr window and locks....
Old 02-14-2010, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX
I'd really suggest you clean the car up as best as you possibly can and then ask us again. Oh, and try taking a few photos of the entire car. The pictures you have posted up are just very random, bad photos.

Remember we're not there, so we can't tell how the car looks as a whole.
car will be cleaned inside and out before selling for sure, i was trying to get a feel of value spur of the moment and rushed out with my cell phone.
Originally Posted by es01civy
I say 3k at the most... you figure modifying will lower the value unless you fine some1 who wants what you have. But you figure a legit swap like at HMO a b16 runs for like 2k.. Rims are no biggie.. you can buy some hx's for like 200 give or take
yea i understand what holds value in my eyes might take away from value in someone else's. i havent been worried about getting any wheels since theres nothing wrong with the steelies other than being steelies.
Originally Posted by Hanmin
Id pay, at most, 2500. But even then I won't be completely happy with the buy. 40k on sythetic oil?
ok, i would be shooting for mid 2k offers, but whats wrong with the synthetic oil? it has run on it for the past year and some change that i know of any doesnt burn/leak/drink oil in the slightest.
Originally Posted by rycrkt
Not hating... 152 K on swap, tranny grinds. Its near being a shell. Your pics are bad so I may be +or_ a couple hundred but I think 1500-1800 is what its worth.
thanks for your input. the mileage is fairly low for my area and the notorious 3rd gear b16 tranny grind is only if you were to beat on it (grinds above 7500). the car has a slight and i mean slight issue with fuel causing it to throw the code 43 cel and is being repaired now, how does that make this car a shell?
Originally Posted by 4gen5thtime
Steelies, few dents and scratches, issues with it not running, dirty interior, trans grinds, high miles on a b16 with unknown condition $1000 tops. Oh and I'm sick of whats my car worth threads its getting old. You know what you have in to it just flippin sell it for what you think is fair. Or better yet I'll give you $321.39 right now delivered.
im sorry youre sick of these threads, then again i didnt force you or anyone for that matter to read and respond. i was/am simply looking for a wholeistic (sp?) market value and figured honda tech being a worldwide site would give me a pretty good idea of the good and bad about my car.
Originally Posted by B16aEk4drbeater
I say 1200 for your car,,, Its a dx with no pw pl, its sitting on ugly azz steelies,, who cares if you got mint condition 13 tires on it,, r u serious?? to make it worst,, you dont have ac in the car,,, Its around $100 for a P54 ac bracket or a crv ac bracket,, just makes me think,, what else is he skimping on in this swap??? Cars high miles with super dirty interior,, and trust me,, the stock dx interior is nothing to show off about either.. if you ask me.. I would really have to drive the car and make sure it runs in tip top condition before even handling over the $1200.. If you ask me,, spend the money on a used Ac bracket and look on craigslist for a $200 set of hammers or ls meshies or si with tires, spend the $10 for a good interior carpet cleaner and scrub.. You'll probably get $2500-3000 for the car with the right buyer. A dx with no ac, no pst is a big no no in my opinion... its already bad enough with no pwr window and locks....
a/c is something im prepared to get operational whether is sold or kept. i didnt stress getting the bracket from honda/junkyard/hasport because the swap was done during the time where we struggled to break 30*. nothing else was skimped on motor wise or mechanically. i wont be going through the hassle of finding new wheels and putting good tires on them to sell a car, i'll keep it and let it sit on jackstands until april before i **** money away like that. powersteering hasnt affected my driving of the car and i havent owned a car with powersteering in almost 4 years so its not even a factor to me. thanks for your (and others) insight anyhow.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for your input. the mileage is fairly low for my area and the notorious 3rd gear b16 tranny grind is only if you were to beat on it (grinds above 7500). the car has a slight and i mean slight issue with fuel causing it to throw the code 43 cel and is being repaired now, how does that make this car a shell?
Not hating, maybe bragging. I own two very clean EGs. I'm the first owner of my 94 Si and I know everything about that car. Its immaculate. I couldn't have a CEL or even a door ding. Its my hard parker. I'm the 2nd owner of my 93 CX, I bought it with 64K. Same thing, I want it to be right within reason. Its a daily. Not flawless but very clean with no issues. When I buy a car I figure in what it would take to make it right.
Again, not hating on your car but I drive these little cars by choice cuz I think they are cool. Not because I'm broke. If I'm gonna buy a car like yours for one of my kids to drive I would go through everything so I would not worry that a ball joint is gonna break or the synchros are bad.
So you should just scrap it! LOL Just kidding. Good Luck when you decide to sell!
Old 02-14-2010, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rycrkt
Not hating, maybe bragging. I own two very clean EGs. I'm the first owner of my 94 Si and I know everything about that car. Its immaculate. I couldn't have a CEL or even a door ding. Its my hard parker. I'm the 2nd owner of my 93 CX, I bought it with 64K. Same thing, I want it to be right within reason. Its a daily. Not flawless but very clean with no issues. When I buy a car I figure in what it would take to make it right.
Again, not hating on your car but I drive these little cars by choice cuz I think they are cool. Not because I'm broke. If I'm gonna buy a car like yours for one of my kids to drive I would go through everything so I would not worry that a ball joint is gonna break or the synchros are bad.
So you should just scrap it! LOL Just kidding. Good Luck when you decide to sell!
ok thanks for elaborating on your reasoning. i have put this up on a semi-local site and have been told that i would be lucky to get 1200, first offer over a grand take it and run, the car is old so its not worth more than 800-1000, etc. im just looking to get an overall view of the pros and cons of my car.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

2k-2500
Old 02-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if i were to come out and check it out and if your car looked immaculant and running in good condition, i would give $2000 for it. old car or not, its still a great all around car.

hey what i did for that code 43 was changed out the o2 sensor and it went away. but if you already did that and the fuel pump and filter then it can possibly be a bad ecu too. well as far as googling it out thats all that i have found.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ever heard of kelley blue book? get a price for a fair shaped delsol vtec, drop it a few hundred and there's your selling price.

http://www.kbb.com/kbb/UsedCars/Pric...uizConditions=
Old 02-14-2010, 10:49 AM
pm for noodz

ill buy that stereo from you.

Quick Reply: what is the value of my car in your eyes???