Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What type of Engine can i legitly place in my 96 Civic HB DX

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of Engine can i legitly place in my 96 Civic HB DX

Yeah..i'm a noob. I used the Search engine and couldn't find any related topics. I have no idea what to do with my engine. I've been told by others to stick a B18 in there. I'm told thats a GSR engine. I'm also told that it wouldn't pass smog cuz its DOHC, I want to put the best engine for this car, that's not overly expensive but has power to it. After i figure out what engine to put in i want to either Turbo or Supercharge it. I have a friend who's willing to swap it for me, he offered me a GSR JDM Engine with the Chip and all the stuff that goes with it. Since yall are the experts here. Could anyone lend me a hand

(I live in Hemet. if that helps you all understand the condition i'm in.if not , this town isn't know for Hondas. )
Old 10-07-2003, 01:26 PM

there are several engines you could put in it, but if you want to turbo it and not spend a lot of money i would get a b18b (LS motor) and then turbo it becuase you can run more boost and not built the engine. if you got a b18c then you'll have a better engine though......how much is that guy going to charge u for that complete swap though? by chip do u mean ECU (computer)?
Old 10-07-2003, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (EG UNIT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG UNIT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there are several engines you could put in it, but if you want to turbo it and not spend a lot of money i would get a b18b (LS motor) and then turbo it becuase you can run more boost and not built the engine. if you got a b18c then you'll have a better engine though......how much is that guy going to charge u for that complete swap though? by chip do u mean ECU (computer)?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrong. Nothing about an LS motor enables you to run more boost on it without building it compared to a GSR motor. You're stupid.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:28 PM

Default Re: What type of Engine can i legitly place in my 96 Civic HB DX (ZRahman)

i think to be legit you just have to put a same year or newer motor. i could be wrong. a gsr motor is a b18c. you could put this in your car and have a lot of fun
Old 10-07-2003, 01:30 PM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: What type of Engine can i legitly place in my 96 Civic HB DX (JICEK9)

i think it has to be the same OBD or higher. as for you, you can only get obd-2 legally put in (96+)
Old 10-07-2003, 01:33 PM

Default Re: (EG UNIT)

Yeah i mean the ECU, He's sayin $3000 total engine b18c included. But he's gonna do it in his garage and in a day.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ZRahman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ZRahman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah i mean the ECU, He's sayin $3000 total engine b18c included. But he's gonna do it in his garage and in a day. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If everything is straight with it, then yes, thats a good deal.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:36 PM

Default Re: (VTEC-DA)

The Engine being JDM won't effect anything?
I've heard that JDM engines are harder to smog.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont live in CA, so I dont know the details. I do know however, that there are people on this board who legally have JDM GSR motors in their Civics. As far as how its done, you gotta talk to them.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:43 PM

Then i hope they reply to my post, Thanks you've been a big help.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:58 PM

i'm not trying to get into a pissing contest here but i'm not wrong. LS motors have lower compression and therefore you can run more boost on a bone stock motor. go run 12lbs on your bone stock b18c1 and call me when you blow it!
Old 10-08-2003, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EG-UNIT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG-UNIT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm not trying to get into a pissing contest here but i'm not wrong. LS motors have lower compression and therefore you can run more boost on a bone stock motor. go run 12lbs on your bone stock b18c1 and call me when you blow it! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats why there is this thing called tuning.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTEC-DA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats why there is this thing called tuning.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Seriously...these people just expect to drop in a turbo kit and run 10 psi on stock internals. Whoever said that the motors had to be the same year or newer was correct.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:59 AM

tune an LS and tune a gs-r motor.....u cant safely run as much boost on the gs-r period. i would never not tune my motor, and not only that, i would have tony palo tune it because its so important. yeah a tuned gs-r could run more than an untuned gs-r, but it doesnt make up for the fact, that for a cheaper application LS can run more boost. if you are talking about serious hp and serious boost the b18c, c1, and c5 are all better, but they take a little bit more money to do that. haha i just assumed that u knew i was talking about a tuned motor because i didnt know people even got turbos w/o driving them straight to a dyno to have their hondata tuned (hondata i say because nothing else should be considered)
Old 10-08-2003, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can but and B (except the b20z), D, H, or F series motor, that is the same year or newer, now if you get a 99 motor you have to run obdIIb. you can not run the b20z because it is a 'truck' motor, and most likely when you boost youre car it will not be smog legall, unless you go with a greddy kit which is too expenisive for what it does but i guess if you want smog legall you can do it
Old 10-08-2003, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CR is not even an issue comparing a gsr and ls motor went it comes to tuning (which is always the key) to make more hp . My friends build b18c5 2.0l is running 10.1CR and is expected to make at least 450whp at 15psi , which tuning will be the key.
Theres a guy trying to run 13.5CR on a jrsc on race gas , i know that may be a bit extreme but thats his goal .
As for smog wise as long as the motor is the same year of the chasis or newer , and also you have all of the smog equipment that is required for that year , same goes for a j- spec motor as long as you have everything that is required for that year .So no running that j- spec motor on OBD1 , for that year OBD2 is required . An if you plan to turbo then i would look for one that is 50 state legal .
Old 10-08-2003, 10:24 AM

sorry i forgot about the point at hand. 3000 for a b18c installed is unbeatable in my book, i'd do it in a second
Old 10-08-2003, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

96 hatchie eh? Well anything same year or newer. Besides the infamous b20s dammit No ls or b20 Vtecs. b16a2, b18c1 or 5. b18b, d16y8 are my guess
Old 10-08-2003, 10:43 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG-UNIT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tune an LS and tune a gs-r motor.....u cant safely run as much boost on the gs-r period. i would never not tune my motor, and not only that, i would have tony palo tune it because its so important. yeah a tuned gs-r could run more than an untuned gs-r, but it doesnt make up for the fact, that for a cheaper application LS can run more boost. if you are talking about serious hp and serious boost the b18c, c1, and c5 are all better, but they take a little bit more money to do that. haha i just assumed that u knew i was talking about a tuned motor because i didnt know people even got turbos w/o driving them straight to a dyno to have their hondata tuned (hondata i say because nothing else should be considered)</TD></TR></TABLE>

you're forgetting the fact that the B18C rods and piston's are much stronger than LS rods and pistons because they are made to withstand higher revs. and the compression ratio only means you can run more boost, but that doesnt necissarily mean you will be making more power.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ZRahman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Then i hope they reply to my post, Thanks you've been a big help.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hello.
The engine must be same year or newer to the chasis. The JDM engine must have you a USDM ECU (and proof that the ECU is for that engine), and any parts that are smog equipment for the chasis that the engine came from.

If the JDM exhaust manifold is different than the USDM then you need a USDM one. The B18C-Rs have a different exhaust manifold but I am unsure about the B18Cs.

You could just get an aftermarket header with CARB EO numbers and that would solve your problem.

To answer your original question, the engine must be same year or newer, be made my Honda and used in the states, and come from a vehicle in the same smog class as yours.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:08 AM

no i know ur right on that. more boost on an LS wont make up for the hp difference, but i'm saying for the price, u can run a stock LS w/ 12lbs and put down like 270whp, 235 torque with a good tuning job. i just figure u can run 12lbs on a b18b and 9 on a b18c. hp on the b18c will still be higher slightly, but torque would be lower. in the end the b18c is a much better motor, but for the price and becasue i'm working on my first setup, i'm getting an LS
Old 10-08-2003, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Spade)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You could just get an aftermarket header with CARB EO numbers and that would solve your problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't even do that. I've heard of too many people having trouble with refs and smog guys even if the header has a carb number on it. Imo, you're flirting with danger if you walk in with one of those.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What type of Engine can i legitly place in my 96 Civic HB DX (ZRahman)

if money is an isue go with the boosted sohc vtec. For that $3000 you could build a badass turbo d series. It may not have as much potential as a b18c1 swap, but it will initially be faster for the same price.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG-UNIT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no i know ur right on that. more boost on an LS wont make up for the hp difference, but i'm saying for the price, u can run a stock LS w/ 12lbs and put down like 270whp, 235 torque with a good tuning job. i just figure u can run 12lbs on a b18b and 9 on a b18c. hp on the b18c will still be higher slightly, but torque would be lower. in the end the b18c is a much better motor, but for the price and becasue i'm working on my first setup, i'm getting an LS</TD></TR></TABLE>

What are you talking about? You're saying that even properly tuned, you can run more boost on a stock b18a/b than on a GSR? Sorry dude, but you are still wrong. Nothing about the LS lets you run more boost on it, period. So what if the CR is a little lower, GSR internals, namely rods, are stronger than LS rods. You CAN run the same amount of boost on a stock GSR as you can on a stock LS. Period.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Fowler)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fowler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I wouldn't even do that. I've heard of too many people having trouble with refs and smog guys even if the header has a carb number on it. Imo, you're flirting with danger if you walk in with one of those.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Refs no, smog guys yes.

The REFS have an up to date data base....the only problem is if you buy a GSR header and put it on a B16 in your EG. Even though it fits and is legal on a B18C1, it isn't on a B16. LoL.....the check part numbers then the EO numbers.