Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what to tell new insurance company.......need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to tell new insurance company.......need help ASAP

please give me some answers, i am definitly planning on telling them about an aftermarket stereo, and intake and exhaust i guess, and the drop too,

what about the swap???? will i be kicking myself in the *** if i tell them i have a swap...or more so if i don't.

by the way i need to start my new insurance plan by thursday so i need these answers asap.
thanks.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:52 PM

Default Re: what to tell new insurance company.......need help ASAP (DanielLaruso)

help me out
Old 04-07-2003, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what to tell new insurance company.......need help ASAP (DanielLaruso)

You don't have to tell them. Call and get some estimates, try other companies too for comparisons.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:56 PM
crs

there was a thread like this not too long ago. i think it was mentioned that you should tell your insurance-its like 30 bucks more a year? not too sure. yeah, you dont have to tell them,theyll just cover for whatever car you have, but then you have no coverage for your motor if anything happens. i mean, youre telling them about your stereo and drop so why not tell them about the motor and get it covered?

[Modified by crs, 7:58 PM 4/7/2003]
Old 04-07-2003, 06:58 PM

Default Re: what to tell new insurance company.......need help ASAP (crs)

Just pay the extra 30-100 dollars a year and know that if anything happens your set. Don't cheap out now after all the work im sure you have done.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:59 PM

Default Re: what to tell new insurance company.......need help ASAP (crs)

i heard that if i don't tell them, and i get in an accident, i can get sued b/c i could have been going faster b/c i had a bigger engine......is this considered insurance fraud???
Old 04-07-2003, 07:00 PM

got any names of the company you are talkin about??? 30-200 would be worth it to me too
Old 04-07-2003, 07:05 PM

bump i want to know too
Old 04-07-2003, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i can get sued b/c i could have been going faster b/c i had a bigger engine......is this considered insurance fraud???
Please hit whoever told you that...
Old 04-07-2003, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what to tell new insurance company.......need help ASAP (t0p_sh0tta)

i was told nto to tell the insurance company cuz honda motors are not expensive..
Old 04-07-2003, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what to tell new insurance company.......need help ASAP (nocaryet)

Okay, what insurance company are you going with? I work for State Farm, and I can tell you from experience and from what I am doing for my car, just keep all your records for all your parts and if possible take as many pics before and after you install parts into your car. As long as you have documentation State Farm will cover you for whatever equipment you have in your car. Now don't start asking me for quotes, I deal mostly with commercial insurance, businesses, condominium associations and apartments. but I work very closely with our auto people and this is what I am doing with my own car. I have a large file of JUST equipment I have installed in my car. State Farm is actually pretty good about customized cars, just beware, you will NEVER get back what you put in, you will get depreciated values after a loss. I hope this helps in your decision...
Old 04-07-2003, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what to tell new insurance company.......need help ASAP (RSZero1)

well said rszero
Old 04-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what to tell new insurance company.......need help ASAP (blackhatchy)

I have State Farm insurnace as well. I just bought my hatch and went to get insurance last week. I told the lady that I was upgrading the motor and was concerned about it since the car is high on the Most Stolen list. She told me to just keep all receipts and that my insurance would cover it.

BTW, you *do* need full coverage, but I guess you know that

Jon Black
Old 04-07-2003, 08:51 PM

Okay, what insurance company are you going with? I work for State Farm, and I can tell you from experience and from what I am doing for my car, just keep all your records for all your parts and if possible take as many pics before and after you install parts into your car. As long as you have documentation State Farm will cover you for whatever equipment you have in your car. Now don't start asking me for quotes, I deal mostly with commercial insurance, businesses, condominium associations and apartments. but I work very closely with our auto people and this is what I am doing with my own car. I have a large file of JUST equipment I have installed in my car. State Farm is actually pretty good about customized cars, just beware, you will NEVER get back what you put in, you will get depreciated values after a loss. I hope this helps in your decision...
good advice, but i would still consult your insurance company to make sure... i was sideswiped and i have a bunch of suspension work done to my car, aftermarket seats, rollbar ect.
the accident wasnt my fault and the other parties insurance company was thinking about totalling it, i had all my reciepts from my purchases and they would have paid me full price if they had, except for the tires i think, they would have depreciated. but instead they just fixed the car b/c it would have cost them alot, i sourced trailing arms from a dc2 and bout all new oem brake parts, so i basically got a brand new rear disk brake swap in the process
anyway if your car gets stolen they may pay you what you paid for the parts, but it probibly just depends on the companys policy...im going to stop rambling now, but you should still tell your insurance company about all your mods... if you get in accident that was your fault and you were speeding at all(god forbid, obviously) i could picture them blaming your swapped engine and not covering you... they will try ANYTHING they are ******* ******, all of them.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what to tell new insurance company.......need help ASAP (euclid)

good advice, but i would still consult your insurance company to make sure... i was sideswiped and i have a bunch of suspension work done to my car, aftermarket seats, rollbar ect.
the accident wasnt my fault and the other parties insurance company was thinking about totalling it, i had all my reciepts from my purchases and they would have paid me full price if they had, except for the tires i think, they would have depreciated. but instead they just fixed the car b/c it would have cost them alot, i sourced trailing arms from a dc2 and bout all new oem brake parts, so i basically got a brand new rear disk brake swap in the process
anyway if your car gets stolen they may pay you what you paid for the parts, but it probibly just depends on the companys policy...im going to stop rambling now, but you should still tell your insurance company about all your mods... if you get in accident that was your fault and you were speeding at all(god forbid, obviously) i could picture them blaming your swapped engine and not covering you... they will try ANYTHING they are ******* ******, all of them.
Okay the question is what should he tell HIS insurance company. You were hit and the OTHER guy's insurance was paying, so yes they will look at the lesser amount to be paid. ALL insurance companies reserve the right to "replace or repair" whichever is deemed appropriate, so yes unfortunately many companies go the cheap route. State Farm is one of the best companies for paying claims and insuring at replacement cost. Automotive claims are always depreciated, fact of insurance. Just document, document, document...you will be better off for it.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:08 PM

the answer is he should tell his insurance company everything... just because statefarm has a good reputation in an industry of ******* bastards doesnt mean they will just hand over 15k to you in the event of a claim. they will try to get out of it too, they care about the bottom line$$$. and if they dont raise his rates over a swap, fine, but at least they will have it on record that he reported it.

EDIT: try getting a claim from progressive or metlife... have fun

[Modified by euclid, 2:13 AM 4/8/2003]
Old 04-08-2003, 08:55 AM

Default Re: what to tell new insurance company.......need help ASAP (euclid)

hey thanks all...i have a state farm place literally TWO houses up from me, i think i might go up there today and see what they say, i appriciate all the posts. thanks
Old 04-08-2003, 09:01 AM

Well i have progressive....and have "custom parts coverage", so i ahve 4k o extra insurance for parts, cost me 120 a year....
Old 04-08-2003, 09:36 AM

Default Re: what to tell new insurance company.......need help ASAP (onefastex)

another quick question.....the car used to be an automatic....now its a 5 speed....how do i handle that?
Old 04-08-2003, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My buddies **** got robbed, never told the insurance co. anything about aftermarket parts before hand. He had 2 nitrous bottles robbed along with several other things. His insurance automatically covered everything that was bolted down. Anyone else ever heard of this?