Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What springs for even drop, quality?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What springs for even drop, quality?

I've searched like crazy and read about Eibachs not setting even, and things like back being too high, front being too high..... I need help deciding.
First off its for a 2000 Si, and I want a comfortable daily driver suspension with a safe drop (1.3-1.6 around there). I already have Koni yellows, so I am ready for the springs . I don't mind spending alittle money because I didn't skimp with the Koni's, and want high quality springs to match. What would be the ideal spring considering comfortable ride + EVEN drop and increased performace.
Thanks much in advance, and YES I did many, many, many searches, Everyone agrees with Koni yellow for the shocks, I just could'nt find exactly what I wanted with the spring info. Pics of 6th gen coupe with different springs would help too
Old 06-28-2002, 03:27 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: What springs for even drop, quality? (seano)

AS far as a full-length spring goes, I've always seen good even drops with the Neuspeed Race springs. They are the yellow ones, not the green.

Combined with the Konis you should have a nice handling Civic there.

They are inexpensive too - I'm thinking like $200 or maybe less on some website or something. List is like $220 or so, so if you look you'll find a deal I'm sure.

I'm sure that there are other springs out there that can do the same, but I've personally seen like 6 sets of Neuspeed Race springs on the 99-00 Civic Si and they all looked great.

*Warning*

You will probably need some sort of camber correction up front, which meanes spending another $200 or so on some adjustable upper A-arms up front and then another $50-$100 (my shop does this for $89.00) on an alignment with camber adjustment and shimming the rear.

Good luck.
Old 06-28-2002, 06:39 AM

Default Re: What springs for even drop, quality? (B18C5-EH2)

yeah, I've had great luck with the Neuspeed race springs, and the RS*R race springs.

both great stuff.

peaces.
Old 06-28-2002, 06:43 AM

Default Re: What springs for even drop, quality? (one.EG6)

I have H&R race springs which provide a drop of 2.5-3 inches in the front and anywhere from 2.25-2.5 in the rear and I have not had a single problem with them. I'm currently riding with stock shocks from '92 and the is way better than any other car my friends have that is lowered. I do not bottom out when going over a bumb at 20 mph. Its a great german quality product and they do warranty their products. Again, my opinion that have provided me with a great drop and quality ride would be the H&R springs. visit them at http://www.hrsprings.com/site/products/index.html

Old 06-28-2002, 10:37 AM

Default Re: What springs for even drop, quality? (GQ Cowboy)

Hey I appreciate the replies guys, thanks
But, I'm not looking for a 2.5-3" drop, something alittle more subtle.
Are the Neuspeed sofsports any good??
Old 06-28-2002, 11:59 AM
VTEC

Never had a problem with Eibachs. Compared to H&R and Neuspeed, Eibach's claim of 1" lowering for the Pro Kit was spot on. I did before and after measurements on two different Civics, and they were lowered 1" at all four corners. One of those Civics had Neuspeed Sports, and they were listed as 1.5" drop, when in actuality, it lowered a tad more than 2" in the front and 1" in the back, giving the car a rakish look that didn't look too good. And yes, the front springs were on the front and the rear springs were on the rear.

A set of H&R springs on a '93 Prelude had the rear lower than the front, and wasn't even close to the 1.5" drop claim.

So I guess it can go both ways...
Old 06-28-2002, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also check out the Comptech Sport springs. They are a high quality spring that lower about 1.5" all around. The good thing about them is that the spring rates are slightly higher on the driver's side in order to compensate for the typical Honda "lean." You get get these online new for about $170-180.

I have the Neuspeed SofSports on my Civic EX and I'm happy with them. After settling, it's about a 1.20" drop (similiar to a drop with ITR springs). For most, it's not low enough, but for me, it's fine. Slightly lower in front and no sqeeks.

I actually bought a set of used Comptechs to put on my Civic but never got around to install them. Good luck
Old 06-28-2002, 12:36 PM

Default Re: What springs for even drop, quality? (Pravo2)

Hey, thanks again for the replies , I think I will look into Comptech because I have always heard nothing but good comments on all of their products. Is the 1.5" lowering on the Comptechs for the Si? I have heard eibach uses the same 96-00 Civic springs for the Si, and since the b16 is heavier, the Si sits lower than the stated numbers.
Please posts pics and comments on Comptech springs.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:02 PM
YodaIsGod

Eibach Pro-Kit
although I have ITR springs on my 00 Si.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What springs for even drop, quality? (YodaIsGod)

Eibach Pro-Kit
although I have ITR springs on my 00 Si.
H&R sports as well

Eddie
Old 06-28-2002, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, thanks again for the replies , I think I will look into Comptech because I have always heard nothing but good comments on all of their products. Is the 1.5" lowering on the Comptechs for the Si? I have heard eibach uses the same 96-00 Civic springs for the Si, and since the b16 is heavier, the Si sits lower than the stated numbers.
Please posts pics and comments on Comptech springs.
Yes, the 1.5" figure is for the Si. It's a very nice drop and you don't need a front camber kit - maybe a few washers in the rear (fast and easy camber kit) but that's it. I may have some pics for you somewhere - I'll e-mail them to you
Old 06-28-2002, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Eibach Pro-Kit with KYB AGX shocks are my recommendation.
Old 06-28-2002, 10:38 PM

Default Re: What springs for even drop, quality? (B19CivicHB)

I already have the Koni's.
Pro-Kit was actually my first choice, I just heard alot of talk about uneven drops. I am leaning towards the Comptech springs now, I also read that they are nearly identical in design to the pro-kit.
Old 06-29-2002, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I already have the Koni's.
Pro-Kit was actually my first choice, I just heard alot of talk about uneven drops. I am leaning towards the Comptech springs now, I also read that they are nearly identical in design to the pro-kit.
I tried to e-mail you some pics of a Comptech Sport drop on an Si but it got sent back. Is your hotmail account having problems? Also, I have a set of Comptech Sport springs for sale (I have the SofSports and bought the Comptechs from another member, I just never installed them - decided to stick with SofSports). It's in its original box with the 'tags' on each spring. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 06-29-2002, 06:30 AM
BYT
Honda-Tech Member

as far as i know the comptech springs are just relabeled prokits...something you guys might wanna keep in mind when choosing between the two
Old 06-29-2002, 09:09 AM
New User

Default Re: What springs for even drop, quality? (BYT)

I think the Comptech springs are very good, and they do have slightly different rates on the driver side so that the drop looks even. I have Pro-Kit and though the drivers side looks lower, I love the way they handle and ride.
Old 06-29-2002, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What springs for even drop, quality? (B19CivicHB)

good cheap set up
Old 06-29-2002, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What springs for even drop, quality? (BYT)

as far as i know the comptech springs are just relabeled prokits...something you guys might wanna keep in mind when choosing between the two
This was true at one point, but not anymore. There was a discussion on this on CSI a while back so I just called Comptech and asked myself. They confirmed that they produce their own springs now.........
Old 06-29-2002, 11:29 AM

i have 1 1/4 inch drop on my sprint springs, no problem, the peoplewhom said they had problems probally just had blown out struts ..... eibach is a good name
Old 06-29-2002, 01:40 PM

I tried to e-mail you some pics of a Comptech Sport drop on an Si but it got sent back. Is your hotmail account having problems? Also, I have a set of Comptech Sport springs for sale (I have the SofSports and bought the Comptechs from another member, I just never installed them - decided to stick with SofSports). It's in its original box with the 'tags' on each spring. Let me know if you're interested.
Yea, I get 53,673,457 junk emails a day, and my account fills up daily I have almost given up on email, but I appreciate you trying to send the pictures I will empty my email account AGAIN today, so try resending them
Old 06-29-2002, 03:19 PM

i have the h&R sports springs
completely even clean drop around 1.75
ill sell it for 100 shipped!
Old 06-29-2002, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had Eibach Prokits w/Bilstein shocks on my 94 Si hatch and the drop was even and the ride was very smooth..almost like stock.
Old 06-29-2002, 06:16 PM
I said I don't want a title!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uneven drop looks silly IMO.

And, the only way you are assured to get an even drop is by getting a set of inexpensive sleeved coilovers. That way you can adjust until the drop is even. Plus, you can pick your springrates and you aren't stuck with the huge front bias 99.9% of the springs out there have.

If you are looking for a nice .5" drop or so, Type R springs are a good bet. Plus, they are far better than most of the aftermarket stuff out there as well. With the Konis, you have an option on which perch to run on, so with ITR springs you could probably get almost a 1" drop.
Old 06-29-2002, 09:02 PM

Default Re: What springs for even drop, quality? (Todd00)

I have Eibach ProKit on my '98 EX and they lowered it 1.5" about as much as you can lower it without a camber kit, i think it looks just right and it doesn't scrape on anything.
Old 06-30-2002, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What springs for even drop, quality? (infamousek)

i have the h&R sports springs
completely even clean drop around 1.75
ill sell it for 100 shipped!
What generation of Civic are those springs for that you're selling??

Quick Reply: What springs for even drop, quality?