Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What should i look for prior to purchasing a car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What should i look for prior to purchasing a car?

What should i check for before i buy a car? What about b4 i turn on the car(such as checking for leaks under and such.) Could you guys list some stuff i should check?Thanks!
Old 12-12-2007, 07:55 PM
3lo

first check your valet

i would go for a ride and take it to mechanic so he can tell me most of the stuff thats wrong, connect computer and stuff. its really hard to tell what is wrong with the car just looking at it.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would first check to see if it has a CEL on. I would also check underneath the hood and the bottom of the car for leaks. Then test drive it and listen for any abnormal noises. Dont have the radio blaring or anything, just listen for any confusing clunks or thuds. And all the while glance over at the seller every now and again for suspicous looks. Taking it to a mechanic would also be ideal, if the seller will allow it.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:16 PM

Default Re: What should i look for prior to purchasing a car? (HBKFanatic)

check for orange peel, overspray, and sanding marks...those are telltale signs of body work (crappy body work at that)

check the tires for abnormal wear...thats a sign of potentially bent suspension components

look for any check engine light or srs light (you might want to plug it in even if the cel is not on because some people think its cool to remove the bulb to fix the light)

other than that just listen for any quirks and see how she drives. good luck with your purchase.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:31 PM

Default Re: What should i look for prior to purchasing a car? (MilanoCivic97)

ALSO

check for Duct tape, and coat hangers. I know, cliche, but seriously - if you don't know what to look for, at least make sure there are no duct taped hoses and no coat hanger exhaust hangers

one more thing - I've found that if the seller won't let you take the car to YOUR OWN MECHANIC (or mechanic of your choosing) then there is probably something sketchy and or you shouldn't be dealing with this person/car anyway.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check the fender and radiator support bolts to see if they have been turned or are a different color then stock.

also feel the underside of the hood along the edge, about 1/4 inch along the edge should feel smooth just like the exterior. if it is rough then it has been repainted.
also check the trunk lid, and rear quarter panels the same way.

also look for after market welds along the radiator support, this will let you know if it had a front end accident.

look under the car for clamp marks from frame straightening machines

also look at the putty that is in the seams (seam sealer) it should be the color of the car. if it is black or white or any color other then the exterior color it's not from the factory.

that's all i can think of right now.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What should i look for prior to purchasing a car? (vegas hoe)

Cool, does leakage on the block around the header area/below the valve cover mean its got any problems?
Old 12-13-2007, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What should i look for prior to purchasing a car? (HBKFanatic)

Also, talk to the person selling the car and get a feel for who they are, because, you buy the person as much as the car.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What should i look for prior to purchasing a car? (ke98248)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ke98248 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, talk to the person selling the car and get a feel for who they are, because, you buy the person as much as the car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The guy sounds REAL nice. I mean, he was chill about everything. Whenever you want to come down, its got some this and that, sounded mature, told me about the vehicle history, and he was frank all the time on the phone. Hope the car is nice!
Old 12-13-2007, 09:33 AM

on the test drive see if iot pulls to either side (bad alignment or low air pressure in tires) and see if it pulls to either side while braking. and paperwork from day one is always nice.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1988_96hb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1988_96hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on the test drive see if iot pulls to either side (bad alignment or low air pressure in tires) and see if it pulls to either side while braking. and paperwork from day one is always nice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

every oil change since 93
Old 12-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HBKFanatic)

CarFax?
Old 12-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Agent_EM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Agent_EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">CarFax? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I plan on getting one if i like the car.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Agent_EM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Agent_EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">CarFax? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I plan on getting one if i like the car.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

car fax is good, but if there was a major accident and joe bob's body shop fixed it without reporting to the insurance co. then it won't show up on carfax.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Re: (vegas hoe)

Carfaxes are ALLRIGHT for the most part. My dads car got nailed in the 1/4 panel, got it replaced and it never showed up on the carfax!
Old 12-13-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Re: (djessenz)

Check to make sure no rust..
Old 12-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (707CIVIC)

I found this:

Useful Things to Bring Research information
Pricing Guide
Flashlight
Antifreeze tester

CD & cassette tape
Paper towels
Mirror
Tread depth gauge

Notepad & pen
Plastic bags
Camera
Battery acid tester

Walk-Around Checkpoints
Remember: always use caution when inspecting a vehicle, even if it is not running!

General

Inspect the car in daylight or in a well-lit area. You will need a safe space to open the doors and walk around.
Does the vehicle have all the equipment that is indicated by your research material? Note what’s missing.
Note all removable items. Specify which of these should be included in the sale.
Check for service records in the glove box. Look for an oil change sticker– was it changed recently?
Write down the VIN. Later you can review it with a vehicle background reporting company like CARFAX.com to check the vehicle’s details or to get a vehicle history report.
Exterior

Do wheels and hubcaps match all round? Do all tires have safe tread?
Check panels individually for scratches; chips; drips, runs, overspray, etc. Compare panels for color match.
Check trim and other items attached to the exterior. These can be expensive to replace.
Interior

Remove any seat covers and sit in each seat to check its condition.
Push on all airbag covers to feel if they are still inside. If evidence of glue or tampering is present, the airbag may be missing.
Pull on all seat belts. Inspect for excessive wear and make sure they retract properly.
Inspect the headliner for damage and condition.
Was it a smoker’s car? Inspect the ashtray and the end of the lighter.
Test all power features: windows, sunroof, locks, mirrors, seats, convertible top, etc.
Test all stereo components (this is why you should bring a cd and cassette tape).
Engine

Check all fluids.
Examine the engine compartment for leaks, smells, damage, etc. Newly replaced parts may look clean.
Look under the car for any fluids that may have leaked. Try to identify the fluid and its source.
Stand behind the car and have someone start it. Look for excessive smoke from the tail pipe.
Look around the engine compartment for escaping smoke, fluids; or loose parts.
Note any odd rattles, noises and odors.
Have someone rev the engine to around 3,000 RPM while you repeat the above steps.

Test Drive Checkpoints

Drive the car far enough to get it up to temperature and to check that the odometer is working. Have someone else take notes.

Instruments
Do all instruments function properly? Are there any odd readings? Does the speedometer work smoothly?
Drive in a way that simulates stop-and-go traffic.
Does the vehicle accelerate smoothly and with power?
Are the brakes effective? Noisy?
Drive steadily and listen for repetitive noise and wind noise (some cars are noisier than others).
Change lanes, make turns, and park a few times. Are you comfortable controlling the vehicle?
Transmission

Test all gears. If the vehicle has overdrive, activate it while driving and ‘feel’ for gear change.
Make sure the clutch lets out smoothly. If it engages close to the floor it may need service.
Controls

Before starting the drive locate the various controls. Are you comfortable using them while driving?
Alignment

Get directly behind, and low enough to see under, the car. Have someone drive the vehicle away from you in a straight line. Do the front wheels line up with the rear wheels? If not, the car may need some work or it could have sustained some damage.
After Test Drive Checkpoints

Repeat the “Engine” checks above, both at idle, and again at an elevated and even RPM.
Stop the engine. Repeat once more the “Engine” checks above.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:39 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Remember that stock Honda paint has a certain amount of orange peel from the factory. Most cars do, in fact.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if there's a body in the trunk
Old 12-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hurtgen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hurtgen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if there's a body in the trunk</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your humor is impecable.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:19 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

And PLEASE, if the car has a bra when you show up, remove it!

I've seen people buy cars with bras on them, just to remove the bra a few months later and find it was holding the front bumper on.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And PLEASE, if the car has a bra when you show up, remove it!

I've seen people buy cars with bras on them, just to remove the bra a few months later and find it was holding the front bumper on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, ill do that!
Old 12-14-2007, 01:44 PM

This is a fun thread. Also check for bodies in the engine compartment...sometimes they stuff mexicans in there to ride them across the border...

BEST BET - take it to YOUR mechanic, and he can check out all that stuff for pretty cheap (most I've seen was like $50)

Drive it how you would drive it, not how your grandmother would, B/C if you drive like grandma on the test, and its FINE then you buy it and drive like you're 10yrs old playing GTA then it might not handle like you need it too....or want it to... you know what I mean

Have fun!

Old 12-14-2007, 01:52 PM

1. look underneth the car to check for frame damage.
2. check the paint at all different angles, to see if the car has been damaged and repainted.
3. do a compression test on each cylinder.
4. check the motor oil
5. do a TEST DRIVE
6. switch the key to the on position and look at the gauge cluster to see if the check engine light is on. (if its not on then the owner took out the bulb)
7. drive on the highway and hit the brakes if the steering wheel shakes then the rotors have to be resurfaced.

Quick Reply: What should i look for prior to purchasing a car?