Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what should i do? b-series swap or built d16z6 turbo in my 94 civic coupe ex

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what should i do? b-series swap or built d16z6 turbo in my 94 civic coupe ex

I always thought it would be cool to have a gsr swap or some other v-tec b-series swap but now i am thinking about making a custom turbo kit. I dont have the money right now but i would like to get some ideas about how much it will cost and which one i should do.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: what should i do? b-series swap or built d16z6 turbo in my 94 civic coupe ex (redlineracer419)

well how much boost you want to run?? the more you want the more it willl cost you. you can get a b18c5 swap for the same price as a turbo. not too make your decision harder or anything
Old 01-06-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Re: what should i do? b-series swap or built d16z6 turbo in my 94 civic coupe ex (civictildeath)

It is a daily driver so probably around 8psi or so.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Re: what should i do? b-series swap or built d16z6 turbo in my 94 civic coupe ex (redlineracer419)

thats not too bad wont need to do a engine overhaul for that ie. new internals, sleeves and what not
Old 01-06-2005, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what should i do? b-series swap or built d16z6 turbo in my 94 civic coupe ex (civictildeath)

d block for life
Old 01-06-2005, 08:33 PM

I've been giving a lot of thought as to what I want to do under my car's hood too. However, I think I've come to a decision on an engine swap. I feel that if I put a turbo on my D16Z6, ('93 Si) I cap off all the possibilities of future growth. Plus, with any of them turbo kits like the one from Edlebrock or Drag, I'd only get around 40 or so HP. And I wouldn't even get the opportunity to tune the separate cams like you'd get to do on any of the DOHC motors.

If I buy another engine, I can build the new one while I still have the old one in the car, therefore, still drive. A B16 would provide just about the same power gain as the turbo on the D16, with the two separate cams, and usually, the transmission that was built to handle the swapped engine's power. If you boost the D16, you may have to deal with transmission problems earlier. I'm not positive, because I don't know much about Honda's transmitions, but it makes sense.

When I save up more money, I can then put the turbo on, and go somewhere above 200HP. I'm not saying that a D series can't get up above 200, it just seems like it would be easier to get more power out of an engine that had more power to begin with.

I just can't decide which engine swap I want yet. Since I have no income right now, it doesn't seem like a big problem. Plus, wheels, tires, and suspension are my next purchases.

You've heard it before, but it's all about how much you want to spend ya' know? Plus, it's your car, your money, and ultimately your decision. I just hope my words maybe allow you to look at the whole thing from a different point of view.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Re: what should i do? b-series swap or built d16z6 turbo in my 94 civic coupe ex (Solice)

i gotta agree i have been wanting to turbo but thought about a swap so the engine can be torn down and upgraded from bottom to top before it touches the car and without losing my car everytime i want to add something
Old 01-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what should i do? b-series swap or built d16z6 turbo in my 94 civic coupe ex (Solice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Solice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've been giving a lot of thought as to what I want to do under my car's hood too. However, I think I've come to a decision on an engine swap. I feel that if I put a turbo on my D16Z6, ('93 Si) I cap off all the possibilities of future growth. Plus, with any of them turbo kits like the one from Edlebrock or Drag, I'd only get around 40 or so HP. And I wouldn't even get the opportunity to tune the separate cams like you'd get to do on any of the DOHC motors.

If I buy another engine, I can build the new one while I still have the old one in the car, therefore, still drive. A B16 would provide just about the same power gain as the turbo on the D16, with the two separate cams, and usually, the transmission that was built to handle the swapped engine's power. If you boost the D16, you may have to deal with transmission problems earlier. I'm not positive, because I don't know much about Honda's transmitions, but it makes sense.

When I save up more money, I can then put the turbo on, and go somewhere above 200HP. I'm not saying that a D series can't get up above 200, it just seems like it would be easier to get more power out of an engine that had more power to begin with.

I just can't decide which engine swap I want yet. Since I have no income right now, it doesn't seem like a big problem. Plus, wheels, tires, and suspension are my next purchases.

You've heard it before, but it's all about how much you want to spend ya' know? Plus, it's your car, your money, and ultimately your decision. I just hope my words maybe allow you to look at the whole thing from a different point of view.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do a search... you can piece together your own turbo kit on ur D and have 180whp, which is about 40whp more than a B16 is gonna have.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:35 AM

Default Re: what should i do? b-series swap or built d16z6 turbo in my 94 civic coupe ex (cnyej1)

thanks for all of your input. I have been dealing with snow so i just got to read all of your thoughts on today(saturday the 8th). I would like to do the swap and then someday turbo but will have to see if i can save enough.