Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what rotors for my hatch

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what rotors for my hatch

I am buying drilled/slotted rotors...from your guys opinions what would you buy??
EBC or Toucan
Old 05-11-2006, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what rotors for my hatch (SOHC.EG.Hatch)

Don't bother with wasting your money with does they are just for looks and no performance is gained from them.

Your best bet is a set of Brembo blanks rotors with some Axxiss pads or Hawk pads. You will be very happy with that trust me.

Btw say away from EBC or Toucan.

Dave
Old 05-11-2006, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what rotors for my hatch (93SiVtec677)

you cant say there is no performance from them. maybe not for daily driving but for track driving there is.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what rotors for my hatch (teggrl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teggrl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you cant say there is no performance from them. maybe not for daily driving but for track driving there is. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes I can. My bf only uses Brembo blanks on our cars. Years ago he had a set of slotted Brembo's and one exploded at Sebring. Last September, he did the Targa Newfoundland Rally in Brembo blanks... and tomorrow he's at Pocono doing a track day in them. And we use Hawk HP+ pads for both motorsports and daily driving.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:15 AM

Default Re: what rotors for my hatch (93SiVtec677)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93SiVtec677 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Your best bet is a set of Brembo blanks rotors with some Axxiss pads or Hawk pads. You will be very happy with that trust me.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-11-2006, 09:49 AM

Default Re: what rotors for my hatch (fms1day)

I am goign to go with Green Stuff pads i think and Brembo drilled and slotted...I drive about 200 miles a day up and down hills and blanks tend to not work as well..thats what i have now
Old 05-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck with your new setup. Matt did just fine at the Targa with Blanks and Hawks, and that was five long days of hills and twisties.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:19 AM

x2 for the Brembo blanks and Hawk pads. I have the same set up and love it!!! Great stopping power and no problems with break dust!
Old 05-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what rotors for my hatch (EH339)

She speaks the truth.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EH339 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Yes I can. My bf only uses Brembo blanks on our cars. Years ago he had a set of slotted Brembo's and one exploded at Sebring. Last September, he did the Targa Newfoundland Rally in Brembo blanks... and tomorrow he's at Pocono doing a track day in them. And we use Hawk HP+ pads for both motorsports and daily driving. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-11-2006, 10:38 AM

Default Re: what rotors for my hatch (scuzz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scuzz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">She speaks the truth.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No doubt I have 2 hatchs I either use Brembo blanks or even autozone blanks and then Hawk or Cobalt pads it will give you whiplash easy enough.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what rotors for my hatch (ralphie14)

Having good stopping power is more important that having a fast car in Boston traffic. The Brembo/Hawk combo has saved us from many a potential fender bender. lol
Old 05-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what rotors for my hatch (scuzz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scuzz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">She speaks the truth.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks! But I think that SOHC.EG.Hatch already had his heart set on Brembo crossdrilled/ slotted rotors when he made this post. Then for pads, it was only a choice between EBC or Toucan. But hey, it's his car... and hopefully, he won't be pushing his car that hard, not like my bf does. Matt has enough seat time at track to know what lines to take and how late into the corners he can brake. *shrug*
Old 05-11-2006, 07:01 PM

i was talking about the rotors...i am getting EBC green stuff pads...idk...blanks and d/s are not much of a price difference
Old 05-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC.EG.Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was talking about the rotors...i am getting EBC green stuff pads...idk...blanks and d/s are not much of a price difference</TD></TR></TABLE>

The title of your thread was "what rotors for my hatch"... but your first post was...
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC.EG.Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am buying drilled/slotted rotors...from your guys opinions what would you buy??
EBC or Toucan </TD></TR></TABLE>
So it seemed like your wanted our opinions on rotors AND pads. And we gave them to you, but you took absolutely none of our advice. lWe were all about blanks and either Hawks or Axxis brake pads.

So what if there is not much difference in price between blanks and drilled/slotted ones. The drilled/slotted ones are garbage. Maybe they look impressive, but brake pads these days don't emit gasses that need to be vented. And structurally, you don't want blanks that have holes that are drilled out, you want CAST holes.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:07 AM

the EBC D/S has cast holes i believe...no need to get offensive now...i was leaning towards D/S and thats why i asked for your guys opinion...which brand is better...toucan or EBC...all i asked?
Old 05-12-2006, 06:19 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC.EG.Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the EBC D/S has cast holes i believe...no need to get offensive now...i was leaning towards D/S and thats why i asked for your guys opinion...which brand is better...toucan or EBC...all i asked?</TD></TR></TABLE>

What she is trying to tell you is that unless you are going for the Bling factor there is no reason to get the D/S rotors. Structually they are typically not as strong as a blank they are more sustable to warping and the D/S rotors will chew through your pads a lot faster than a blank rotor.

If you are dead set on those rotors through I have never heard of the 2 brands that you listed. Only one I know about is Brembo.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Plain and simple
You do not need drilled rottors. They will crack and/or chew up your pads.
The pads youre looking at, arent even good ones, if you ask me.

Get some blank rotors from autozone or wherever - they do not have to be brembo - and some good pads (hawk, axxis, etc) and you will be fine.

Drilled and slotted rotors are the biggest waste of money for a DD...even if you do have some serious braking - that means you should slow down
Old 05-12-2006, 11:08 AM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

Brembo blanks FTW!
Old 05-12-2006, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC.EG.Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the EBC D/S has cast holes i believe...no need to get offensive now...i was leaning towards D/S and thats why i asked for your guys opinion...which brand is better...toucan or EBC...all i asked?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I didn't mean to come off as offensive. I was just trying to point out to you that your thread was very confusing... both in title and in content.

In real life, I always recommend Brembo blanks and Hawk HP+ pads to my friends. We even have that combo on our '89 BMW 325iX... which we snowcross in.

And I did defend your choice in a previous post, because it's YOUR car and YOUR money, so do with it what you want to.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:22 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC.EG.Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am buying drilled/slotted rotors</TD></TR></TABLE>
Don't.

Just buy blanks.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...from your guys opinions what would you buy??
EBC or Toucan </TD></TR></TABLE>
Neither.

What are you looking to accomplish with the brakes?
Old 05-12-2006, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what rotors for my hatch (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What are you looking to accomplish with the brakes?</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC.EG.Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am goign to go with Green Stuff pads i think and Brembo drilled and slotted...I drive about 200 miles a day up and down hills and blanks tend to not work as well..thats what i have now</TD></TR></TABLE>

So apparently only daily driving... but there are a lot of hills involved.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:20 PM

well what i do is use modified corrolla pads(oem) and miata rotors(oem)
Old 05-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stick with brembo blanks. You'll see a better braking gain on the street. As for pads, i like pbr and hawk, pbr is a little less dusty but hawk is more aggressive.