Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What octane gas do you run?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What octane gas do you run?

i want to know what octane gas you guys run and what's your cars setup.

i have stock 95 ex running 87 octane. would it be alright to put in 89 or 91?
Old 05-09-2004, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With the gas prices these days, I run the cheapest **** possible. Engine:D16z6

There would be no problem running 91 octane, kinda pointless running premium unless its required.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:54 PM
Trial User

Default Re: What octane gas do you run? (NOTA-EX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOTA-EX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i want to know what octane gas you guys run and what's your cars setup.

i have stock 95 ex running 87 octane. would it be alright to put in 89 or 91?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If it's stock, I don't see why you would want to spend even more money (gas is already insanely high) when your car will run just fine on 87
Old 05-09-2004, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: What octane gas do you run? (AccordKid85)

If your completely stock then 87 is fine for you.

I use 91 but im swapped (GSR) and im getting ready for turbo as well. It will suck when gas prices go up in summer i know that much already.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:57 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

sunoco 94 octane you can feel the difference running from a lower grade to a higher grade
Old 05-09-2004, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOTA-EX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i want to know what octane gas you guys run and what's your cars setup.

i have stock 95 ex running 87 octane. would it be alright to put in 89 or 91?</TD></TR></TABLE>
it is a waste of money to run a higher octane in your stock D16 engine. there are no performance gains. in fact it will probably hurt performance. higher the octane the more resistant the fuel is to combust.

octane does NOT equal horsepower. i dont know why people think that.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What octane gas do you run? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I use 91 but im swapped (GSR) and im getting ready for turbo as well. It will suck when gas prices go up in summer i know that much already. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Look on the brightside. Atleast it wont be nearly as much as those crazy SUV owners have to pay every week. My roomate dumps like 45 bucks a week in his Jeep.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What octane gas do you run? (JDM PRO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM PRO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sunoco 94 octane you can feel the difference running from a lower grade to a higher grade</TD></TR></TABLE>
no you cant unless you are running a very high performance engine.

the only diffrence you think you feel is in your head.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Trial User

Default Re: What octane gas do you run? (SC0TT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SC0TT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Look on the brightside. Atleast it wont be nearly as much as those crazy SUV owners have to pay every week. My roomate dumps like 45 bucks a week in his Jeep. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea. My dad's Jaguar XJ6 costs him $40 for a fill-up. Thankfully he'll average 22mpg.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM PRO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sunoco 94 octane you can feel the difference running from a lower grade to a higher grade</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah cause octane adds hp. ....it's called thinking your way to more power

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no you cant unless you are running a very high performance engine.

the only diffrence you think you feel is in your head.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly When will people learn tha octane doesn't add power?
Old 05-09-2004, 05:06 PM

Oh yeah I run 94-95 octane depending on my mood
Old 05-09-2004, 05:14 PM
Trial User

Default Re: What octane gas do you run? (b16ahybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16ahybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh yeah I run 94-95 octane depending on my mood</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn...highest i've seen at regular gas stations around here is 93.

I run 87 on my stock Accord
Old 05-09-2004, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOTA-EX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you won't gain any power. an octane rating is a number derived from a formula on a fuels ability to resist knock. its not a power rating. the lower the octane number the lower the cumbustion point.

your computer must really be retarding ignition timing for you to feel the power you are talking about

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16ahybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh yeah I run 94-95 octane depending on my mood</TD></TR></TABLE>
don't you mean depending on what PSi you are running

anything under 10.5:1 compression ratio doesnt require the use of anything other than 87
Old 05-09-2004, 05:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM PRO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sunoco 94 octane you can feel the difference running from a lower grade to a higher grade</TD></TR></TABLE> I run this in my turbo D16. It's expensive though.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:37 PM

Default Re: What octane gas do you run? (Luserkid)

i run exxon/mobil 93 octane
Old 05-09-2004, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What octane gas do you run? (2ndchancehonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2ndchancehonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i run exxon/mobil 93 octane </TD></TR></TABLE>

that doesnt tell us much. what or why are you running the higher octane fuel?
Old 05-09-2004, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What octane gas do you run? (2ndchancehonda)

I usually run 89 mid grade, I've got some really bad 87 a few times so I just put that in. If gas keeps increasing like it is I'll probabally switch to 87, but then again I get like 35-40 mpg, so I might just stay with the mid grade. Gas here is around $2.00 a gallon for 93 octane
Old 05-09-2004, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What octane gas do you run? (Huggy Bear)

when u put in the higher octane u pay the extra $.10 per gallon but your car runs better and the gas mileage is better and what u spend extra on the higher octane u spend when u have to refill the lower octane.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:49 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

93 octane in my 2000 Civic Si, because the owner's manual states that it requires premium fuel.

87 octane in my 1991 CRX Si, because the owners manual states that it only requires regular fuel.

87 octane in my 1993 Civic EX before I sold it, because the owner's manual stated that it only required regular fuel.

Anyone sensing a pattern?

Contrary to popular belief, using high-octane fuel in a car that does not require it is no different from taking the cash difference between regular and premium, lighting it on fire, and throwing it up in the air.

You only need to use a higher octane fuel when your engine is detonating on a lower octane.

Wrong, unless your engine detonates on a lower octane.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jay De Em &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when u put in the higher octane u pay the extra $.10 per gallon but your car runs better and the gas mileage is better and what u spend extra on the higher octane u spend when u have to refill the lower octane. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Wrong.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What octane gas do you run? (Jay De Em)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jay De Em &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when u put in the higher octane u pay the extra $.10 per gallon but your car runs better and the gas mileage is better and what u spend extra on the higher octane u spend when u have to refill the lower octane. </TD></TR></TABLE>
*BZZZZ* wrong again

damn people what makes you think higher octane is better?

higher octane does NOT save gas, it does NOT make your car run better. in fact it will run worse!

whats so hard to understand about this?!
Old 05-09-2004, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What octane gas do you run? (Jay De Em)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
*BZZZZ* wrong again

damn people what makes you think higher octane is better?

higher octane does NOT save gas, it does NOT make your car run better. in fact it will run worse!

whats so hard to understand about this?!</TD></TR></TABLE>

its like an old wives tale. i guess these same people believe youll catch a cold being exposed to cold weather. as if climate has anything to do with a cold virus.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What octane gas do you run? (Kamin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
higher octane does NOT save gas, it does NOT make your car run better. in fact it will run worse!</TD></TR></TABLE>

listen to him

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats so hard to understand about this?!</TD></TR></TABLE>

it is the same reason why people buy parts that are higher in price cause "it must be better because it is more money"
Old 05-09-2004, 06:15 PM

Default Re: What octane gas do you run? (turbogixxer)

I dont remember exactly what I ran but it was in 17's with 87 regular octane. The following week I put 92 in my tank and I ran high 16's. Not too much of a change but when I get my turbo I'll definately post my times on both 87 octane and 92 gas.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:22 PM

central NC gas is like $2 for 93.

i run 87 most of the time unless i go to the track then i run 93 cause i am running like 20 degrees or so of timing in a ls/vtec.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What octane gas do you run? (chronodyne28)

i always run 93 octain gas from CHEVRON.....but i have an h22 w/typeS pistons

Quick Reply: What octane gas do you run?