Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What is normal engine noise for a b16a2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is normal engine noise for a b16a2?

Video posted below is a stock b16a2 with 150k miles on it. I've actually never hear another stock on and have no reference for how this motor should sound. Is it ticking/knocking to much? Is this totally normal? And for anyone on here who have never hear a b16 that didn't have an intake/header/exhaust, here you go! Your thoughts are welcome!

Old 04-26-2018, 07:59 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 220 Likes on 197 Posts
Default Re: What is normal engine noise for a b16a2?

Do valve lash adjustment first to see if that minimizes the noise.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

vrooom vroom bah bah vroom bah dah lah vroom vrooooooooom
Old 04-26-2018, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
Do valve lash adjustment first to see if that minimizes the noise.
Timing belt and valve adjustment was done 4k miles ago by a licensed shop. I'm curious if the increased noise has anything to do with switching from conventional oil to full synthetic.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly, B16s are just noisy engines even when they were brand new. I've had quite a few of them and have simply gotten used to the rattly/ticky noise they make. My current swap is a B16A2 from a 2000 Si that had 80k on it. Before the swap, I changed all the gaskets, belts, hoses, did a valve adjustment and put now change the oil every ~2k miles. Compression and everything else on this motor are right in spec and it still sounds like this. So long as you don't hear any rod knock and your valves are adjusted correctly, the next step would be swapping out the LMAs. It might help a little, but don't expect a B16A to be super quite.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Feriohhh
Honestly, B16s are just noisy engines even when they were brand new. I've had quite a few of them and have simply gotten used to the rattly/ticky noise they make. My current swap is a B16A2 from a 2000 Si that had 80k on it. Before the swap, I changed all the gaskets, belts, hoses, did a valve adjustment and put now change the oil every ~2k miles. Compression and everything else on this motor are right in spec and it still sounds like this. So long as you don't hear any rod knock and your valves are adjusted correctly, the next step would be swapping out the LMAs. It might help a little, but don't expect a B16A to be super quite.
I've heard the b series are just noisy in general. After listening to the video what are your thoughts? Regular amount of tick/noise? I've never heard and serious knocking but I do hear a more constant whirring noise that is rev dependent. I'm not sure if it is the engine or trans or maybe even the alternator.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by garf
I've heard the b series are just noisy in general. After listening to the video what are your thoughts? Regular amount of tick/noise? I've never heard and serious knocking but I do hear a more constant whirring noise that is rev dependent. I'm not sure if it is the engine or trans or maybe even the alternator.
It's hard to tell in the video. The ticking sounds perfectly normal to me, but the low whirring noise is a bit louder than normal and it's hard to say if that's just the microphone or the car itself. I don't think I'd worry yet. If you can, get mechanic's stethoscope (cheap at eBay, Harbor Freight, parts store) and try to pin down where it's coming from. Again, these motors are quite noisy so don't stress yourself out yet.

Last edited by Feriohhh; 04-27-2018 at 08:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-27-2018, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds normal to me, if you had something wrong like lifter when you hit the gas it would get louder.