Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what modification next? decisions... decisions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what modification next? decisions... decisions...

I know people start this type of thread all the time, but i truely want some opinions. Heres my situation. I have a 93 del sol si w/ the following mods:

ENGINE: JDM B16a swap, Driveshaft Shop Stage 2 axles, removed A/C, P/S to manual rack conversion, CTR N1 Race Crank Pulley, DC stainless 4:2:1 header, Random Tech cat, Skunk 2 cat back exhaust, NX 35 shot wet system, NX fuel pressure safety switch, NX purge kit, NX nitrous pressure gauge, NGK V-racing plugs, NGK wires, Energy Suspension motor mount inserts, and spoon radiator cap.

Brakes: EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, Hawk HP+ pads, Motul 600 Dot 4 brake fluid

Suspension: Skunk2 coilovers, KYB AGX shocks, front & rear camber kits, DC front upper strut bar, VTEC front upper strut bar, OBX rear lower tie bar

ok, thats what i have done so far. I plan on turbocharging late summer 04 and getting Hondata s200b, so my question is what should i do next that will be capatible/accent my turbo system down the road. Also, i'm trying to steer away from opening anything up until i have to (i.e. tranny, block, head). I'm looking for HP/performance/reliability so what do you think would be the best investment for about $400 or so?

VAFC and then sell it to get the hondata in the summer? fuel pump, greddy catch can, and APEX-i N/A turbo timer? Clutch & Flywheel and save up for Quaife to install all at once? Throttle body, Intake Manifold, & Hondata heat shield? Save up for head work? save up to build bottom end so I can spray more?
any suggestions are welcome, and you don't have to be general. suggest companies you have or trust or know perform.

thanks for any input.

-ROB
Old 10-24-2003, 04:04 PM

Default Re: what modification next? decisions... decisions... (sol2nr)

oh yeah....heres some more mods i already have that i forgot to post:

Wheel/Tire: 15X6.5" Nippon Racing F2s(~11lbs), Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 711s, McGard hyper black wheel lock & lug kit

Misc: Viper alarm & LoJack, Hawker Genesis lightweight(~10.8lbs) battery, trunk battery relocation, Energy Suspension polyeurethane shifter bushings, Proform shift light.

-ROB
Old 10-24-2003, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Save it so you can build up your block before you turbo.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:38 PM

Default Re: what modification next? decisions... decisions... (96coupe)

do you have a rear sway bar?
Old 10-24-2003, 06:07 PM

Default Re: what modification next? decisions... decisions... (jwn7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you have a rear sway bar?</TD></TR></TABLE>

NO, but that was one mod I want for the near future. When i do purchase sway bars, i pretty much decided on the suspension techniques front and rear sways. I do like ripping around turns testing my car's limits and do compete in autoX occasionally. Are you suggesting a rear sway?
Old 10-26-2003, 09:10 AM

anyone else care to add their opinion?
Old 10-26-2003, 09:17 AM
TurboJesse

save for turbo...no need doing anything else now..
Old 10-26-2003, 10:14 AM

Default Re: what modification next? decisions... decisions... (Mpir3)

I would send it on turbo things.. Like if you plan on buying a kit, use the money to upgrade things like the wastegate to a tial. Or, start buying things that aren't included in most kit like injectors, or I was gonna say an MSD BTM but I'm pretty sure hondata incorportates a ignition to boost retard feature. right?

Mike
Old 10-26-2003, 10:36 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sol2nr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone else care to add their opinion?</TD></TR></TABLE>
hondata now. start learning about setting it up. u can get either boosted or non-boosted, boosted only means they support bigger maps and it's cheaper.

EDIT: cheaper than buying non-boosted and then upgrading.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sol2nr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...CTR N1 Race Crank Pulley...

thanks for any input.

-ROB</TD></TR></TABLE>
and then start saving to fixup that problem.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:00 PM

SLedghammer: "I was gonna say an MSD BTM but I'm pretty sure hondata incorportates a ignition to boost retard feature. right?"

when asking hondata about ignition timing control they kept telling me how hondata is for dry nitrous systems and not for my NX wet system....i wasn't able to get a real answer about this from them, which is surprising. i'll have to call them again.

mathusala: "and then start saving to fixup that problem."

i hear ya man, but i haven't had any problems with anything at all, and i was/still am kinda skeptical, but i talked to sooo many people who've had it on for 20+ thousand miles with no problem. i like the gains, and it cleaned up the engine bay a little, so i figure if some damage does occur, i'll just replace/rebuild that part of the engine at that time. i plan on doing it eventually anyway.

mathusala: "hondata now. start learning about setting it up."

thats what i was thinking. i really do want to have hondata by january 04, b/c its one mod that is good for any future changes to my engine set-up, plus it'll make my acceleration a little smoother. and just the bling of a laptop on the passenger seat is soo cool...lol

also, mathusala, so you're suggesting i get everything from hondata to datalog and modify my maps myself or just get the basic s200b system and have it tuned by the dealer?

any other mod suggestions by anyone?
Old 10-26-2003, 08:02 PM

Default Re: (sol2nr)

finish your suspension. rear sway bar.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:05 PM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: (sol2nr)

how about parts to lighten up your car. carbon fiber hood or trunk would be a good upgrade. or you could maybe switch up to a better intake manifold with better throttle body.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:37 PM

Default Re: (AzntaggeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AzntaggeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how about parts to lighten up your car. carbon fiber hood or trunk would be a good upgrade. or you could maybe switch up to a better intake manifold with better throttle body.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i will replace the hood and trunk once someone hits me. i just can't justify spending 500+ dollars to save 15lbs, it that on a hood. The performance for the money just isn't there for them, plus they draw attention. I still want my sol to look as low-key as possible. in due time i will definitely get a CF hood, just not until i have to.

IM w/ throttle body is a good idea. i have to do more research into them.