Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What to look for when buying a used car

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for when buying a used car

Like the topic says, what should i look for when buying a used car? Like some of you know im lookin for a car and i was wondering what to look for to tell if its a good car or not.

Thank You
Old 01-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to look for when buying a used car (shutuprichard551)

Here are some tips/tricks:

Check to see if the gauge cluster is producing a C.E.L. (Check Engine Light) when the car is on.

Check for dents, scraps, evidence of poor repair from an accident

Carfax the vehicle before buying

KBB.com the car to make sure you're not being ripped off

If the car isn't stock, check and make sure the work done (if motor/tranny was swapped, or the car was turbo'd, that it's in perfect running condition).

Take the vehicle to a trusted mechanic for an all-around inspection if you don't have time or are unable to check out the car yourself.

Put the car thru it's paces, make sure it shifts nicely and that the car's motor drives normally.

Get to know the person -- you're buying the person as much as the car. Make sure you like what you see.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to look for when buying a used car (ke98248)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ke98248 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get to know the person -- you're buying the person as much as the car. Make sure you like what you see.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, theres nothing worse than dealing with a shady or non-friendly person. Thats the last person you want to be handing a few grand to. Also..something you may not know about hondas. All the body panels (fenders, front and rear bumpers, etc.) have an OEM vin# sticker on them. Check to make sure they are there and that they match the other vins (dashboard stamp, transmission stamp, firewall stamp). This will help you determine if the car was in any kind of accident.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:44 PM

bump
Old 01-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure the tranny has a VIN# on it, I've heard about people getting in trouble for that. Also check the front bumper, make sure its not cut. I always did the best I could to see if the car had been turbo'd or not. Turn on the A/C see if it works, and make sure it doesn't smell. Just cause the car doesn't smell bad normally doesn't mean the person wasn't a smoker. Pop the hood and see how the engine is running, should be smooth and not much movement if it is stock.