Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What kind of spark plug wires are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What kind of spark plug wires are you using? (ilikemacncheeze)

im sportin the MSD super conducters, but i like OEM. Nice clean idle.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: What kind of spark plug wires are you using? (civboy115)

msd superconductors over here
Old 02-26-2004, 10:20 PM

Default Re: What kind of spark plug wires are you using? (blackeg)

Why waste $150-$200 on something that does not do enough to notice and can possiably hurt performance. Ericks racing still uses OEM wires and they build some of the best NA motors there are. That alone should be enough evidence to end discussion.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Silverbeast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Silverbeast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">MSD for me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

MSD here too
Old 02-27-2004, 12:27 AM
Banned

Default Re: (SpoonSleeper)

Sumitomo plug wires.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What kind of spark plug wires are you using? (ramz7887)

oem plugs and wires.... imo taht would be the best to use on a stock engine

i dunno really. cuz i figure the ignition system was designed by some pretty smart people .
Old 02-27-2004, 03:04 AM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What kind of spark plug wires are you using? (YAYA!)

i bought a set of nologys and took them back , car ran like **** with them
Old 02-27-2004, 03:04 AM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What kind of spark plug wires are you using? (THEINTEGRATION)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THEINTEGRATION &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't know if you guys have seen this but I thought it was GREAT at SEMA.

Quick Power is a pretty much new brand personally endorsed by Keiichi Tsuchiya (Drift King) himself. One of the guys at the Mackin Industries booth demostrated it to me also. It's a spark plug wire that has another grounding wire attached to it. With a proper ground the electrical current that runs into your plug is much more powerful. When the guy at Mackin removed the grounding wire, the spark on the plug was much visibily smaller and obviously less powerful. But with the grounding wire reattached the spark was considerably larger and noticably more powerful. I'm not sure when these will be available to the masses but it's definitely something to look out for.</TD></TR></TABLE>

keep us updated
Old 02-27-2004, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What kind of spark plug wires are you using? (Hella_JDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hella_JDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

keep us updated</TD></TR></TABLE>

They are distributed by Mackin Industries (http://www.mackinindustries.com/). Mackin does not have any info on their website related to this brand but I'm sure it'll appear sometime or another this year or next year. Spoon has a spark plug wire that is similar to Quick Power's. (Source: http://www.inlinefour.com)

Seriously, if you create a better eletrical ground the flow of electrons through the current is much more efficient and the difference is easily noticed visably. The Spark created is much larger and brighter. I guess any more information about this brand or product would be best accumulated by contacting Mackin Industries.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as far as i can tell its a steel braided cable that is grounded. another Nology copy. bah. NGK blue or OEM.

if you spend $300 for 1 hp you need your head examined.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What kind of spark plug wires are you using? (THEINTEGRATION)

These are just like the Nology wires. But I agree they are a bit expensive....
Old 02-27-2004, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OEM Only
Old 02-27-2004, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What kind of spark plug wires are you using? (93CivicSI)

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

Enjoy,
Old 02-28-2004, 02:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What kind of spark plug wires are you using? (RHDEG6)

Wow, I guess I am going back to my old OEM, seeing that one used for 8 years outpreformend the aftermarkets. The ones I have now are 7mm for some reason, I know that the size is way too small.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What kind of spark plug wires are you using? (SeaQuake)

I heard today that Nology wires, and anything similar are not good for Turbo... Is this true, and why is that?
Old 03-02-2004, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Borg Warner 7.5's here
Old 03-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What kind of spark plug wires are you using? (IDriveAHonda)

8.5 MSD Wires
Old 04-06-2004, 06:42 PM

Default Re: What kind of spark plug wires are you using? (hXc-ITR)

I thought oem wires were NGK?
Old 04-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for the idiots who took it in the *** and got nology wires:

"CAPACITOR" EFFECT WIRES with grounded metal braiding over jacket
The most notable of exaggerated claims for ignition wires are made by Nology, a recent manufacturer of ignition wires promoted as "the only spark plug wires with built-in capacitor." Nology's "HotWires" (called "Plasma Leads" in the UK) consist of unsuppressed solid metal or spiral conductor ignition wires over which braided metal sleeves are partially fitted. The braided metal sleeves are grounded via straps formed from part of the braiding. Insulating covers are fitted over the braided metal sleeves. These wires are well constructed. For whatever reason, Nology specifies that non-resistor spark plugs need to be used with their "HotWires." In a demonstration, the use of resistor plugs nullifies the visual effect of the brighter spark.

Ignition wires with grounded braided metal sleeves over the cable have come and gone all over the world for (at least) the last 30 years, and similar wires were used over 20 years ago by a few car makers to solve cross-firing problems on early fuel injected engines and RFI problems on fiberglass bodied cars — only to find other problems were created. The recent Circle Track Magazine (USA, May, 1996 issue) test showed Nology "HotWires" produced no additional horsepower (the test actually showed a 10 horsepower decrease when compared to stock carbon conductor wires).

The perceived effect a brighter spark, conducted by an ignition wire, encased or partially encased in a braided metal sleeve (shield) grounded to the engine, jumping across a huge free-air gap (which bears no relationship to the spark needed to fire the variable air/fuel mixture under pressure in a combustion chamber) is continually being re-discovered and cleverly demonstrated by marketers who convince themselves there's monetary value in such a bright spark, and all sorts of wild, completely un-provable claims are made for this phenomena.

Like many in the past, Nology cleverly demonstrates a brighter free-air spark containing useless flash-over created by the crude "capacitor" (effect) of this style of wire. In reality, the bright spark has no more useful energy to fire a variable compressed air/fuel mixture than the clean spark you would see in a similar demonstration using any good carbon conductor wire. What is happening in such a demonstration is the coil output is being unnecessarily boosted to additionally supply spark energy that is induced (and wasted) into the grounded braided metal sleeve around the ignition wire's jacket. To test the validity of this statement, ask the demonstrator to disconnect the ground strap and observe just how much energy is sparking to ground.

Claims by Nology of their "HotWires" creating sparks that are "300 times more powerful," reaching temperatures of "100,000 to 150,000 degrees F" (more than enough to melt spark plug electrodes), spark durations of "4 billionths of a second" (spark duration is controlled by the ignition system itself) and currents of "1,000 amperes" magically evolving in "capacitors" allegedly "built-in" to the ignition wires are as ridiculous as the data and the depiction of sparks in photographs used in advertising material and the price asked for these wires! Most stock ignition primaries are regulated to 6 amperes and the most powerful race ignition to no more than 40 amperes at 12,000 RPM.

It is common knowledge amongst automotive electrical engineers that it is unwise to use ignition wires fitted with grounded braided metal sleeves fitted over ignition cable jackets on an automobile engine. This type of ignition wires forces its cable jackets to become an unsuitable dielectric for a crude capacitor (effect) between the conductor and the braided metal sleeves. While the wires function normally when first fitted, the cable jackets soon break down as a dielectric, and progressively more spark energy is induced from the conductors (though the cable jackets) into the grounded metal sleeves, causing the ignition coil to unnecessarily output more energy to fire both the spark plug gaps and the additional energy lost via the braided metal sleeves. Often this situation leads to ignition coil and control unit overload failures. It should be noted that it is dangerous to use these wires if not grounded to the engine, as the grounding straps will be alive with thousands of volts wanting to ground-out to anything (or body) nearby.

Unless you are prepared to accept poorly suppressed ignition wires that fail sooner than any other type of ignition wires and stretch your ignition system to the limit, and have an engine with no electronic management system and/or exhaust emission controls, it's best not to be influenced by the exaggerated claims, and some vested-interest journalists', resellers' and installers' perception an engine has more power after Nology wires are fitted. Often, after replacing deteriorated wires, any new ignition wires make an engine run better.

(from the earlier link)
Old 04-06-2004, 07:45 PM

cant go wrong with OEM
Old 04-06-2004, 08:09 PM

OEM Honda for me because OEM is the ****.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What kind of spark plug wires are you using? (boostedcivicsir)

NGK (the blue ones)
Old 04-06-2004, 08:31 PM

Default Re: What kind of spark plug wires are you using? (greebler)

OEM wires and NGK bkr7e
Old 04-14-2004, 02:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What kind of spark plug wires are you using? (RHDEG6)

OEM is good, but try going to a honda dealership and getting OEM spark plugs . . . tell me how much they charge you Might as well get aftermarket wires.

Honda locally wanted to charge me $299 for an o2 sensor, I went around the corner and got mine for $60

OEM
Old 04-14-2004, 04:42 AM

Default Re: What kind of spark plug wires are you using? (Vtec92Civic)

Just finished reading the link to the NGK Blue Vs. 8mm "Performance Wires" Vs. OEM. One thing that I noticed is that they gave no consideration to heat soak assuming the engine was cool when they performed the *first dyno tests with the OEM. As well as other variables, such as consitancy, etc. I.E. running the wires over again for more consitent results. I am interested to see a grand SCC (sport compact car) shootout between wires, as they like to do such shootouts. (editors if your reading)As for those Spoon and Quick Power Wires, looks as though they are the same concept as the Nology's. Refer to above posts and links on those. Also, someone mentioned use of OEM wires on race Hondas, which is true. Something to consider. Currently I am running OEM, but I too am considering a wiring upgrade later on down the road. I've had my mind set on Magnecore, but recently I've considered NGK Blues and MSD's....$0.02

EDIT: (see *)

Quick Reply: What kind of spark plug wires are you using?