Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What happend to the K Series?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happend to the K Series?

alright, im only 16. But i remember that when the k series came out, everyone was saying that because they are gonna produce so many of them, they are gonna be way cheaper than the b and h series. obviosly this isnt so yet. will this ever happen? i desperately want a k series but they are so damn expensive! . and to install them is way more too. how much did you guys pay to get it installed for those of you who didnt do it themselves?
Old 11-02-2005, 03:06 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What happend to the K Series? (97spooncivic)

Stop dreaming. Seriously. You're 16. How about take the 5-6 years left of being a student and dedicate alot of your time to research and jump at any chance you get for mechinical practice. Work on any car you can. Friends, parents, whatever.

So when you're actually making enough money to afford a K swap you won't have to pay someone to do it.

This is the way to go.

Whatever, don't listen to me. What do I know.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they are cheap, the long blocks are. but if you are looking for all the bling type r and type s stuff then they are expensive. but, the prices are dropping all the time just gotta wait. you can get a k-swap done for cheap but you are gonna have to cut some corners to do it.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:08 PM

i do work in a shop, and ive been with cars since 4 years ago. im a senoir in high school. i think ive been doing quite well on my civic already. what do you mean cut corners... like what?
Old 11-02-2005, 03:15 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: (97spooncivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97spooncivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i do work in a shop, and ive been with cars since 4 years ago. im a senoir in high school. i think ive been doing quite well on my civic already. what do you mean cut corners... like what?</TD></TR></TABLE>Then why would you need someone to install it for you. expletive THAT. expletive THAT ATTITUDE NOW. Drop that ******* attitude.

What he means by cutting corners is that, if you want a K swap to be relatively not expensive (i'm not saying inexpensive, just not super expensive) you will not be able to get the nice parts for it. Like the nice header, kpro, etc...

Remember. You can get a k20a3 conversion for ******* $900 (swear to god, saw it today on k20a.org) BUT you'll need another 2-4grand to get it into your car. Running.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:18 PM

hahah, there is no attitude there. id get dominated by all of you and i kno it. i work in the shop, but i still cant do an entire swap myself. the owner said he can buy and install a b16 for 2 grand. that motor and i think an ls and b20. and for a b18 or h22 i would need 3 grand. thats a pretty shweet deal, but the k series he charges way more
Old 11-02-2005, 03:20 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97spooncivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hahah, there is no attitude there. id get dominated by all of you and i kno it. i work in the shop, but i still cant do an entire swap myself. the owner said he can buy and install a b16 for 2 grand. that motor and i think an ls and b20. and for a b18 or h22 i would need 3 grand. thats a pretty shweet deal, but the k series he charges way more</TD></TR></TABLE>I'm not giving you a hard time. All I'm saying is that start small and do your own ****. Don't start relying on other ppl to do **** for you. You have alot of time and opportunity to get really good at this hobby cause you're young and you work in a shop. Take advantage of that man.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:24 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97spooncivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hahah, there is no attitude there. id get dominated by all of you and i kno it. i work in the shop, but i still cant do an entire swap myself. the owner said he can buy and install a b16 for 2 grand. that motor and i think an ls and b20. and for a b18 or h22 i would need 3 grand. thats a pretty shweet deal, but the k series he charges way more</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can get a Type-S swap (K20A2) for $3.000 or less almost anywhere, with the 6-speed transmission. That's a little more than an average GSR motor and tranny and it comes with 30 more hp and 15 more torque, stock (USDM), and it's lighter.

The expense isn't in the engine, it's in the conversion. If you'd do some research instead of some complaining you'd realize exactly why it costs so much to put one in an older chassis. And if you can't do a whole swap yourself at this point, you have nowhere near enough knowledge or skill to even dream of putting a K-engine in your Civic.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:35 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: What happend to the K Series? (Archidictus)

Well that's another way at approaching this.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: What happend to the K Series? (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well that's another way at approaching this. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm in a good mood right now and don't feel like stretching the new kid's anus too much. Give it time. He'll expletive up again. They all do
Old 11-02-2005, 03:51 PM

dayum guys, go easy on the kid. he just wants a little insight...
Old 11-02-2005, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What happend to the K Series? (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97spooncivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i remember that when the k series came out, everyone was saying that because they are gonna produce so many of them, they are gonna be way cheaper than the b and h series. obviosly this isnt so yet. will this ever happen? </TD></TR></TABLE>

u got to give it some time for the prices to come down, compared to the b and h motors the k hasnt been out for that long yet so they are still pretty expensive.

if you are worried about the money and lack the skills to do the swap, why dont you take an easier route and buy a ls or b20 and learn how to put that in first, those motors run pretty cheap and are basically straight bolt-ins into the civic. its always a good base to start out with so that you can get some experience first. its kinda like what old people always tell you, you gotta learn to walk before you can run. the motor swap isnt hard to do, just do some research and look at the DIY write-ups that people have done and follow that OR since you've been in the shop for about 4 years, why dont you just ask the shop machanics for some guidance while you do the swap???
Old 11-02-2005, 04:01 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: What happend to the K Series? (littlegreenb18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by littlegreenb18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dayum guys, go easy on the kid. he just wants a little insight...</TD></TR></TABLE>Did you read any of our posts? That's ALL sound advice coming from experience.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

16 years old and a senior in high school? is that possible?
Old 11-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97spooncivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hahah, there is no attitude there. id get dominated by all of you and i kno it. i work in the shop, but i still cant do an entire swap myself. the owner said he can buy and install a b16 for 2 grand. that motor and i think an ls and b20. and for a b18 or h22 i would need 3 grand. thats a pretty shweet deal, but the k series he charges way more</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did my first swap at 17, with little or no experience, and just a basic set of tools and an engine lift. Just keep **** organized and it's easy. The wiring would be the only hard part, and even then if you just read up and go about it carefully it wont be too bad. You even work in a shop, so you probably had 10x the experience I had when I started my first swap. Just have a little faith.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (91civicDXdude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91civicDXdude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">16 years old and a senior in high school? is that possible?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was gunna say isnt someone gunna catch on that, i call bs on a senoir maybe a youngin junior
Old 11-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not giving you a hard time. All I'm saying is that start small and do your own ****. Don't start relying on other ppl to do **** for you. You have alot of time and opportunity to get really good at this hobby cause you're young and you work in a shop. Take advantage of that man.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I cannot stress this enough. I ALWAYS used to have people do the work for me, now I try to do everything I can myself, or with friends. You save money, you have fun, and you learn something.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:58 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: What happend to the K Series? (JDM-EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I cannot stress this enough. I ALWAYS used to have people do the work for me, now I try to do everything I can myself, or with friends. You save money, you have fun, and you learn something. </TD></TR></TABLE>I'd like to think that some of that was because of my wisdom.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:00 PM

no, im a senoir. you can check it out. i started early. im turning 17 in a couple of months.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (97spooncivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97spooncivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i do work in a shop, and ive been with cars since 4 years ago. im a senoir in high school. i think ive been doing quite well on my civic already. what do you mean cut corners... like what?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I say you start out with something smaller than going straight to a K. THis way you will have time to gain experience by doing hands on work. Start by working on customers, friends, and family cars. Its good that your getting started at a young age. I did my first swap and boosted my sohc by age 16, so good luck.

BTW: its possible to a 16 year old senior. I was 16 for the first month of my senior year. haha
Old 11-02-2005, 05:04 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: (xtremeazian)

I was a freshman in college at age 17! Swear to God.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was a freshman in college at age 17! Swear to God.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha same here, haha still am a freshmen and just turned 18, haha
Old 11-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91civicDXdude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">16 years old and a senior in high school? is that possible?</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly what i was thinking, doogie howser? is that you?
Old 11-02-2005, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (werd_up)

since yer so young, just wait till yer stock motor dies, and save money while doing so. im sure you'll have enough money by then.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91civicDXdude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">16 years old and a senior in high school? is that possible?</TD></TR></TABLE>\

yes it is. for the firs couple of months of my senior year i was 16 then for the first couple of months in college i was 17. nothing like being in college when you are barely old enough to get a drivers permit. But i still had a car (i had insurance on it so stfu()a family friend does insurance an found a way to put me on a Family plan)

Quick Reply: What happend to the K Series?