Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what are the first mods to get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are the first mods to get?

i am thinking of getting an ek or an eg, and i was wondering what are the common first mods? when i get the car i am going to strip the interior and most likely add a roll cage. other then those mods, what should i add?
thanks in advance.

dom.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Re: what are the first mods to get? (kaws)

stripping the interior is not really a mod, because your just removing stuff. before you tear your interior apart, i would suggest just reading some of the topics in the faq section up top. just to give you general ideas on which direction you would like to do. well the first mods people do anyway are intake, header, exhaust. good luck
Old 05-28-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Re: what are the first mods to get? (Mr.EM1_EK)

how much money do you have to BLOW on this Car.......?
Old 05-28-2007, 03:58 PM

hopefully around 2-3k. i was thinking of some type of motor swap or something. thanks guys.

dom.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: (kaws)

Look in the back of the phone book and start calling all of the import wreckers and ask what a swap for your car is worth....
Old 05-28-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: (heavyhittersclub)

you should buy a b16 swap then find a standard civic to put it in..... AUTO to Stick can be done but requires some actual work.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:02 PM

alright. also i have been working on cars all my life, but not imports, just muscle cars. i was thinking of saving my money and just buy a spoon sports b16. would that be an alright swap?
Old 05-28-2007, 05:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaws &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright. also i have been working on cars all my life, but not imports, just muscle cars. i was thinking of saving my money and just buy a spoon sports b16. would that be an alright swap?</TD></TR></TABLE>

last i heard those crate motors were discontinued. why spend all that money anyway. if your going to spend money like that, buy a type r swap, and save the extra couple grand. if its the b16 you want then search around some junkyards like said up top, or find one online and just build that.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Mr.EM1_EK)

To start, Spoon focuses on endurance and not power. Their motors are basically balanaced/blueprinted stock motors that don't make much more power than stock. My suggestion, buy a helms, save the rest of the money and read everything you can here on Honda-Tech. This way you can find out what will work best for you, as you obviously don't have a clue as to what you're talking about.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:40 PM

I would upgrade the suspension a bit first then focus on more power.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for your 2-3k budget you can up the suspension and put a decent turbo setup on it. Thats what i would personally do. You would have a quick little car that can handle decently.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:04 PM

i wasnt thinking of a turbo, but i dont know. i just want to build my car so that i car keep up with my dads camaros.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaws &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wasnt thinking of a turbo, but i dont know. i just want to build my car so that i car keep up with my dads camaros.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Prob a well-managed boosted D-series motor could keep up, but if you wanna really blow the doors off, research into built LS turbo (b18b motor), that will give them something to be afraid of, hehe.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get an awesome suspension set up and go from there keep the interior for now.. it keeps things nice and quiet
Old 05-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97Ej6mike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
built LS turbo (b18b motor), that will give them something to be afraid of, hehe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 05-29-2007, 06:44 PM

okay, thanks a lot. i have also heard of K20 swaps.
would it be worth it for a K20 and just keep it NA?
Old 05-29-2007, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

K20 swaps are not only very expensive, but are called Hybrid swaps, meaning they werent made to be put into 92-00 civics. This means you will need lots of research and a multitude of parts that will make it work. Your looking at around 7000$ total spent when all is said and done, or close to 10,000+ if you dont plan on doing it yourself (example: having a tuning or specialty shop do it, that sepcializes in hondas, moreso, K swaps.) K series are one of the most hardest swaps to do, aside from the Hybrid H2D or H2b swaps (those are hard cause of fitment and the need for custom Fabbing parts of the bay to make it sit and fit right) The only downside about K-swaps (In my opinion) is the issue of traction. Ive noticed that in just about every video ive seen of a K-swapped Hatch or something, you generall get allot of wheelspin for first, second and third gear. This is due in part that K's are usually swapped into lighter vehicles than what car they had come from ( an ep3, or DC5 generally weigh a little more than EG or EK hatches do). This wheelspin isnt bad, in fact, it can be pretty much eliminated by a nice set of good treads, but say you plan on running on steelies, your going to spin the wheels allot in lower gears if you plan on getting heavy on the gas, due to the fact that your putting an engine in car that it wasnt specifically designed for, but nonetheless its still an awsome swap, fast as hell
Old 05-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Theres a few forum writeups on how to do K swaps, Ill see if i can find it again, and post it here. I remember somewhere either here or JDMcivic.com, someone did a DIY for a K-swap, listed all the parts, tools, and other things needed, and put it all on a thread.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:12 PM

^^
thanks a lot man. that really got me informed. i think i will stick with the b18 swap. is there anything else i should get? wheels? suspension?

thanks in advance.
dom
Old 05-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

I am thinking at this point your "first" mod would be to buy a car first.

Eg's and Ek's are similiar but some things don't interchange. I wouldn't do anything at this point except read, read and then when you think you know alot, Read some more.

Let's just take an Eg for example.

Motors:
D-series all of them but not all are good choices. Get an ex or si so the d16z6 is already there and vtec wired up factory. Good engine harness to have as well.

B-Series, B16, B18 all of them. LS, GSR and Type R. Could do an H22 swap for a medium level DIY or there is the H2B which is a rage now and similiar in price to a Type R swap money wise.

Boost but we will leave that for now since you have to read alot first. http://www.homemadeturbo.com for good reading material.

K - yeah no.

Like said. Brakes then suspension that is a good order to start mods. Safety then comfort.

Read the faq section. Lots of good material.

Welcome to H-T noob.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:20 PM

alright. i really appreciate all you guys have told me. thanks a lot.

dom.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:24 PM

welcome to h-t
Old 05-29-2007, 07:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaws &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright. i really appreciate all you guys have told me. thanks a lot.

dom.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And yeah man, if you want to hang with your dad's Camaro, you've got a LONG LONG road ahead of you. EG's and EK's are econoboxes. A Camaro is a full-blooded muscle car. You'll be at the edge of streetability while that Camaro will still get 30 MPG on the freeway!

If you want to use an EG or EK for what it's meant for, do things in this order:

Brakes
Suspension
Power

You'll have so much more fun that way.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:48 PM

lol.
thanks,
not to mention my moms camaro is a 1967 rs and my dads is a 1967 true ss. ill probably keep up with my moms but not my dads, he has a 650+ h racing engine. lol. that thing can compete with the old trans am races. he just takes it out when he wants to kill the usual street racers. haha.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Welcome to h-t ... what are your plans for the car is it going to be your Daily Driver... Track Car? . . Circuit Car...?

Quick Reply: what are the first mods to get?