blox velocity stack
blox air cleaner
benen fuel rail
b&m fuel pressure reg
b&m fuel gauge
dc sports 4-1 header
Mugen twin loop catback with magnaflow high flow cat

This is what I'm currently running:
P06 with obd1 conversion harness, chipped with chrome.

Problem is its not running that well, idles kind of rough and fuel pressure is low (around 37)

Last edited by mikeivb; 11-25-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what ECU - JDM B18C with mods

fuel pressure is a bit low, but should be OK... I'd check for a tune-up and/or retune.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you just running on a base map tune?
Old 11-24-2009, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by YANG_JDM
Are you just running on a base map tune?
do u know how I can check?
Old 11-24-2009, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Gunmetal_B20_Hatch
fuel pressure is a bit low, but should be OK... I'd check for a tune-up and/or retune.
I know I need a retune, but I want to spent as little as possible right now just to get it running smoothly to get me through the next few months...
Old 11-24-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go to www.pgmfi.org. and download crome for free on your cpu and look at the basemap for that motor. and it you have the stuff plug a cpu into your ecu and pull the map and compare.
use that allen head on the top of the FPR and turn it up
Old 11-24-2009, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by rick_rabies
go to www.pgmfi.org. and download crome for free on your cpu and look at the basemap for that motor. and it you have the stuff plug a cpu into your ecu and pull the map and compare.
use that allen head on the top of the FPR and turn it up
what kind of plug would I need?
Old 11-24-2009, 09:28 AM
I'm not Rick!

are you using chips
or are you using an emulator like the ostrich 2.0v?
if its a chip then...you would need alot more.
but let it idle and adjust the fuel pressure a tad bit. how does it run when your on the gas?
Old 11-24-2009, 09:43 AM

are you using chips
or are you using an emulator like the ostrich 2.0v?
if its a chip then...you would need alot more.
but let it idle and adjust the fuel pressure a tad bit. how does it run when your on the gas?
unforunately i think its a chip... i'm new to this so am not that knowledgeable... i'm waiting for dry weather and a friend of a friend who has all the software, chip burner,etc to help tune, but in the meantime I was hoping for a quick fix, to get it running smoothly, as it doesnt look like the weather in vancouver is goign to dry out anytime soon

i know someone who is selling a stock ITR P73 ecu for pretty cheap, i'm wondering if that would smooth things out temporarily..

when i'm on the gas its not too bad, not as bad as when idling.. but i dont want to push it too much without a good tune
Old 11-24-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm not Rick!

do you have a wideband?
it should be kinda rich when cold 10-13
warm at idle 14.7
when cruising 13-15
in boost realy jamming on it it should be under 12.5.
if i was you id get a stock ecu asap just to have. and leave it stock. i always keep a stock ecu for backup
Old 11-24-2009, 09:55 AM

do you have a wideband?
it should be kinda rich when cold 10-13
warm at idle 14.7
when cruising 13-15
in boost realy jamming on it it should be under 12.5.
if i was you id get a stock ecu asap just to have. and leave it stock. i always keep a stock ecu for backup
I dont have a wideband, but i was thinking of getting one in early spring to help with tuning.

for 97 JDM B18C, P72 OBD2?
Old 11-24-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm not Rick!

itr ecu would prolly work better (as in stock)
but there is a guy on that can make you a chip for $30 according to your mods.
itl prolly run better but it wouldnt be dead on the spot.
check it out.
http://www.xenocron.com/
Old 11-24-2009, 02:17 PM

itr ecu would prolly work better (as in stock)
but there is a guy on that can make you a chip for $30 according to your mods.
itl prolly run better but it wouldnt be dead on the spot.
check it out.
http://www.xenocron.com/

thanks for the advice... do you think a stock gsr ecu will be ok to run with the mods i have?
Old 11-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mikeivb
thanks for the advice... do you think a stock gsr ecu will be ok to run with the mods i have?
it will handle them ok, but to get the most out of them and to keep the car running correctly tune it.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what about datalogging? Wouldn't you be able to get what you need to tell if you're running ok that way? You can solder in a 4 pin header, jump a connection and use a phone data cable to read the data if you download an application from the internet. If you get the cable off eBay, it will be like $3.
I haven't tested it, but for $3, it's worth trying.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A stock ANYTHING is not going to be "ok" for you to run.. Come on. You dramatically increased the air/fuel flow characteristics of this engine and now you have questions if you can cheap out for the time being and get away with a stock ECU? Negative. You need to get some money together and tune it. If you can't tune it either park it or return it to stock so your stock ECU will suffice and call it a day. I still to this day don't understand why people spend all this money on mods only to cheap out in the end on the most important item of all.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hybrid96EK
A stock ANYTHING is not going to be "ok" for you to run.. Come on. You dramatically increased the air/fuel flow characteristics of this engine and now you have questions if you can cheap out for the time being and get away with a stock ECU? Negative. You need to get some money together and tune it. If you can't tune it either park it or return it to stock so your stock ECU will suffice and call it a day. I still to this day don't understand why people spend all this money on mods only to cheap out in the end on the most important item of all.
I am planning on getting it tuned, but not for a few more weeks or so...i have a friend of a friend who can do it, just not sure how soon... for the time being i'm not driving it as much, but unfortunately its the only car i have.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You'll need a wide band O2 to tune it, and it wouldn't be bad to have it after that. Scrounge up the money and install that, then up the fuel pressure to be within what Rick Rabies posted. It's not the right way to tune, but it's a little better.

Hondas run notoriously rich, so you may be able to get away with how you are now. The wide band O2 is the only way to tell if you are or not though. I don't think the JDM B18C had a knock sensor, so it won't retard the timing if you're getting detonation.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by thumper64
You'll need a wide band O2 to tune it, and it wouldn't be bad to have it after that. Scrounge up the money and install that, then up the fuel pressure to be within what Rick Rabies posted. It's not the right way to tune, but it's a little better.

Hondas run notoriously rich, so you may be able to get away with how you are now. The wide band O2 is the only way to tell if you are or not though. I don't think the JDM B18C had a knock sensor, so it won't retard the timing if you're getting detonation.
Well i'm hoping to get an AEM FIC with Wideband and have i tuned before I push it early next year.

in the meantime I have a friend of a friend who's going to help me burn a better chip, hopefully the rain will stop
Old 11-25-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm not Rick!

yeah after a chip, you wont have much fun in the rain. i dont even bother bringn it out in the rain. 1st and 2nd with turbo just spin like a ****.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is what I don't understand... You have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, your idle is rough and your fuel pressure is low...

My question is why haven't you adjusted your adjustable fuel pressure regulator? You do realize your rough idle is more than likely caused by your fuel pressure or lack of, right?

You could get that motor running pretty decent with a stock ECU just by playing with fuel pressure and advancing your timing via the distributor. You haven't really done anything significant to that engine. Keep it simple, use a stock ECU and a VAFC, use a wideband to tune it and be done.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Koopa Troopa
This is what I don't understand... You have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, your idle is rough and your fuel pressure is low...

My question is why haven't you adjusted your adjustable fuel pressure regulator? You do realize your rough idle is more than likely caused by your fuel pressure or lack of, right?

You could get that motor running pretty decent with a stock ECU just by playing with fuel pressure and advancing your timing via the distributor. You haven't really done anything significant to that engine. Keep it simple, use a stock ECU and a VAFC, use a wideband to tune it and be done.
Adjustable fuel pressure regulators and VAFC's are complete garbage. Do things right or don't do them at all.

Advancing the distributor will change the whole map. high cam and low cam. Not the smart thing to do especially if you don't even know if the engine wants more timing. Come on. Advance the timing with your stock ECU so the car starts picking up knock with the knock sensor and pulls twice what you put in. Sounds real smart, no?

All these tuning experts chiming in about the 'low' fuel pressure.. Does anyone have a manual where they can verify what the fuel pressure SHOULD be? Of course not. Everyone just assumes its 'low'. The manual for the 98-01 GSR specifies 47psi *WITH THE VAC LINE OFF* which would be ~37psi with the line on. Imagine that! So you still think just cranking the fuel pressure up, which BTW stresses the fuel pump, and tossing some timing in there is going to solve the problem?
Old 11-27-2009, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Koopa Troopa

me and a friend are going to be checking out the fuel-pressure next weekend, when I get the P72 ECU that I ordered... I'm going to try to purchase myself a wideband soon..
Old 11-27-2009, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

me and a friend are going to be checking out the fuel-pressure next weekend, when I get the P72 ECU that I ordered... I'm going to try to purchase myself a wideband soon..
The ECU has nothing to do with fuel pressure...
Old 11-27-2009, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

JDM p73!!!

Quick Reply: what ECU - JDM B18C with mods