Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What do you think of this civic im lookin at?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think of this civic im lookin at?

http://southjersey.craigslist.....html

Im lookin at gettin rid of my 99 ES300 for gas reasons.
I really like this but have some questions.
What kinda motor is this? GSR?
Also what kinda mpgs do u think it would get and how reliable would it be?

I know these are stupid questions but im only 16 with no job so i need a car thats reliable and gets good gas mileage.

Also after all this **** on the car was expletiveed wit do u still think the airbag works? Nother gay question but the parents dont want me havin a car witout one.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you think of this civic im lookin at? (JDMTURTLE)

a b16a is an si engine. but i think he still has his b16b (type r) head on it. anyway...you wont get 30mpg with that. if you're concerned about gas...you should just buy a d16y7 or y8.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:23 PM

not too worried about 30mpgs just somewhere in low to mid 20s kuz im gettin like 16 in the current car.
Any more input is very appreciated. And overall does it look like a good deal?
Old 02-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMTURTLE)

Building a car is better then buying it built. Buy a stock civic and build it. Im only 16 and I sold my camaro for gas issues, and bought my dream car, civic sedan. Now im building it to my liking. gl
Old 02-12-2008, 04:53 PM
washuuu

Keep the lex son!

lex = girlies on you

civic = teenage boys on you
Old 02-12-2008, 04:59 PM

Default Re: What do you think of this civic im lookin at? (mistersparco)

So true. My girl hates my civic and all I get is looks from guys.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:01 PM

Default Re: What do you think of this civic im lookin at? (MurdersV8s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MurdersV8s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So true. My girl hates my civic and all I get is looks from guys.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Couldn't have said it better myself
Old 02-12-2008, 05:05 PM

You do realize that the ES300 is a rebadged Camry right?
Old 02-12-2008, 05:09 PM
washuuu

Default Re: What do you think of this civic im lookin at? (svensko)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by svensko &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You do realize that the ES300 is a rebadged Camry right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ninja edit
Old 02-12-2008, 05:13 PM

I'm just saying, any girl that solely gives you attention due to your luxury Camry is bound to find better things to do once she realizes it's the same car her mom drives.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you think of this civic im lookin at? (svensko)

what ever happened to the days when guys wanted to pick up girls who weren't all in it for what the guy has, but what he can give? Buy a honda.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:36 PM

Default Re: What do you think of this civic im lookin at? (fowrdowr)

But dawg u can get liek 5 grrls all over ur lexus that ur mom paid 4, ain't nothing wrong wit that!!!!!!! (ps i'm only 15)
Old 02-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that looks like a great car for your parents to waste their money on.

that car looks like it should be in alabama
Old 02-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt buy a car that modded personally because theres always ALWAYS underlying problems.

on a side note, my wife called me the other day while driving behind me in my coupe and said "you look so good driving that i wanna go home and get naked".

so there goes that theory.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wouldnt buy a car that modded personally because theres always ALWAYS underlying problems.

on a side note, my wife called me the other day while driving behind me in my coupe and said "you look so good driving that i wanna go home and get naked".

so there goes that theory.</TD></TR></TABLE>

She didn't say with you!

Old 02-12-2008, 06:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wouldnt buy a car that modded personally because theres always ALWAYS underlying problems.

so there goes that theory.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2 for the not buying a modded car as a dd. it's just asking for problems since he had to do recent block work... what else could have been done.
it also looks like some thieves could and would have a ballgame with that car

and x3 for the other part. my girlfriend can hear my car from about a mile away when i'm going to her house so she knows what's up
Old 02-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Shenanigans

meh its ok...i dont like the paint job and the rims look goofy on anything &gt; 5th gen imo but i wouldnt pay 7,500
Old 02-12-2008, 08:57 PM

Default Re: What do you think of this civic im lookin at? (lil_kev)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lil_kev &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a b16a is an si engine. but i think he still has his b16b (type r) head on it. anyway...you wont get 30mpg with that. if you're concerned about gas...you should just buy a d16y7 or y8. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've seen a few 5-700hp cars fully tuned still make 32mpg.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:13 AM

Whats funny is that my girl loved my em1, but hates my eh3. Everytime I spend money on my hatch she asks when I'm going back to the mustangs.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MurdersV8s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MurdersV8s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whats funny is that my girl loved my em1, but hates my eh3. Everytime I spend money on my hatch she asks when I'm going back to the mustangs. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was in a similar situation, my girlfriend despised my eg sedan. Always asked me why I didn't get a better car.

I kicked her to the curb
Old 02-13-2008, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (imbillkamal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by imbillkamal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I was in a similar situation, my girlfriend despised my eg sedan. Always asked me why I didn't get a better car.

I kicked her to the curb </TD></TR></TABLE>

LoL.Yup.Girls will always be jealous of our cars.Cuz we put more money into our cars body than her body!
Old 02-13-2008, 06:37 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (mortificationrock)

Wow I opened up a topic in hopes of some tech talk, and all I see if bullshit girl like car X/hates car Y talk.

IF YOU NEED A PARTICULAR TYPE OF CAR TO PULL CHICKS THEN YOU ARE A FUUCKING LAMER WITH NO GAME!!!

Having said that...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMTURTLE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What kinda motor is this? GSR?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Looks like it's a B16A block with B16B head, so basically a B16A.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also what kinda mpgs do u think it would get and how reliable would it be?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Never can tell. Some swaps get stock-type mpg in the 30's, but if this one has issues, and I guarantee it does, it could get shitty mpg in the teens.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know these are stupid questions but im only 16 with no job so i need a car thats reliable and gets good gas mileage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you want reliable I'd stay away from this car.

"Why?"

Well first of all this guy who has the car is full of ****, or so ignorant that he doesn't even know what he has. From his craiglist he says:

"WAS A ((B16B CIVIC TYPE-R)) BLOCK SPIT OUT A ROD.. NOW GOT A B16A BLOCK BUT ALL B16B ITEMS NEW OEM B16B PISTONT N RODS"

Well guess what? Stock B16B rods won't even work in a B16A block!!! Like I said, lying and/or stupid.

The car seems like it has some nice stuff, but a guy looking to trade the car for one with "hydros" and the fact that he's already blown one engine up tells me that this car is probably a beater with nice seats and wheels.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also after all this **** on the car was expletiveed wit do u still think the airbag works? Nother gay question but the parents dont want me havin a car witout one. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good for your parents for wanting you to have a car with airbags. You're 16, and you may have a serious accident some day, your fault or not, and the airbag might save your life. There have been many H-Ters who have their seatbelts and airbags to thank for their lives.

Unless you're working and saving up money to pay for the car, the insurance, etc. then I'd go along with any stipulations that your parents have for what car they want you in.

Good luck man! Find a stock 99-00 Civic Si and stay away from beat stuff like this one!
Old 02-13-2008, 06:38 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (mortificationrock)

Yeah man since you are 16 and don't have a job i.e. funds, I wouldn't buy a modded car because if it's modded then they probably drove hard. If you want a civic find one a soccer mom was driving and buy it from them. Then you can do what the expletive you want to it and it will be ten times more reliable than that $7500 OMG! fake Si!!!!
Old 02-13-2008, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by schardbody
i wouldnt buy a car that modded personally because theres always ALWAYS underlying problems.

so there goes that theory.
She could have wanted to take a shower (alone) after seeing that thing .

Originally Posted by Rbehne2

I've seen a few 5-700hp cars fully tuned still make 32mpg.
My dick is 27.35"

The only way for a 4 banger civic to reach 5-700hp is with a turbo. Obviously a big turbo, at that.

So what are your options, A) You can shift before your turbo even remotely begins to start spooling, or B) You can just leave the wastegate all the way open until you want to race - in which case you wouldn't be making 5-700hp.

Summarized: No. You're talking about "a ricer's wet dream" - "I got ownage gas mileage and 500hp" - Yes, you do, but by the time you're hitting 5-700hp you're consuming twice the gas an LS1 would. I fail to see the point.

Originally Posted by MurdersV8s
Whats funny is that my girl loved my em1, but hates my eh3. Everytime I spend money on my hatch she asks when I'm going back to the mustangs.
I like Hondas, I really do, but in all honesty, girls don't care about them as being "nice looking at all." They rather have their guy driving a corvette or Mustang GT over a civic or integra, any day. This applies to MOST girls (not all) that care about what kind of car their guy drives. I hate the Mustang GT, but in all honesty it has a higher sex appeal than a '92 DX.

Originally Posted by JDMTURTLE
http://southjersey.craigslist.....html

Im lookin at gettin rid of my 99 ES300 for gas reasons.
I really like this but have some questions.
What kinda motor is this? GSR?
Also what kinda mpgs do u think it would get and how reliable would it be?

I know these are stupid questions but im only 16 with no job so i need a car thats reliable and gets good gas mileage.

Also after all this **** on the car was expletiveed wit do u still think the airbag works? Nother gay question but the parents dont want me havin a car witout one.
Keep the ES300.

I'll skip the part about where the Lexi are pimp.

Your insurance won't change - if anything it'll go up because due to the fact of more idiot ricers buying Si's and doing landscaping or tree removal with them (or attempting said tree removal) plus the fact that they have like, the highest thievery rate out of any car in the U.S. - Say "hi" to high insurance premiums!

Then on top of that you pay a rip off price ($7500 is a lot for that car) for a CTR that feels...exactly like the B16A that comes stock - unless you pin it to the redline.

So you'll pay $7500 for A) Higher insurance, B) Due to the short transmission gearing, unless your trip to work is all NOT HIGHWAY, your gas mileage won't improve drastically, C) It'll feel like every other B16A/B - which is much like a Z6 before 4000 RPM.

So let me get this straight:
You want to know if you think you should pay that rather high price for a most likely higher insurance premium on a car that barely gets better gas mileage than the last and feels like a stock '92 Si if you're not beating the **** out of it like a $2 crackwhore so you can lose more sleep over worrying about people jacking your car and degrade your social class by about 4 or 5 solid rankings?

No.

What do I mean by social class?

When you tell people you drive a Honda, they think you need to out of necessity because obviously you can't afford a better car. When you tell somebody you drive a "souped up" honda or "modded honda" - they think you're a pathetic ricer. Though when you tell somebody you drive a Lexus, champaign falls from the heavens, velvet curtains part, and most importantly, you'll be taking that cute girl home tonight WITHOUT the alcohol.

Top gear: Season 5, ep 6 - said it best:

Hammond: So can we just get this straight then - the Honda Civic Type R is faster...
Jermey: Oh yes..
Hammond: right, and significantly cheaper..
Jermey: oh - much cheaper
Hammond: right, and you're still saying that the golf (GTI MKV) is the best, right?
Jermey: Yes, because you see, if you buy a Honda...you end up...with a Honda.
*crowd laughs*
Jermey: You buy a volkswagen, you don't. Honestly everything into consideration - not just performance, but everything, this car (pointing to GTI) is a sensation.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:30 AM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

The plural of Lexus is Lexus

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Despite the official pluralized form of Lexus being simply Lexus, the public has also made its own derivatives (the most popular derivative being 'Lexi').</TD></TR></TABLE>

Also, I honestly doubt that going from a decade old rebadged Camry to a Civic is going to have little, if any affect on your social status. It would be different if you were talking about an 08 Lexus LS460 or something but you're talking about a front wheel drive econobox that someone overpaid for 10 years ago just to get leather and heated seats.

Any girl that goes home with you just because you're driving a Lexus instead of a Civic probably isn't worth taking home.

The only Lexus that moderately impress me (if a teen is driving it) are the LS400, SC300/400 and GS300/400. If I found out the fool is driving a ES300 and bragging about it, all I can think to me self is "This guy just paid WAY too much for a Camry. "

Also, comparing one of the trendiest cars around, a VW, to a 10 year old rebadged econobox is NOT a fair comparison.

If your friends judge you that harshly based on what you drive then please, find some new friends or just get out of high school already.

Quick Reply: What do you think of this civic im lookin at?