Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What do you have on your Sol? Coilover set or shock / spring combo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you have on your Sol? Coilover set or shock / spring combo?

Been reading into some suspension setups recently as I'm trying to lower my car to get rid of wheel gap.

And I've seen ALOT of different opinions - but not many first hand experience with setups.

So, what do you have on your car? A full suspension coilover set? Or did you mix and match shocks / springs?

I'm looking for something that will give me ride hieght adjustability, something that isn't bouncy, and durability is defenatly the most important thing.

I don't wanna go blow $800 on suspension and have it go out in 10k miles -.-

Anyway, whats your guys' experience with differnt setups? Or what could you recomend from first hand experience?

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:34 AM

Default Re: What do you have on your Sol? Coilover set or shock / spring combo? (coffman08)

I have the tokico illuminas/ GC mix on my Sol.

So far its been a nice comfortable ride, the illuminas are 5-way adjustable which is a +. The only thing that I didn't know was that you need to take a few things off your stock struts and move them over to the illuminas, also you will need to cut the dust covers which was not hard but just tedious (good thing i had a dremel).
The GC comes with custom spring rates and are height adjustable, and they can go pretty low, if that is what you are into. Personally i just have them at a 1 1/2 finger gap.

This set up is nice for dd with a little bit of a kick

I paid ~700 for this set up brand new, haven't had any experience with any other suspension set ups on my del sol, but I don't think im going to be changing it anytime soon either.

GL with your decision
Old 09-11-2007, 05:43 AM

Default Re: What do you have on your Sol? Coilover set or shock / spring combo? (blk2mid2sol)

Yeah thanks for the reply, I was considering doing Koni yellows + GC - but again haven't really talked to anyone with fist hand experience so, I'm still up in the air about it.

And I don't plan on slammin' the car, just lowering it to minimize wheel gap -.-

Anyone else with a differnt setup for DD?
Old 09-11-2007, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you have on your Sol? Coilover set or shock / spring combo? (coffman08)

I have an H&R cup kit (H&R springs w/ matched konis) on my sol for 3 years now, and I'm very pleased with it...I considered going with coil-overs for the adjustability, but was convinced that I really wouldn't need to change my set-up as often as I first thought... these are somewhat adjustable, but I haven't needed to change em...I had Eibach springs and Tokico illuminas on a different car, and I like the H&Rs better, but that was a different car (non-honda)
Old 09-11-2007, 06:19 AM

Default Re: What do you have on your Sol? Coilover set or shock / spring combo? (De La Soul)

Thanks for the link, do these have adjustable hieght? What about a warrenty?

Which set are you rockin' tuning or sport?

Thanks alot for your input, keep them commin' guys!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, damping/height adj. ...looks like they only offer the sport cup kit for the sol... the place I got em was alot cheaper than listed (about $800 3 yrs ago) and I can't remember if they offered a warranty, tho H&R does have a good rep
Old 09-11-2007, 07:01 AM

Default Re: What do you have on your Sol? Coilover set or shock / spring combo? (De La Soul)

Thanks, little out of my price range for now, looking to spend around $800 hopefully less, depends on how long it takes me to make up my mind, each passing week is more in the wallet
Old 09-11-2007, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been looking to do some suspension work myself, most of the info i've found is highly bias and opinionated, best bet is finding a buddy with some suspension work done and riding along.

I personally haven't made up my mind eaither, but Koni / GC seems to be what everyone is saying.

Just my .02, I'd like to see some other peoples setups as well