Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What to do?? New DC Sports cat-back just broke in half while driving????????

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 08:56 PM
In The Garage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to do?? New DC Sports cat-back just broke in half while driving????????

Ok, this exhaust is less than a month old. I was driving around the other night, and my car started to get a bit louder, then, it got really loud and started making a scraping sound. I'm thinking, "damn, the bolts came out of the cat, how the hell did that happen?"
So, i pull over, look under the car, and the damn thing broke right at the resonator. I didn't hit any bumps, never scraped it on anything, bottomed out, etc. It just f*ckin broke.
I can't decide whether to take it to the local performance shop and have it TIG welded back together, or call up DC Sports and tell them to deal with it. I know they have pretty good customer service, but damn, my car is not driveable right now, and i have to have it.
Supposing I get it welded back, and then call DC. do you guys think they would do anything then? I hate to just suck up the charges to have it fixed, but i need my car. What would you guys do? Heres some pics:

the exhaust is on a 94 civic cx. thanks,

-Shawn
Old 11-09-2003, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What to do?? New DC Sports cat-back just broke in half while driving???????? (ShadyED9)

i say call dc, if that doesnt work then take it to the shop
Old 11-09-2003, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to do?? New DC Sports cat-back just broke in half while driving???????? (MonKey Magic)

yeah i say call dc first and show them the pics minus the thumbs down pic, they would hate to have a nightmare like this show up on message boards..
Old 11-09-2003, 10:11 PM
In The Garage

yes, i know they would hate for something to show up on honda-tech about this. that would really suck for them.

DC Sports is a very good company though, IMO. I had their intake, header and cat-back on my older accord, and never had any problems.

if they would give an e-mail address on their website for customer support, i was going to send them the pics, but NOOOOO...

the thumbsdown is really just for my whole situation. i need to get it fixed tomorrow, but i'm afraid if i get it re-welded (even TIGed), they will void my warranty (if i have one).

I dunno, maybe i'll just get it fixed, suck it up, and forget about it..... *shrugs*
Old 11-09-2003, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ShadyED9)

On the topic of DC Sports...they sent my o2 ext harness to the wrong address, so I didnt get it till the wkend after....and I paid for 3 day shipping.
Havent called them yet, since it's only a 10 dollars or less difference, but I got the fast shipping so my car could be worked on THAT wkend.

Good luck on calling them up, let us know how it goes....
Old 11-09-2003, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nihonjin)

That sucks! I just saw that exact same thing happen to a Tanabe SHM on a 92 Integra. In the exact same place.

Manufacture defect...send that **** back!
Old 11-09-2003, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (D16Z6racing)

don't touch it that would be a great excuse for them to not do anything about it. i call them
Old 11-10-2003, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to do?? New DC Sports cat-back just broke in half while driving???????? (ShadyED9)

i'd call DC or go to a muffler shop and weld it...
Old 11-10-2003, 05:04 AM
In The Garage

Default Re: What to do?? New DC Sports cat-back just broke in half while driving???????? (sohc_vtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohc_vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'd call DC or go to a muffler shop and weld it...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Captain Obvious Strikes Again!!!
thanks for the novel idea. I'm planning on calling them when they open ~10 am my time.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:14 AM

Default Re: What to do?? New DC Sports cat-back just broke in half while driving???????? (sohc_vtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohc_vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'd call DC or go to a muffler shop and weld it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude.. how'd you think to do that? you must be a genius.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:56 AM
In The Garage

ok, just talked with charlie at DC, really nice guy. I'm gonna send him some correspondence about my purchase, etc. and we'll see what happens about it.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:03 AM
opi
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ShadyED9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, just talked with charlie at DC, really nice guy. I'm gonna send him some correspondence about my purchase, etc. and we'll see what happens about it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's good to hear, hopefully that works out for you. Until then, your gonna have to slap on that stock exhaust to drive around good luck, and let us know if DC takes care of you...
Old 11-10-2003, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to do?? New DC Sports cat-back just broke in half while driving???????? (jwn7)

because the same **** happened to my muffler..broke off at the same spot..just that mines was a tanabe..called them up and recieved a new piece..
Old 11-10-2003, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what a peice of ****
Old 11-10-2003, 01:19 PM

Shawn! What are you doing man! ****, remind me never to let you drive my car lol! JK Call DC, make sure you have a receipt and that you bought it from an authorized dealer within the last year or they wont do ****! Gimmie a call sometime, I havent heard from you in a MINUTE!
Old 11-10-2003, 01:51 PM
u0f

that happend to my old magnaflow catback and i just had the muffler place put a pipe in place of the resonator. it was like 40$..
Old 11-10-2003, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The welds on thier exhaust suck dick..
I had to send my DC Twin loop back because the welds were all jacked up...
Old 11-10-2003, 05:34 PM

Default Re: (ChadB)

DC Sports are excellent on customer service, had problem with mine when I first got it, clearence problem, I'm in Canada and withing 5 days I had the parts needed with the appropriate gaskets and a bunch of stickers, they were kool back in days.

I would just call them, there quick on customer service.

Mine is 3 years old and been thru one winter, and still fine.

They even wrote me a letter when I got pulled over for improper muffler, and I won my court case.

Jonathan
Old 11-10-2003, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, damn that sux. Yeah i agree with the others, i would call dc first. Why not use your stock exhaust until this problem is resolved?, or did you trash it?
Old 11-10-2003, 05:45 PM
In The Garage

well this sounds good. the place the exhaust was bought is closed on mondays, so i'm gonna get them to send me a copy of my receipt tomorrow (can't find mine), and fax it to charlie. i hope this works out.....

Trenton- whats up man? i swear i have the most godawful luck w/ cars, but damnit i keep trying. i'll get the hang of this honda thing sooner or later. on another note, brian (Plan B on here, Dr. Shadenstein on ImportLounge) and I are setting up an ATL meet pretty soon (we're thinking Dec. 13th), so make sure the carolina crew is up for it. it's gonna be like an out-of-towner's meet, plus i don't want to wait until april to see mah ninjas. holla

-Shawn
Old 11-10-2003, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. take it back to the shop you bought it from. see what they say, most handle the returns and will order you another one in the mean time..

2. if they wont deal with it, call DC let them know what happened and also let them know what shop you bought it from who would not deal with the problem and make sure you make it clear how mad you are that this shop would not deal with the problem.

3. never go back to that shop, who knows what else they will not help you with in returns..
Old 11-10-2003, 07:04 PM

If you REALLY need the car, then you have no choice but to just get it fixed at your local shop.
It's just a simple weld. If you can afford that exhaust, you can afford a minor welding job.
But what it really comes down to is how much you really need your car to be driveable and how soon.
Chances are even if you contact DC Sports and get a response intending a resolution, you'll probably have to send them your receipt or proof of purchase, then they're going to want to know who installed the system, then they'll probably ask you to "send the defective product to the following address," and after all that, chances are they won't send you a new one via 1-day shipping, and you'll have to wait for it to come in the mail God knows how long.

Just get it fixed if you need the car.
Heck, if it's an emergency...Drive it straight header.
Eff the cat-back
Old 11-10-2003, 07:04 PM
In The Garage

i would deal through the shop, except for the fact that the shop is in north carolina, and i'm in alabama. i was hoping that dc would just replace the piece so that i can get back on the road. we'll see...
Old 11-10-2003, 07:21 PM

I bought a 4-1 header from them and it leaked a little from the lower mounting flange.. It was only days old at this time. I called them right away and they seemed cool.... needed to get all info like receipt etc... and since I am local to them, I asked if I could just go exchange it... but they wanted me to remove it from my car so they could repair it and mail it back to me at my expense..... I just hit it with a spot weld and it's fine now.... Just wanted to let you know how they handled my situation.

Old 11-10-2003, 10:15 PM
In The Garage

hrmmm, well, i don't have time to send them my pipe(s) for re-welding. plus, i left my stock exhaust in NC, so thats out of the question. If they don't want to just send me a new b-pipe, then I'll have to re-think some stuff about them. we'll see. so far they've always been really good to me. hell, i've been a customer for like 5 years now.

Quick Reply: What to do?? New DC Sports cat-back just broke in half while driving????????