Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what do i have to watch out for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do i have to watch out for?

sup guys. this sunday i will be going to go check out a 99 si and might trade with my bike. http://losangeles.craigslist.o....html
i was hoping maybe u guys can tell me what i need to look out for on a used civic si with 90k miels on it. i need to pick up a reliable car since i dont have time/money to fix the car all the time to have it run smoothly. only thing is this car has a salv title due to theft. he claims that it was only the interior parts that were stolen and not the engine. so if there are any advice on picking up used si pls feel free to post here. also if anyone is interested in trading their car for a bike, let me know with info on what kinda car,list of mods, replaced parts etc. thanks!
Old 12-07-2007, 11:15 PM

Default Re: what do i have to watch out for? (sho_gansan)

check the vin numbers on the transmission and engine if they match the body's vin number. check any knocking sounds from the valves, block, any oil leaks and above all any records if swap was made to car.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:19 PM

Default Re: what do i have to watch out for? (bara6075)

Actually, he lying. You can not get a salvaged title from Vehicle Theft Recovery in California; only in Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma, and Oregon.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:22 PM

Default Re: what do i have to watch out for? (djessenz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djessenz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actually, he lying. You can not get a salvaged title from Vehicle Theft Recovery in California; only in Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma, and Oregon.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
any proof of this?
Old 12-07-2007, 11:25 PM

Default Re: what do i have to watch out for? (EGwhat!!!)

yea.. any proof regarding your statement? i dont want to start accusing without proper info,proof.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:27 PM

Yes, actually, http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr_info.htm#BM2530

" Definition of a salvage vehicle.

A salvage vehicle is a vehicle that has been wrecked, destroyed, or damaged to such extent that the insurance company considers it uneconomical to make repairs to the vehicle and the vehicle is not repaired by or for the person who owned the vehicle when the damage occurred.

The California title will contain a notation identifying this vehicle as a salvage vehicle."

See, unless they broke in, vandalized your entire car, got hammers and dented your 1/4 panels, fenders, and bumpers, you don't have a salvage title.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:34 PM

hmm.. something to look into because i see that lot of ppl on the car sales forum is also stating that their car is salv due to theft.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:37 PM

Best thing to do is run a Carfax report, shouldn't be more than $30. It should tell you what kind of accident it has been in and other related info to the title, and all previous owners etc...
Old 12-07-2007, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by djessenz
Yes, actually, http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr_info.htm#BM2530

" Definition of a salvage vehicle.

A salvage vehicle is a vehicle that has been wrecked, destroyed, or damaged to such extent that the insurance company considers it uneconomical to make repairs to the vehicle and the vehicle is not repaired by or for the person who owned the vehicle when the damage occurred.

The California title will contain a notation identifying this vehicle as a salvage vehicle."

See, unless they broke in, vandalized your entire car, got hammers and dented your 1/4 panels, fenders, and bumpers, you don't have a salvage title.
here is another definition
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Branded Titles- Look Before You Buy
Title Brands-Where To Look

A "brand" is wording on a Certificate of Title or registration card that indicates certain conditions in the vehicle's history. Most states put history brands somewhere on their titles and the wording varies from state to state (for example; Totaled, Reconditioned, Salvaged, Junked, Damaged, Rebuilt, Warranty Returned).

Although California has indicated prior history on titling documents for many years, vehicle history information is more prominently displayed on the latest revision of both the Certificate of Title and Salvage Certificate in a red box near the upper right-hand corner of the document.
Close-up of California Certificate of Title, Vehicle History box.
Why Brands Are Important to Consumers

Brands indicate what has happened to a vehicle in the past. They can indicate high mileage, significant damage, or chronic problems.
What Conditions Require a Brand?

The following brands are placed on California vehicle titles and DMV records:

Salvaged-Vehicles marked with a "salvaged" brand were involved in an accident or incurred considerable damage from another source, such as a flood or vandalism. This brand includes previously dismantled (junked) vehicles.

Original Taxi or Prior Taxi--Vehicles formerly used "For Hire" which usually have high mileage.

Original Police or Prior Police-Vehicles formerly used by law enforcement and which usually have high mileage.

Non-USA-Vehicles manufactured for use and sale outside the United States which have been converted to meet Federal and California safety and emissions standards.

Warranty Return or Lemon Law Buyback-Vehicles which have been returned to the manufacturer under California's Lemon Law.

Remanufactured-Vehicles constructed by a licensed remanufacturer and consisting of used or reconditioned parts. These vehicles may be sold under a distinctive trade name.
Salvage Vehicles

Of all the vehicle brands, Salvaged has received the most attention in the past few years.

The California Department of Consumer Affairs found that more than 700,000 structurally damaged and 150,000 salvaged vehicles are returned to streets and highways every year without a safety inspection, and pose a potential hazard to all of the state's motorists.

A Salvage Vehicle is a vehicle that has been wrecked or damaged to such an extent that it is considered too expensive to repair. The title, license plates, and a required fee are submitted to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and a Salvage Certificate is issued for the vehicle.

A Revived Salvage is a salvage vehicle which has been repaired and reregistered with the DMV.
Be Cautious When Buying a Revived Salvage Vehicle

Although many salvage vehicles are expertly repaired, some vehicles:

* Are not properly repaired and/or tested and may be dangerous to operate.
* Have been repaired with stolen parts. If the California Highway Patrol or DMV determines the vehicle or its parts have been stolen, the vehicle cannot be registered and the vehicle or parts will be seized.

How To Identify a Salvaged Vehicle

First, look at the title. The title will tell you:

* If the vehicle is salvaged.
* The mileage when the vehicle was last sold.
* Who the owner of record is.

Sellers, including dealerships, are legally required to disclose the vehicle’s salvage title and history, but the law is difficult to enforce, especially when cars come in from another state. Be sure the seller is indeed the owner. If the seller isn’t the owner or an authorized agent for the owner, he or she is not entitled to sell the vehicle, and you are not entitled to buy it. If the seller’s name is not on the title, there must be documentation, such as a bill of sale, dealer report of sale, or power of attorney, authorizing that person to sell the vehicle.

Next, inspect the vehicle itself. Some of the following "clues" may indicate the vehicle has an undisclosed salvage history.

* Signs of major repairs on the inner fender structures.
* Mud, mold, or rust under the carpet in the trunk.
* Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) plate attached with materials other than rivets.
* Safety restraint light is always on.
* Airbag covers are resealed or improperly installed.
* National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) labels which usually appear on doors, inside hood, tailgate, or hatchback are missing.

You might also want to check various aspects of the vehicle's history by using the following links. By clicking on any of these links, you are acknowledging and agreeing (1) to not hold the State of California, Department of Motor Vehicles, liable for any reason relating to the condition, identification, or status of a vehicle, including, but not limited to, whether the information is inaccurate, (2) the State of California, Department of Motor Vehicles, does not endorse or make any representations with respect to any vehicle, and (3) the State of California, Department of Motor Vehicles, does not have a duty or ability to ascertain any facts from these links at the time application is made for initial registration or transfer of ownership of a vehicle.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-07-2007, 11:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGwhat!!! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Salvaged-Vehicles marked with a "salvaged" brand were involved in an accident or incurred considerable damage from another source, such as a flood or vandalism. This brand includes previously dismantled (junked) vehicles.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly, if it has taken that much damage, to the extent it has the same title as a totalled car, I would not buy it.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:50 PM

from what i understand a car is totaled when the cost of repairs surpasses the cost of the vehicle. so when you decided to keep the car that was stolen and stripped and rebuild it, it will have a "salvaged" title because you have decided to rebuild even though you insurance considered it a total loss.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:07 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGwhat!!! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">from what i understand a car is totaled when the cost of repairs surpasses the cost of the vehicle. so when you decided to keep the car that was stolen and stripped and rebuild it, it will have a "salvaged" title because you have decided to rebuild even though you insurance considered it a total loss.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, but see, that is the PROBLEM! People do not want rebuilt cars. If they are rebuilt, which means they aren't stock, which means they might not be as reliable (depending on who did the rebuild), and that means it's value goes .
Old 12-08-2007, 12:16 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djessenz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes, but see, that is the PROBLEM! People do not want rebuilt cars. If they are rebuilt, which means they aren't stock, which means they might not be as reliable (depending on who did the rebuild), and that means it's value goes .</TD></TR></TABLE>
thats fine but it doesnt mean a car cant have a salvaged title due to theft in california
Old 12-08-2007, 10:19 AM

Oh, well, think about it, my 1999 Honda Civic EX Is worth around $5.2k private party. Do you know what $5.2k in damage is? Half of the people on craigslist are liers. When I was car shopping I went and saw a LOT of salavaged due to theft cars, most of them were in accidents from what I can tell... Bumper paint doesn't match original, fenders have obviously been replaced, some even had damage still there (e.g. hit 1/4 panel). Now, what I'm advising the OP is to WATCH OUT! Sure, there maybe some honest guys out there, but this is the car market, it's a bunch of theifs trying to sell their car so they just say it's salvaged title due to theft, and not an accident.

So just watch out, take somebody who knows a lot about collision damage and repair with you if you don't know, have them check it out for you.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:02 PM

nevermind. i ran a carfax and it was in an accident.... thats some wack sh*t.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car has a VIN on the engine and also every major body part; trunk, doors, fenders, bumper, firewall, etc. If all of these numbers are there and match, then the car could be okay.